Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Trump suspending immigration

10 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

That's what I figure, since it is seasonal work. I am surprised that they are owner willing to pay $20/hr. I have never heard/seen that before.

The Napa vineyards have gone to wages close to that due to their labor shortage. They have been recruiting workers from other areas such as Lodi with the higher wages plus competing with each other for workers.

From 2017:

A year ago, the 31-year-old from Mexico was earning $14.75 an hour doing the same work for a different Napa company. He joined Silverado in April and now he’s making $19.50 working vineyards that produce grapes for a winery whose bottles go for about $300.

<snip>

But Silverado, the farm labor contracting company in Napa, has never had a white, American-born person take an entry-level gig, even after the company increased hourly wages to $4 above the minimum. And Silverado is far from unique.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

58 minutes ago, Bob said:

It's a market where where supply and demand determines the prices for goods and services without artificial inefficiencies like illegal immigration

You just argued the exact opposite of labor supply and demand....y argued command and control. 

Posted Image

10 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

No I get it... "I believe in free markets (insert modifier here)."

It's OK to admit that you're against free markets. The new GOP is coming to terms with that, so you should too. 

Well, I am for "free market capitalism" but they call it "open borders".  I am so sick of these right wing commies with all their big government regulations. 

Posted Image

9 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

But Silverado, the farm labor contracting company in Napa, has never had a white, American-born person take an entry-level gig, even after the company increased hourly wages to $4 above the minimum. And Silverado is far from unique.

Soft gringos

15 hours ago, mugtang said:

But I thought we could open up

Do any of you actually know what this entails as in the details or are you just making assumptions that often make you look silly shortly after when someone has to educate you on the reality? I honestly don’t know anything about it because I’m down for the count today, but soon I will check it out. 

kat.jpg

59 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Bob you really have no idea what you're talking about. 

Illegal immigration is the efficiency. It's the solution to the market inefficiency of the concept of a "country".  "illegal immigration" is by definition creation of an unfree market. when you decide that them people over there can't do work cause they're better at it than us people over here, that is an unfree market. In a free market, anyone could come over and work for whatever the owners would pay. 

As an aside, Bob, what the hell do you think the result of this policy is!? The market would jack up food prices enormously. YOU WORK AS A LANDLORD! What the hell do you think happens to people like you, historically, when food prices abruptly rise?????? Do you think people stop being able to afford to eat and whelp that's the end of that? Jesus +++++ing christ dude! This is like an intellectual advocating for communism or a trans person arguing for fascism! What the hell do you think happens the second you get your way?????

"Buenos dias senor gobernamiento mexicano. Mi nombre es happy no tengo papeles and im here for my handout, how long till i get mi beneficios?"

"chinga tu ma.... pinche gabacho" ----> happy in the "market" hoozgow

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

Do any of you actually know what this entails as in the details or are you just making assumptions that often make you look silly shortly after? I honestly don’t know anything about it because I’m down for the count today, but soon I will check it out. 

Please tell me you didn't get coronavirus at one of those "freedom" rallies.

4 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Do any of you actually know what this entails as in the details or are you just making assumptions that often make you look silly shortly after when someone has to educate you on the reality? I honestly don’t know anything about it because I’m down for the count today, but soon I will check it out. 

It probably doesn't mean a lot, especially if it is only for the period of the federal disaster declaration.  One question is what if someone was already approved and inbound?

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

Those are Trump only rallies. Lots of Dem business people are protesting too. You guys like dividing people way too much.

You're not making sense. Get some rest. 

4 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Nobody cares about that meaningless announcement. It was for politics, nothing else. This thread turned into a broader conversation about immigration.

38 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Nobody cares about that meaningless announcement. It was for politics, nothing else. This thread turned into a broader conversation about immigration.

A political board thread morphing into something besides the OP's original point? No way!

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I got it from your wife last night. Those aren’t  “Trump-only” rallies. Lots of Dem business people are protesting too. You guys like dividing people way too much.

You do know he called it a freedom rally and not Trump or Repub....   Covid can result in slower brain function.  Better get checked Convert.   

1 hour ago, Akkula said:

So, his big announcement is that he really isn't banning immigration,  just not approving green cards for 60 days to people who likely already have other visas.   Wow,  scary!:facepalm:

Yeah all it’s going to do is +++++-up plans for young kids who have already likely had their marriage ceremony postponed.   

12 hours ago, happycamper said:

Well, yeah. There are problems with lasseiz faire capitalism. Most people agree. But.. Bob? Just so we're clear? "The Wall", job visas, and enforcing illegal immigration is just one big regulation. 

For who, Bob? Sure, pickers might get 35 bucks an hour. Great. What are baristas and janitors and retail workers going to get?

YOU WORK AS A LANDLORD! You know what happens when people have to choose between eating and rent? The BEST CASE scenario for you is probably that there's a rent strike and you have to take a 40% pay cut and rents are decreased globally. The worst case is bam, we look like Syria in 5 years (pro tip: food prices skyrocketing is what made Syria destroy itself and also so many civil wars that it is depressing). 

From your posts you are objectively doing great from the status quo. You have a great job, you make bonuses, you're building your own capital. That would mean you want to maintain the status quo... so vote what used to be Republican. This craziness is tipping the apple cart that fees you! That's the opposite of being conservative!

Your replies to him remind me of 

Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

5 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah all it’s going to do is +++++-up plans for young kids who have already likely had their marriage ceremony postponed.   

Trump just likes to have a big announcement to grab attention.   Hopefully everyone just ignores his "ban" and continues focusing on his virtues response because people will just renew or obtain H1b, student,  and agricultural visas with his toothless "ban."

Posted Image

23 hours ago, Bob said:

Disagree. There's tons of people that would pick strawberries at $22.50/yr. Plus people are willing to live in man camps in North Dakota while sharing one hooker if the price is right. But nevertheless, the stats don't lie, I guess.

There are? Show me. Farmers here can’t get enough people to fill their labor shortage. This is in a county with a yearly average unemployment percentage of 25%. Field work sucks and most Americans refuse to do it. Life in the processing facilities isn’t much better. Your solution would destroy agriculture in this country and that’s a fact. Face it Bob, every bit of food you put on your table is there because the illegal immigrants you despise do the work you and I refuse to do. These people want the same exact things in life you do, and they work their asses off every day to try and achieve it. Unlike you and I, they get exploited, abused, deported, and vilified by the very same people they bust their asses to feed. Quit being a dick, get some compassion.

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

Wow you make a lot of assumptions here, bro. My point was the market would take care of the wage whether it is $22.50 or $44.50/hr. Everything's got a price. I'd be opposed to Norwegians, Swedes, Germans, Scots , French, Poles or anyone else illegally immigrating into our country not just Mexicans. Also, not true about the food. Illegals harvest produce. They don't grow or harvest the grain or corn that makes the Crispix I ate this morning. I feel like being a lot ruder to you, but I won't

And you know this for a fact?  Also I’m assuming you had milk with that cereal:

https://www.jsonline.com/in-depth/news/special-reports/dairy-crisis/2019/11/12/wisconsin-dairy-farms-rely-immigrant-workers-undocumented-laborers/2570288001/

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

19 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Little girls like yourself get so emotionally melodramatic about thread titles and let your dumb ridiculously silly biases go crazy with some of the stupidest shit known to mankind grace this fine board.

kat.jpg