Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brew_Poke

Don't drop sports, cut football coaches' salaries

22 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Drop sports not required by the conference, or maybe cut some scholarships on both the men's and women's side

The Mountain West Conference sponsors championship competition in eight men's and ten women's NCAA sanctioned sports.[19] Hawai'i is only an associate member for football, and Colorado College is only an associate member for women's soccer.”

In order for MWC schools to ‘drop’  certain sports, the league is going to have to rewrite “conference sports and Title IX requirements” for the league. 

For myself, i can picture UNM sports offerings being...

Men: football, basketball, *baseball, *tennis. (4)

Women: basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, indoor-outdoor TF/XC, *swimming and diving. (7) 

* = maybe

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

The Mountain West Conference sponsors championship competition in eight men's and ten women's NCAA sanctioned sports.[19] Hawai'i is only an associate member for football, and Colorado College is only an associate member for women's soccer.”

In order for MWC schools to ‘drop’  certain sports, the league is going to have to rewrite “conference sports and Title IX requirements” for the league. 

For myself, i can picture UNM sports offerings being...

Men: football, basketball, *baseball, *tennis. (4)

Women: basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, indoor-outdoor TF/XC, *swimming and diving. (7) 

* = maybe

There is still a current minimum number of sports required for Division 1 (14, although for FBS I think it's 16.  Somehow UTEP gets away with that, they sponsor 14).  And schools must carry at least one men's team sport in the fall, winter and spring.  

FWIW, while volleyball and women's hoops are head count (all full scholarships), the others are not.  A school could in theory reduce the number of scholarships for soccer, softball, etc. without cutting the sports and still remain Title IX compliant. 

If UNM was to fall back to that hypothetical offering you laid out, at some point women's scholarships and sports would have be cut too. 

Not everyone sponsors baseball (Wyoming, USU, CSU) and/or softball (Wyoming, Air Force) in the MWC.  

3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

And no @Broncomare , I am not advocating cutting women's sports. 

I know.  I'm actually the one that says to remove football from Title IX requirements. 

down in a hole.jpg

The coaches that make obscene amounts of money coach at schools that can afford to get by without cutting sports. The ones that don’t, don’t make enough money where a school can just cut the salary and save a sport. Kind of a catch-22.

14 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

They should do the honorable thing and cut the entire school. 

On 4/20/2020 at 3:07 PM, jdgaucho said:

There is still a current minimum number of sports required for Division 1 (14, although for FBS I think it's 16.  Somehow UTEP gets away with that, they sponsor 14).  And schools must carry at least one men's team sport in the fall, winter and spring.  

FWIW, while volleyball and women's hoops are head count (all full scholarships), the others are not.  A school could in theory reduce the number of scholarships for soccer, softball, etc. without cutting the sports and still remain Title IX compliant. 

If UNM was to fall back to that hypothetical offering you laid out, at some point women's scholarships and sports would have be cut too. 

Not everyone sponsors baseball (Wyoming, USU, CSU) and/or softball (Wyoming, Air Force) in the MWC.  

UTEP has 6 mens sports.  Cross Country, Indoor track, Outdoor track, Golf, Basketball and Football for a total of 15 sports.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

1 hour ago, 1IvyDog said:

UTEP has 6 mens sports.  Cross Country, Indoor track, Outdoor track, Golf, Basketball and Football for a total of 15 sports.

I stand corrected then.  UTEP has 15.  But they're still under the FBS requirement of 16 sports overall.  

UTEP has 16.  T&F is Indoor/Outdoor for both genders.

Men's sports Women's sports
Basketball Basketball
Cross country Cross country
Football Golf
Golf Rifle
Track & field Soccer
  Softball
  Tennis
  Track & field
  Volleyball
† – Track and field includes both indoor and outdoor

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 4/24/2020 at 1:26 PM, NevadaFan said:

All that money and he buys a POS bike.... what a waste. 

Bike snobs are almost as annoying as beer snobs. :thumbsup:

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

UH President, the AD, and Gridiron/Hoops HCs took six-month pay cuts voluntarily.  Texas did the opposite..pay bumps north of a quarter million $$ for 3 asst FB coaches despite merit pay freeze for faculty and regular folk staff (to avoid layoffs)...lols.

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

33 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

Texas did the opposite..pay bumps north of a quarter million $$ for 3 asst FB coaches despite merit pay freeze for faculty and regular folk staff (to avoid layoffs)...lols.

https://college-sports.texastribune.org/compare/?q1=university-of-houston&q2=university-of-texas-at-austin

The UH athletics department receives $7,546,458 from student fees and $17,609,027 from the university.

The UT athletics department receives $0 from student fees and $0 from the university.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 hours ago, RSF said:

UTEP has 16.  T&F is Indoor/Outdoor for both genders.

Men's sports Women's sports
Basketball Basketball
Cross country Cross country
Football Golf
Golf Rifle
Track & field Soccer
  Softball
  Tennis
  Track & field
  Volleyball
† – Track and field includes both indoor and outdoor

Sorry Mistake GIF

15 hours ago, Brew_Poke said:

$3.35 an hour, plus tips. What qualifies as a living wage in Wyoming.

Wow, it has jumped ten cents since I've left Wyoming.  People are making the big bucks now!!  Wyoming still does not have income tax, do they?

down in a hole.jpg

What successful program is going to lose a proven coach. Trying to cut a salary is tantamount to firing the coach and good coaches will find someone willing to pay their price. Move ahead 1 year and then try to rebuild a staff and have the success needed to fund the AD at that time. Corona politics involved in everything these days. Most of us are just trying to get to the other side of this mess.