Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpartanGrad

Fauci Supports Fan-free Sports

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29038491/dr-anthony-fauci-promotes-single-site-fan-free-return-sports

At San Jose State, this is known as every Saturday in the Fall. We've clearly been preparing for this moment for years. We are by far the safest stadium for social distancing. I'm honestly shocked the board hasn't been pulling on this SJSU string. 

spartan-hands.gif

2 hours ago, SpartanGrad said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29038491/dr-anthony-fauci-promotes-single-site-fan-free-return-sports

At San Jose State, this is known as every Saturday in the Fall. We've clearly been preparing for this moment for years. We are by far the safest stadium for social distancing. I'm honestly shocked the board hasn't been pulling on this SJSU string. 

There's a reason we're located in Silicon Valley. We're innovators. IPads Up!

I can watch sports on mute.  While hearing the crowd makes it better, it doesn't kill the entire watching experience.  But I do not know if this is fiscally responsible for many schools who will be paying for travel and stadium operations with no ticket sales.  

Pro leagues and some programs in college conferences with large media deals could probably absorb the costs.  

3 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I can watch sports on mute.  While hearing the crowd makes it better, it doesn't kill the entire watching experience.  But I do not know if this is fiscally responsible for many schools who will be paying for travel and stadium operations with no ticket sales.  

Pro leagues and some programs in college conferences with large media deals could probably absorb the costs.  

It will definitely hurt most schools badly to not have ticket sales. I'm sure schools will try to absorb some of that cost by asking tickets to still buy "tickets" if they can. I am sure I will still buy season tickets even if I can't go to the games.

This is a big problem and MANY schools don't have big TV deals and they get most of their money from ticket sales, parking, concessions, souvenir sales (and OOC body bag games).  What about games vs BCS teams that aren't even televised?  Is it worth even playing?  What about the a game like Georgia State vs. Old Dominion?  Probably won't be televised and without ticket sales doesn't seem worth playing.  College football isn't the NFL.  Even the MWC only gets a a little over a million for their TV rights.  Without fans, football season will be a net loss money wise.  

We say it all the time about the lower tier bowl games. Its not about BITS, it’s about tv marketing.. or something like that.

I’m fine with watching a sports event with no fans in the stands.  Pipe in the crown noise, and let em play... AFTER every coach, player, cameraman, and announcers, are tested and confirmed, negative... play ball!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

From a competitive standpoint, I have to think having no crowd noise drastically affects the players during the game. Crowd noise can add so much to the game that would be missing. It will be a shame if that ends up having to happen.

5 months is still an eternity with this kind of situation and everyone is assuming the worst. But even assuming the worst, by then there will be 5 minute test kits everywhere, everyone could pick one up in the parking lot, show your neg result as you show your ticket. They might have to add a few people to take tickets, but it would work. You could also add a person to touch the forehead of everyone coming through with one of those instant temp takers. And that kind of security would also make a lot more fans want to go to a game. 

kat.jpg

On 4/15/2020 at 6:19 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

We have crowd noise in Boise no matter what

:banana:

If you happened to have a really vocal visitor section, you could silence them if you wanted. Place mics in a few spots to pick up visitor section noise, run the sound waveform through an active noise cancellation circuit that outputs the an inverse waveform to cancel it out, and power that inverse waveform out of big speakers right back at the crowd. It wouldn’t cancel everything out, but it certainly would cancel at least 75% of it.

kat.jpg

On 4/15/2020 at 7:10 AM, SpartanGrad said:

user generated

On 4/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, namssa said:

This is a big problem and MANY schools don't have big TV deals and they get most of their money from ticket sales, parking, concessions, souvenir sales (and OOC body bag games).  What about games vs BCS teams that aren't even televised?  Is it worth even playing?  What about the a game like Georgia State vs. Old Dominion?  Probably won't be televised and without ticket sales doesn't seem worth playing.  College football isn't the NFL.  Even the MWC only gets a a little over a million for their TV rights.  Without fans, football season will be a net loss money wise.  

MWC gets a little over 3 million per team. Obviously not P5 money by any stretch, but it’s a lot more then any other non-P5 conference other then the AAC. Football would not be a net loss for the MWC without fans.

That being said I still don’t think it’s realistic for college football to be played without fans.