Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Minor League Baseball cuts 40 Teams

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/sources-milb-ready-to-agree-to-significant-reduction-in-teams/

This would take away MLB affiliation from the following teams:

Double-A

Binghamton Rumble Ponies
Chattanooga Lookouts
Erie SeaWolves
Jackson Generals

High Class A

Lancaster JetHawks
Daytona Tortugas
Florida Fire Frogs
Frederick Keys

Low Class A

Beloit Snappers
Burlington Bees
Clinton LumberKings
Lexington Legends
Hagerstown Suns
West Virginia Power

Short-Season

Auburn Doubledays
Batavia Muckdogs
Connecticut Tigers
Lowell Spinners
Mahoning Valley Scrappers
Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
State College Spikes
Staten Island Yankees
Tri-City Dust Devils
Vermont Lake Monsters
Williamsport Crosscutters

Rookie

Billings Mustangs
Bluefield Blue Jays
Bristol Pirates
Burlington Royals
Danville Braves
Elizabethton Twins
Grand Junction Rockies
Great Falls Voyagers
Greeneville Reds
Idaho Falls Chukars
Johnson City Cardinals
Kingsport Mets
Missoula Osprey
Ogden Raptors
Orem Owlz
Princeton Rays
Rocky Mountain Vibes

That's too bad. I like minor league baseball and have seen some of those teams on that list play. 

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I'm really bummed about the Billings Mustangs.  I grew up going to those games as a kid.  Billings just built a nice ballpark in 2008 that is a fantastic place to watch a game.

The Mustangs are one of the teams on that list I've seen play, and you're right it's a nice ballpark. The others are the Lancaster JetHawks and West Virginia Power. 

Also not sure what this means for the Northwest League.

With Tri-Cities and Salem-Keiser gone, that leaves only 6 teams.  And it sounds like MiLB is getting rid of short-season.  Do Boise, Spokane, and the others become long-season A or drop to Rookie League?

From the sounds of it, there will be 30 teams (one for each MLB team) at each Level (AAA,AA,A, Rookie) for a total of 120 teams.

This is just an initial list made before the pandemic-- and a leaked list at that-- so I think it is just a starting place for negotiations. Likely, no teams would have been cut had Covid not happened. Now it seems much more likely.

There are a lot of issues to be worked out. For example, the entire Pioneer league appears to be on the list. I have been to about 7-8 parks on this list. The Rocky Mountain Vibes, for example, are housed in what used to be a Triple A park and it is pretty nice. I'd be very surprised if some team doesn't continue to play there. The Northwest League would lose 2 teams under the scenario proposed above. Seems like two other teams would need to come from somewhere to make an 8 team league.

Farewell Dust Devils :(

Over the past decade I've averaged about 10 Dust Devil games per season.  Sad news.

All I can say is i hope like hell they don't try and fold our local Canadian Major Junior hockey team.  I've been a season ticket holder for the Tri-city Americans since 2008.  From my cold dead hands!

Going to Doubledays games in Auburn, NY remains one of my all-time favorite sporting experiences. Minor league ball in the northeast, especially after a long winter, is the effing best. This bums me out to no end. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

People really need to learn to read the whole article.

If both sides agree, it would mean as many as 42 current minor league teams would be lopped off by eliminating short-season and Rookie ball. Two independent league teams, the St. Paul Saints and Sugar Land Skeeters, would be added to affiliated ball. The two sides are working on a potential deal to ensure the majority of those 42 markets would have still have baseball with ties to MLB in a system that has long-term viability.

MLB’s initial plan last year laid out a “Dream League” for undrafted players as well as summer wood bat leagues for college prospects to replace affiliated ball in many of the cities that were on the chopping block. MiLB operators raised concerns that those proposals were not financially viable over the long term.

Now, MiLB and MLB are expected to discuss the parameters of a system where the two sides could work together to ensure that most of the cities that currently have affiliated baseball will have ties to MLB clubs, even if those cities’ teams will not be fielding draftees and signees of the MLB club. It wouldn’t be MLB’s initial proposal, but a system that has been adjusted to give those cities a better chance of having a viable long-term baseball operation.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

People really need to learn to read the whole article.

If both sides agree, it would mean as many as 42 current minor league teams would be lopped off by eliminating short-season and Rookie ball. Two independent league teams, the St. Paul Saints and Sugar Land Skeeters, would be added to affiliated ball. The two sides are working on a potential deal to ensure the majority of those 42 markets would have still have baseball with ties to MLB in a system that has long-term viability.

MLB’s initial plan last year laid out a “Dream League” for undrafted players as well as summer wood bat leagues for college prospects to replace affiliated ball in many of the cities that were on the chopping block. MiLB operators raised concerns that those proposals were not financially viable over the long term.

Now, MiLB and MLB are expected to discuss the parameters of a system where the two sides could work together to ensure that most of the cities that currently have affiliated baseball will have ties to MLB clubs, even if those cities’ teams will not be fielding draftees and signees of the MLB club. It wouldn’t be MLB’s initial proposal, but a system that has been adjusted to give those cities a better chance of having a viable long-term baseball operation.

Yea, but i imagine its a lot harder to maintain support when the team is unaffiliated with a MLB team.

22 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Also, I think it sucks that they are keeping a lot of these teams In major metro areas that already have MLB teams while getting rid of a bunch of small town teams. 

It does, especially in a place like MT or ID, where they might be the only game in town for sports during that time. 

Memphis used to have a AA team called the Memphis Chicks who played at Tim McCarver Stadium (opened in the 70s)

754d8956cc687f202bba256572486c8a.jpg

they kept threatening to move if Memphis wouldn't build a new stadium...Memphis said it'll take 5-6 years but it would happen.

they didn't want to wait and signed a deal with Jackson TN to move to their brand new (at the time) Pringles Park.

Memphis built it's park anyway and St Louis ended up awarding Memphis it's AAA team (the Redbirds). AutoZone Park is consistently called one of the nicest non MLB parks in America

IMG_7226.jpg

1291917941-vfiles16313.jpg

I only bring it up because I see Jackson is one of the teams being cut...That's karma, Chicks...should have stayed in Mempho-daddy 

mem skyline sig.jpeg