Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brew_Poke

Don't drop sports, cut football coaches' salaries

14 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

I didn't read the article or the thread but I will say it's pathetic that CFB HC's can make millions+ and the athletes can't make money that they can spend however they please. 

Now that’s a comment that’s never been said before.😋

On 4/17/2020 at 12:17 PM, BacksThePack said:

Why not just axe football entirely since it's at a loss for all but a handful of programs.

DISAGREE once you factor in exposure angle.  One-of-the-largest single days for online applications to CSU was the day we beat Missouri in the first round of the NCAA.

The way it engages alumni & alumni giving is PRICELESS for a majority of D-1a pgms.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:07 AM, Nevada Convert said:

They pay him that much and get those results?  Damn. 

Going .500% while recruiting to Laramie is worth several-million/yr is todys mrkt.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:13 AM, Nevada Convert said:

How can schools drop sports and still meet conference requirements and Title IX?

It's some pretty abstract math, but I'm guessing you can handle it:

By dropping more men's sports than women's sports

The real question here, is how many will drop below the D-1a minimums, or how long will the NCAA grant wavers.

On 4/20/2020 at 11:18 AM, Broncomare said:

I know.  I'm actually the one that says to remove football from Title IX requirements. 

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

There needs to be two formulas.  One for revenue production pgm & another for all the rest...

On 4/24/2020 at 12:26 PM, NevadaFan said:

All that money and he buys a POS bike.... what a waste. 

I bet you the only thing he's wearing that he had to pay for himself was socks, underwear & the duct tape.

How can you make out the nameplate/logo on that MTB?

5 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

I bet you the only thing he's wearing that he had to pay for himself was socks, underwear & the duct tape.

How can you make out the nameplate/logo on that MTB?

I can look at the fork (chrome stanchion?) and tell it’s a cheap POS. Makes me sick people with money buy crappy bikes. 😂

6 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

DISAGREE once you factor in exposure angle.  One-of-the-largest single days for online applications to CSU was the day we beat Missouri in the first round of the NCAA.

The way it engages alumni & alumni giving is PRICELESS for a majority of D-1a pgms.

That’s called an anecdote. Without a chit ton of fees from 30k students at CSU, tuition breaks for athletes, other free $$ from its admin, and zero taxation... like all programs in the MWC CSU is losing money on football. I get you’re going to argue about “free marketing” and other nonsense that you can’t measure... but it’s reality.

Then... add payroll to that mess. If this model goes through most programs in the MWC should go all in with basketball cause it will be very hard if not impossible to afford the new model. 

On 5/27/2020 at 3:30 PM, GoState99755 said:

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

There needs to be two formulas.  One for revenue production pgm & another for all the rest...

Bullshit. It's fine just the way it is.

How about taking a look at the numbers of coaches and assistants of various kinds?  At USU there are a head coach, 10 assistant coaches/coordinators and 14 others on the football staff - graduate assistants, administrative assistants, etc. a total 0f 25.  In addition, the football program receives assistance from academic support, wellness, and training personnel.  How many of these folks are actually essential and how many are simply part of the "arms race"?

Possibly the best Aggie team in history, 1961, ranked in the top 10, had four coaches and one also served as the head track and field coach.  The 1936 team was undefeated with one coach E. L. Romney.

Times have changed, I get it, but how much is enough or essential?

On 5/27/2020 at 5:20 PM, GoState99755 said:

There's a lot of use cases for schools that cut football and how things suffered long term.  In the short (and possibly medium) term, it worked out for the schools, but a lot of long term donations, less applicants,

There's a handful of schools that who have certain profiles that wouldn't be hurt. (I think a school like Rice is one of them).  But there's a reason most schools who play D1 football are playing it--and why more schools have been adding than dropping it as a whole. (Even though there's stuff like long term damage from playing it, arguably less kids than ever starting the sport, etc)

I'm guessing in a lot of schools, head coaches are probably "unofficially" taking some pay cuts, but they are going to put the money into their assistant coaches salaries, program etc.

"That’s called an anecdote."

It's more than an anecdote. There are numerous instances where applications shot up. Here's one where applications increased by 30%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hbsworkingknowledge/2013/04/29/the-flutie-effect-how-athletic-success-boosts-college-applications/?sh=74454f386e96

Another instance is the increase in TCU applications after winning the Rose Bowl.

Others instances could be listed here.

For most if not all universities sports is the only sustainingconnection between alumni and an university. It's why a school can succeed on a $billion fundraiser with money from thousands of alumni. Break that connection and you can forget the fundraiser.

7 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

It's a sport with a bloated squad made up of significant number of athletes with ZERO rowing experience prior to being awarded a full scholarship.

Live by the ratio.

Die by the ratio

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

11 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

It's a sport with a bloated squad made up of significant number of athletes with ZERO rowing experience prior to being awarded a full scholarship.

Live by the ratio.

Die by the ratio

You don't see this headline too often - "it has too many female athletes for Title IX compliance."

In SDSU’s case, Wicker says they have too many female athletes compared to the university’s overall undergraduate enrollment and “needed to do something more aggressive” to balance them in the other direction

I was caught completely by surprise,” Zack said. “They had been told in various team meetings that San Diego State University was not contemplating cutting sports. Because I was told that or I heard that in many meetings, I relayed that message to them anytime they asked me.

“They’re devastated, they’re crying, they’re upset. They’re dumbfounded how Title IX, which is known for the Yale women’s rowing team and their protests, is being used against them.”

If @SleepingGiantFan is still around, looks like the Cal States have ditched CAL NOW.  

Two things changed. One is the California State University system no longer follows the stricter gender equity parameters of Cal NOW, a settlement from a 1993 court case that set specific guidelines for its athletic departments in participation, scholarships and expenses.

The other is SDSU’s percentage of undergraduate male enrollment, which has bucked national trends and increased from 41.3 percent in 2005 to 45 percent now.