Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

What is your favorite thing about the city of Fresno?

6 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This is a feel good thread.  Please do not say anything mean.  We are always talking about how filthy, uneducated and crime infested Fresno is, this is not that thread.  Please no links to them being considered the dumbest, dirtiest and most dangerous city in the country.

They have this cool underground garden thingy.

They have a Black Angus.  Best franchise restaurant in America.

What say you guys?  What are the charming things you like about Fresno?

2 hours ago, dogpound14228 said:

Not to rain on your lovely parade here, but this is no longer true:

https://www.fresnobee.com/living/food-drink/bethany-clough/article241076741.html

I must take Black Angus for granted. Maybe b/c there are two in my area that are a 10-min, or less, drive from my place. (Several in the region that are w/in 30 min drive.) Didn't realize what a big deal and exclusive they are in some areas.

I’ve lived in the Bay Area for 10+ years and have only briefly been to Fresno twice (both times for Rams-Bulldogs games). I’d be interested in hearing more about things to do in the Central Valley since I’m not far away. What’s this underground garden thing? 

My Grandmother once told me “if you don’t have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut”. In deference to her I will refrain from trolling this thread.

25 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

I’ve lived in the Bay Area for 10+ years and have only briefly been to Fresno twice (both times for Rams-Bulldogs games). I’d be interested in hearing more about things to do in the Central Valley since I’m not far away. What’s this underground garden thing? 

http://www.undergroundgardens.com/

https://g.co/kgs/bAHLxC

110926run_defense710.jpg

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Fixed for accuracy.

I loved Fresno when I lived there as a kid. Of course, it was for just a few years and our house was brand new and in what was then the last development at the north end of town and we had a horse pasture literally behind our back fence. (Unlike cow shit, horse manure doesn't draw flies and the horses would sometimes lean over the fence and we'd feed them sugar cubes.)

Horse manure does not draw flies ? Sorry my friend it sure does draw flies.

2 hours ago, Ram1554 said:

We have a Zoo in not the best part of town, but great to take smaller kids to. Agri-tourism has really taken off over the years with the Madera Wine Trail, Blossom Trail, etc. Take a drive in the summertime and check out the blossom trail where you'll find the best tasting fruit produced for the world. An old schoolhouse from the 1920s turned restaurant is a neat spot to check out to https://www.schoolhousesanger.com/. Fruit stands and farmer markets run the spring through summertime. Tower District is a cool place to go to, reminds me of San Francisco. Lots of good bars and restaurants.

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

Horse manure does not draw flies ? Sorry my friend it sure does draw flies.

Not in Fresno. In fact, that's the absolute best thing about Fresno.

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

The Dog House Grill across the street from Fresno State. 

It still blows my mind that Dog House hasn't opened up a second location at River Park, I think they would make a killing over there. I love Dog House, but it's a pain in the ass to find parking every time I visit so I resort to parking at the new shopping center down the block and walk over. The owners opened a Firestone Grill here in Bakersfield and they have the exact same menu as Dog House so I no longer have to deal with the crowds.  

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

There's lots to do just outside of Fresno if you are the outdoors type with lots of great hiking in the northeast past Shaver Lake if you don't want to deal with the crowds at Yosemite. They also have China Peak for snowboarding and skiing. During my college days my friends and I would go out on Saturdays and hike along the trails past Hutington Lake. That was the first time I ever saw a bear in the wild staring back at me from about 20 yards away. It walked away back into the trees after a few seconds, but it spooked us pretty good.   

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

Gonna be honest, I don't like the SJV, but it's home. I'd prefer to live elsewhere, but there are some things that hold me here for now. All of that noted, I do like the area for the excellent access it provides to an awesome mountain range. I am an outdoors type and enjoy long walks in the backcountry, away from the car camping mobs. Plenty of decent peaks to take, good climbing (the world class kind), and some great swimming holes. Most people don't love Fresno for Fresno, they love it for the access it gives to so many other things that are not Fresno, and that, to me at least, is the best thing about Fresno.

Other than Pat Hill's fu and sweaty hat...

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dogs4Me said:

Gonna be honest, I don't like the SJV, but it's home. I'd prefer to live elsewhere, but there are some things that hold me here for now. All of that noted, I do like the area for the excellent access it provides to an awesome mountain range. I am an outdoors type and enjoy long walks in the backcountry, away from the car camping mobs. Plenty of decent peaks to take, good climbing (the world class kind), and some great swimming holes. Most people don't love Fresno for Fresno, they love it for the access it gives to so many other things that are not Fresno, and that, to me at least, is the best thing about Fresno.

Other than Pat Hill's fu and sweaty hat...

Gottdamn this is a good response.  Remember that time I was telling you about some cool features of Idaho and random Boise fan bit my head off for telling our secrets to a Californian?

You need, just need to make it up here.  I would personally guide you to some of the most remote, rugged trout streams on earth where all you do is catch a fish every 10 casts.  Big ugly bull trout, beautiful West Slopes Cutty's, the occasional (about 2 times a day) 30 inch + salmon.  If you love shitting in the woods as much as I do, get your ass up here.

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Not in Fresno. In fact, that's the absolute best thing about Fresno.

This is actually true.  There are so many worse smelling things in Fresno, that the flies are drawn away.

21 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

The Tower District 

The Tower Theater is still open but Butterfield's Brewery & the Daily Planet have closed in recent-yrs.  :-(