Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

He defunded the WHO in the middle of a Pandemic!?!

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

China is a funding country.   Which is part of the problem.  Who you should punish is China but to do that is an economic punishment.  

China funds at a rate of 10% what the US funds at.  The US will have their way. 

Yes, China needs punished over this.  I agree that we can't shut them off from our economy, but I think there will be some strong posturing on the issue and some equally strong but more subtle actions carried out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a summary of the Global Reaction.  But sure, believe hardcore Republicans like @Nevada Convert and @thelawlorfaithful.   Nice representation you have got their UNR.   Good thing you have @mugtang to balance them out.

* GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER HEIKO MAAS

“Apportioning blame doesn’t help. The virus knows no borders,” Maas said on Twitter on Wednesday.

“We have to work closely together against #COVID19. One of the best investments is to strengthen the @UN, especially the under-funded @WHO, for example for developing and distributing tests and vaccines.”

* NEW ZEALAND PRIME MINISTER JACINDA ARDERN

“At a time like this when we need to be sharing information and we need to have advice we can rely on, the WHO has provided that. We will continue to support it and continue to make our contributions,” she said.

* AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER SCOTT MORRISON

Morrison said he sympathised with Trump’s criticisms of the WHO, especially its support of re-opening China’s “wet markets”, where freshly slaughtered animals are sold and where the outbreak first appeared in the city of Wuhan late last year.

“But that said, the WHO also as an organisation does a lot of important work including here in our region in the Pacific and we work closely with them,” Morrison said.

“We are not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater here, but they are also not immune from criticism and immune from doing things better.”

* U.N. SECRETARY GENERAL ANTONIO GUTERRES

“Not the time” to reduce resources for WHO operations.

“Now is the time for unity and for the international community to work together in solidarity to stop this virus and its shattering consequences,” he said.

* MIKE BLOOMBERG, FOUNDER OF BLOOMBERG PHILANTHROPIES

“Withholding funding from the WHO is an attempt by the president to shift blame for his own failures to prepare our country for this crisis – and tragically, it will lead to more suffering and death around the world.

“While the president points fingers, others are taking action. We must do everything we can to help them, and Congress must not let this dangerous decision stand.”

* PETER PIOT, DIRECTOR OF THE LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MEDICINE

“Halting funding to the WHO is a dangerous, short-sighted and politically motivated decision, with potential public health consequences for all countries in the world, whether they are rich or poor.

“This pandemic is not over anywhere until it is over everywhere. Strong support from the United States has always been key for WHO’s effectiveness, and must continue.”

* LIESBETH AELBRECHT, GENERAL DIRECTOR FOR MSF SUISSE (SWITZERLAND)

“This is the wrong message to send during a pandemic when a coordinated public health response is more important than ever. Ending this pandemic will require unprecedented cooperation between nations and multilateral institutions. The World Health Organization was established specifically to provide a forum for international cooperation during global public health emergencies”

* CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC

Pierre Somse, CAR’S health minister, said Trump’s move was “a regrettable decision that will have harmful effects on the functioning of the WHO and on world health, because the WHO supports many countries in the health sector.”

* CHAIRMAN, U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES FOREIGN AFFAIRS COMMITTEE

“With each passing day of this worsening crisis, the president is showing us his political playbook: blame the WHO, blame China, blame his political opponents, blame his predecessors - do whatever it takes to deflect from the fact that his administration mismanaged this crisis and it’s now costing thousands of American lives,” Democratic representative Eliot Engel.

* U.S. CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION

Directed requests for comment to the White House.

Among those questioning the president’s decision to act now was Dr. Redfield, head of the CDC, who heaped praise on the W.H.O. during an appearance on Wednesday on “CBS This Morning,” saying that questions about what the group did during the pandemic should be left until “after we get through this.”

Dr. Redfield said that the W.H.O. remained “a longstanding partner for C.D.C.,” citing efforts to fight the Ebola virus in Africa and the cooperation to limit the spread of the coronavirus. And he added that the United States and the W.H.O. have “worked together to fight health crises around the world — we continue to do that.”

* AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT

Dr. Patrice Harris called it “a dangerous step in the wrong direction that will not make defeating COVID-19 easier” and urged Trump to reconsider.

 

* JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR HEALTH SECURITY

“The move sends the wrong message during the middle of a pandemic,” said Dr. Amesh Adalja, an infectious diseases expert and senior scholar.

Adalja said the WHO does make mistakes, as it did in delaying the response to the Ebola outbreak in 2013 and 2014 in West Africa. He said reforms may be needed, but that work needs to take place after the pandemic has passed.

“It’s not the middle of a pandemic that you do this type of thing,” he said.

Adalja said the WHO collects information about where the virus is active in every county in the world, which the United States needs to help guide decisions about when to open borders.

* MELINDA GATES, CO-CHAIR OF BILL & MELINDA GATES FOUNDATION

“Halting funding for the World Health Organization during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds,” she said on Twitter. “Their work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped no other organization can replace them. The world needs the WHO now more than ever.”

* DAVID HEYMANN, FORMER SENIOR WHO OFFICIAL AND CURRENT PROFESSOR AT THE LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MEDICINE

“The strength of WHO is that it is able to bring together public health experts from around the world to exchange information, review scientific evidence, and make evidence based consensus recommendations on disease prevention and control. 

“I have no doubt that WHO will continue to work in this manner during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

* SCHOOL OF MEDICINE AT BRITAIN’S LEEDS UNIVERSITY

Stephen Griffin, a Leeds professor, described Trump’s move as “perhaps one of the least productive, most short-sighted, self-motivated and hypocritical acts I have ever witnessed”.

“The situation in the U.S. and the world over amounts to a crisis, and one in which we must stand together. WHO is perhaps one of the best means of achieving this and deserves the support and respect of all countries.”

* INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF NURSES (ICN)

Howard Catton, head of the Geneva-based ICN, which represents 132 national nursing associations, said: “The last thing we need now is for funding to be pulled and WHO to be undermined.”

“Frontline nurses and other health workers will be shocked and angered and deserve better.

“At this moment when we are facing a pandemic unprecedented in modern times, we must support WHO, not cut off its oxygen supply. We must target the virus not WHO, if we are to beat it.”

* U.S. ORGANISATION PROTECT OUR CARE

“This is nothing more than a transparent attempt by President Trump to distract from his history downplaying the severity of the coronavirus crisis and his administration’s failure to prepare our nation,” said Chair Leslie Dach, who served as the global Ebola coordinator for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

“To be sure, the World Health Organization is not without fault but it is beyond irresponsible to cut its funding at the height of a global pandemic. This move will undoubtedly make Americans less safe.”

* VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER

“This virus doesn’t need passports. In a few short months it has travelled to all of the continents of the world except Antarctica. If there were ever an event that showed us how we need to work tougher as a global community, this is it,” said Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Here is a summary of the Global Reaction.  But sure, believe hardcore Republicans like @Nevada Convert and @thelawlorfaithful.   Nice representation you have got their UNR.   Good thing you have @mugtang to balance them out.

* GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER HEIKO MAAS

“Apportioning blame doesn’t help. The virus knows no borders,” Maas said on Twitter on Wednesday.

“We have to work closely together against #COVID19. One of the best investments is to strengthen the @UN, especially the under-funded @WHO, for example for developing and distributing tests and vaccines.”

* NEW ZEALAND PRIME MINISTER JACINDA ARDERN

“At a time like this when we need to be sharing information and we need to have advice we can rely on, the WHO has provided that. We will continue to support it and continue to make our contributions,” she said.

* AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER SCOTT MORRISON

Morrison said he sympathised with Trump’s criticisms of the WHO, especially its support of re-opening China’s “wet markets”, where freshly slaughtered animals are sold and where the outbreak first appeared in the city of Wuhan late last year.

“But that said, the WHO also as an organisation does a lot of important work including here in our region in the Pacific and we work closely with them,” Morrison said.

“We are not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater here, but they are also not immune from criticism and immune from doing things better.”

* U.N. SECRETARY GENERAL ANTONIO GUTERRES

“Not the time” to reduce resources for WHO operations.

“Now is the time for unity and for the international community to work together in solidarity to stop this virus and its shattering consequences,” he said.

* MIKE BLOOMBERG, FOUNDER OF BLOOMBERG PHILANTHROPIES

“Withholding funding from the WHO is an attempt by the president to shift blame for his own failures to prepare our country for this crisis – and tragically, it will lead to more suffering and death around the world.

“While the president points fingers, others are taking action. We must do everything we can to help them, and Congress must not let this dangerous decision stand.”

* PETER PIOT, DIRECTOR OF THE LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MEDICINE

“Halting funding to the WHO is a dangerous, short-sighted and politically motivated decision, with potential public health consequences for all countries in the world, whether they are rich or poor.

“This pandemic is not over anywhere until it is over everywhere. Strong support from the United States has always been key for WHO’s effectiveness, and must continue.”

* LIESBETH AELBRECHT, GENERAL DIRECTOR FOR MSF SUISSE (SWITZERLAND)

“This is the wrong message to send during a pandemic when a coordinated public health response is more important than ever. Ending this pandemic will require unprecedented cooperation between nations and multilateral institutions. The World Health Organization was established specifically to provide a forum for international cooperation during global public health emergencies”

* CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC

Pierre Somse, CAR’S health minister, said Trump’s move was “a regrettable decision that will have harmful effects on the functioning of the WHO and on world health, because the WHO supports many countries in the health sector.”

* CHAIRMAN, U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES FOREIGN AFFAIRS COMMITTEE

“With each passing day of this worsening crisis, the president is showing us his political playbook: blame the WHO, blame China, blame his political opponents, blame his predecessors - do whatever it takes to deflect from the fact that his administration mismanaged this crisis and it’s now costing thousands of American lives,” Democratic representative Eliot Engel.

* U.S. CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION

Directed requests for comment to the White House.

* AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT

Dr. Patrice Harris called it “a dangerous step in the wrong direction that will not make defeating COVID-19 easier” and urged Trump to reconsider.

 

* JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR HEALTH SECURITY

“The move sends the wrong message during the middle of a pandemic,” said Dr. Amesh Adalja, an infectious diseases expert and senior scholar.

Adalja said the WHO does make mistakes, as it did in delaying the response to the Ebola outbreak in 2013 and 2014 in West Africa. He said reforms may be needed, but that work needs to take place after the pandemic has passed.

“It’s not the middle of a pandemic that you do this type of thing,” he said.

Adalja said the WHO collects information about where the virus is active in every county in the world, which the United States needs to help guide decisions about when to open borders.

* MELINDA GATES, CO-CHAIR OF BILL & MELINDA GATES FOUNDATION

“Halting funding for the World Health Organization during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds,” she said on Twitter. “Their work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped no other organization can replace them. The world needs the WHO now more than ever.”

* DAVID HEYMANN, FORMER SENIOR WHO OFFICIAL AND CURRENT PROFESSOR AT THE LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MEDICINE

“The strength of WHO is that it is able to bring together public health experts from around the world to exchange information, review scientific evidence, and make evidence based consensus recommendations on disease prevention and control. 

“I have no doubt that WHO will continue to work in this manner during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

* SCHOOL OF MEDICINE AT BRITAIN’S LEEDS UNIVERSITY

Stephen Griffin, a Leeds professor, described Trump’s move as “perhaps one of the least productive, most short-sighted, self-motivated and hypocritical acts I have ever witnessed”.

“The situation in the U.S. and the world over amounts to a crisis, and one in which we must stand together. WHO is perhaps one of the best means of achieving this and deserves the support and respect of all countries.”

* INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF NURSES (ICN)

Howard Catton, head of the Geneva-based ICN, which represents 132 national nursing associations, said: “The last thing we need now is for funding to be pulled and WHO to be undermined.”

“Frontline nurses and other health workers will be shocked and angered and deserve better.

“At this moment when we are facing a pandemic unprecedented in modern times, we must support WHO, not cut off its oxygen supply. We must target the virus not WHO, if we are to beat it.”

* U.S. ORGANISATION PROTECT OUR CARE

“This is nothing more than a transparent attempt by President Trump to distract from his history downplaying the severity of the coronavirus crisis and his administration’s failure to prepare our nation,” said Chair Leslie Dach, who served as the global Ebola coordinator for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

“To be sure, the World Health Organization is not without fault but it is beyond irresponsible to cut its funding at the height of a global pandemic. This move will undoubtedly make Americans less safe.”

* VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER

“This virus doesn’t need passports. In a few short months it has travelled to all of the continents of the world except Antarctica. If there were ever an event that showed us how we need to work tougher as a global community, this is it,” said Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert.

Like I said.  They didn't lose a nickel, they lost a potential budget line item.  Everything you just posted declares the need for WHO to be responsible in this.  They weren't.  The international community deserves the review of their actions and their agenda.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

China funds at a rate of 10% what the US funds at.  The US will have their way. 

Yes, China needs punished over this.  I agree that we can't shut them off from our economy, but I think there will be some strong posturing on the issue and some equally strong but more subtle actions carried out.

If we want to go after China instead of cover his ass we have much better alternatives.

What Trump should have done is say:

The WHO could not accept critical data from Taiwan on this Pandemic because the US and the UN do not recognize Taiwan as an official state.  China has proven it cannot be fully trusted and the world needs Taiwan's opinion.  As such the US is opening full diplomatic relations with Taiwan and hopes our allies and the UN will do the same so in the future information from Taiwan will receive due consideration.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sactowndog said:

If we want to go after China instead of cover his ass we have much better alternatives.

What Trump should have done is say:

The WHO could not accept critical data from Taiwan on this Pandemic because the US and the UN do not recognize Taiwan as an official state.  China has proven it cannot be fully trusted and the world needs Taiwan's opinion.  As such the US is opening full diplomatic relations with Taiwan and hopes our allies and the UN will do the same so in the future information from Taiwan will receive due consideration.  

No, he shouldn't have said that. 

He should have said that WHO was complicit in thousands of deaths due to being China's lapdog and we are pausing their funding from the US pending a review.  Well, he got it half right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Like I said.  They didn't lose a nickel, they lost a potential budget line item.  Everything you just posted declares the need for WHO to be responsible in this.  They weren't.  The international community deserves the review of their actions and their agenda.

We shall see.  The US was a 15-18% of their budget where every dime was needed to fight this global pandemic.   My guess is China may step up as a means of supplanting the US as a global leader.  With the buffoon we have in the White House we are rapidly loosing global credibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

No, he shouldn't have said that. 

He should have said that WHO was complicit in thousands of deaths due to being China's lapdog and we are pausing their funding from the US pending a review.  Well, he got it half right.

So we can have thousands more deaths in the rest of the world where the virus is still spreading. 

Just amazingly +++++ing stupid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

So we can have thousands more deaths in the rest of the world where the virus is still spreading. 

Just amazingly +++++ing stupid. 

Not sure where you get your facts.  Pretty damn sure I'm not stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I can not believe people are defending China and the WHO.

 

Late stage TdS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

We shall see.  The US was a 15-18% of their budget where every dime was needed to fight this global pandemic.   My guess is China may step up as a means of supplanting the US as a global leader.  With the buffoon we have in the White House we are rapidly loosing global credibility.

China’s been doing a bang up job leading haven’t they.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Not sure where you get your facts.  Pretty damn sure I'm not stupid.

Then tell me what happens when the Virus explodes in Africa and Southeast Asia and comes back into the US again because the WHO didn’t have the resources to fight it.   At a time the Gates Foundation is pouring in more money to fight it globally the President is cutting resources.   It’s like cutting 20% of the Forest Services budget in the middle of a terrible fire season. 

An Action that is amazingly stupid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sactowndog said:

Then tell me what happens when the Virus explodes in Africa and Southeast Asia and comes back into the US again because the WHO didn’t have the resources to fight it.   At a time the Gates Foundation is pouring in more money to fight it globally the President is cutting resources.   It’s like cutting 20% of the Forest Services budget in the middle of a terrible fire season. 

An Action that is amazingly stupid. 

They can get money from their daddy China.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mugtang said:

They can get money from their daddy China.  

I’m not supporting China.... I suggested recognizing Taiwan for China’s role in the cover-up.  

I’m arguing against defunding the WHO in the middle of a pandemic.   Allowing it to reignite in other parts of the world sounds like a real bright idea.   Nothing like having another round of this shit in November because our President defunded the WHO.   

Philanthropist Bill Gates, a major funder of the WHO, said it was "as dangerous as it sounds".

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Then tell me what happens when the Virus explodes in Africa and Southeast Asia and comes back into the US again because the WHO didn’t have the resources to fight it.   At a time the Gates Foundation is pouring in more money to fight it globally the President is cutting resources.   It’s like cutting 20% of the Forest Services budget in the middle of a terrible fire season. 

An Action that is amazingly stupid. 

Let me type slowly here.  We didn't do anything to their checkbook.  We made a future line item in a budget questionable.  It's temporary, the WHO hasn't lost a nickel.  Yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, edluvar said:

image.jpeg.74dad603627bab89b93193918330c223.jpeg

Got it.  Don't address the issue, just throw out some TDS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Got it.  Don't address the issue, just throw out some TDS.

Trump has a history of getting rid of agency’s designed to protect our health, wealth, and planet.   I’m sure he has some super awesome secret plan to safeguard us from future outbreaks.  The WHO has only been doing it since WW2.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I agree with all of that.  First of all, they're going to stay.  Not a choice I prefer, but I think it's reality.  Secondly, I completely agree on greater oversight from the funding countries.  Right down to analysis of their expense accounts.  For that matter, the same could be said of a lot of these international agencies we fund.

They spend $200 million to $240 million on travel expenses. $1,000 per night hotel suites, 1st class flights, expensive restaurants, etc.  The AP got some of the numbers from someone inside WHO. From 2013 to 2017 when the story was written, they had spent nearly $1 billion on travel expenses.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna762896
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...