Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

New college basketball transfer rule

2 hours ago, fbpack said:

Will the new transfer rule be the end of mid major basketball? With players not having to sit out It is going to be hard for the MWC to produce good teams

Transfers from Oregon State, DePaul, Temple and Oregon all to UCSB say not a chance it's the end of mid major basketball. Location may play a factor, though. :coffeecomputer:

SDSU and UNLV will benefit greatly from this in hoops and SDSU in football.  Most of the rest of the MWC is screwed though with talent transferring up.  Power 5s in crappy locations are also screwed with downward transfers.  Glad to see this happening.  

About 1750 starting spots (5*350) and 4000 or so players in college basketball. Very few are able to play for top 40 teams and just want to get on the court and compete. I think there will definitely be even more transfers with the rule, but the math works both ways.

1 hour ago, AztecMD said:

SDSU and UNLV will benefit greatly from this in hoops and SDSU in football.  Most of the rest of the MWC is screwed though with talent transferring up.  Power 5s in crappy locations are also screwed with downward transfers.  Glad to see this happening.  

Boise will hold their own in both sports.

19 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Boise will hold their own in both sports.

Boise football rarely loses a player that transfers up. In basketball they have done WAY better at bringing them in than losing them to bigger schools. If Alston leaves for the NBA, their starting 5 will almost certainly be all transfers.

32 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Boise football rarely loses a player that transfers up. In basketball they have done WAY better at bringing them in than losing them to bigger schools. If Alston leaves for the NBA, their starting 5 will almost certainly be all transfers.

I agree. Once football recruits get here, they tend to love it here. And the transfer rule has definitely helped basketball. 

10 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

USU has a grad transfer that played with Virginia's national championship team. It goes both ways.

I figured he was just taking up space on the end of the bench in Virginia.  However I was wrong.  Marcus Anthony played 22-game for the Cavaliers that yr.

NICE GET BOISE.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I agree. Once football recruits get here, they tend to love it here. And the transfer rule has definitely helped basketball. 

Akot, anyone?

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Boise football rarely loses a player that transfers up.

WTF with Paris Austin though. Is that even transferring up to a Cal team that finished 12th and 8th out of 12 his two years there. Still bugs me because he could have really helped here those last two years.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Akot, anyone?

Not that good

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

You can hurt your program with too many transfers by damaging your reputation with HS kids.  HS talent will think twice about coming to your school if they know there's a strong possibility you'll recruit over them. I don't see a major change as long as everyone has the same number of schollys to give

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Not that good

TBD.  He enrolled in college a year too early. Sitting out, and "catching up" to his actual class may do him well.

The pressure in Boise is lower than in Arizona.  That will help too.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

WTF with Paris Austin though. Is that even transferring up to a Cal team that finished 12th and 8th out of 12 his two years there. Still bugs me because he could have really helped here those last two years.

That was one of the "rare" ones. He grew up in Oakland, one of his best friends played there, it wasn't a surprise that he commited to Cal days after he decided to transfer. That was unfortunate.