Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

GAME THREAD: 2020 United States Presidential Election, featuring the Battle for Control of the Senate and the House

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

No, that's just painful, don't know how anyone can listen. 

You know what this courtry's biggest problem is right now?  Those +++++ing liberal dishwashers and lightbulbs! 

Posted Image

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

TLP and RVAT are joining forces in Ohio.

Can’t wait for JoJo to take Ohio!

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

13 minutes ago, azgreg said:

All of that will garner her about 4.6% of the vote at most.

If only the zombies would wake up and stop worshipping their political parties.

8 hours ago, renoskier said:

No, that's just painful, don't know how anyone can listen. 

You clearly don't have TDS. For those of us afflicted with that alleged disease, Mr., Grumpy's idiocy is the pinnacle of entertainment. 

6 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Do you ever wonder if sometimes in your opposition to the two major parties, that you end up adopting all their tactics?

16 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Normally I'd agree with you but this year is different. Usually the goal is to elect someone, this year the goal is to get rid of someone.

People, not a fan.

2 hours ago, Akkula said:

You know what this courtry's biggest problem is right now?  Those +++++ing liberal dishwashers and lightbulbs! 

Policy by Fox News comment section. 

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Do you ever wonder if sometimes in your opposition to the two major parties, that you end up adopting all their tactics?

Yes. Scorched earth baby!!!

18 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yes. Scorched earth baby!!!

Your persistence is admirable. However, your goal is a fool's errand. Although many can relate to some portions of the Libertarian viewpoint, despite the party having been in existence for 49 years (I checked), its platform has always been and continues to be too odd to gain anything more than temporary regional traction.

This a fascinating article... and here's one of the most pertinent snips from it. 

One of the enduring mysteries of this most unusual of campaign seasons is why Trump’s precarious reëlection bid has not affected his standing with the Republican politicians who will be on the ballot alongside him. In the past, a historically unpopular President plummeting in the polls would have caused a slew of panicking pols to distance themselves. In July of 1980, when Jimmy Carter’s popularity sank into the low twenties and he hovered just under forty per cent in the polls in his race against Ronald Reagan, Carter even gave a speech in which he volunteered to stay away from Democratic members’ districts if they thought that his campaigning for them would hurt their chances. It didn’t work, of course, and when Carter was defeated by Reagan his party lost twenty-nine seats in the House and control of the Senate.

But the vast majority of Republicans this time are not abandoning Trump; some are even choosing to double down on their embrace of the President, a political choice that speaks loudly to the current moment. Part of it is that Trump is an unusually vengeful politician, one who is obsessed with loyalty and who does not hesitate to go after members of his party who cross him. On Tuesday night, Trump and his inner circle crowed when his former Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, was soundly defeated in a Republican primary in Alabama, a humiliating end to his bid to win back the Senate seat that he gave up to serve in Trump’s Cabinet. 
--------

Fear alone, however, does not explain what’s going on with Republicans. Not every state is Alabama, where Trump will win in November no matter what. Trump has been sagging even in reliably red states, such as Georgia and Texas—a Democratic Presidential candidate has not won the latter state since Carter, in 1976—where surveys now show Biden more or less even with Trump. The Dallas Morning News wrote the other day that “Trump represents a bigger threat to fellow Republicans than any GOP nominee in forty-four years.” As coronavirus cases spike in Texas, the crucial suburban voters in Dallas and Houston, who have long been the G.O.P.’s bedrock in the state, appear to be souring on the President. Yet Senator John Cornyn, a mild-mannered Republican-establishment type never previously seen as a Trumpite, has chosen to respond to his increasingly uphill reëlection challenge in Texas by becoming one of the President’s more ardent public defenders. He’s tweeting more. He’s trolling. He told Texans to go out and drink some Corona beer and not to panic about the disease. Democrats are now calling him Mini-Don. There are plenty of other Republican officeholders like him.

The best, or at least most vivid, explanation for this phenomenon that I’ve seen is a recent piece in Rolling Stone by the Republican strategist Tim Miller, an adviser to Jeb Bush’s doomed 2016 Presidential campaign who became a fervent Never Trumper. Miller asked nine G.O.P.-consultant friends who are still welcome in the Party why the “dumpster fire” that is the Trump 2020 campaign has not caused their Republican candidates to abandon the President. “There are two options, you can be on this hell ship, or you can be in the water drowning,” one told Miller. Miller’s report from the U.S.S. Hellship suggests that the trapped sailors are well aware of how badly Trump is faring but are unable to bail out—especially in competitive elections, where the Party can ill afford to lose any Republican votes. In rural Texas, one of Miller’s informants pointed out, “Trump gets like Saddam Hussein level numbers here.” Cornyn desperately needs those Trump superfans in order to win statewide. Loyalty to Trump among such voters now outweighs any policy position, which means that catering to them requires Cornyn to strike a hard pro-Trump line, even if it further alienates the suburban moderates now wavering on the President. “No dissent is tolerated,” a consultant in another state told Miller. And, besides, another strategist told him, the election is all about Trump—there’s no use pretending otherwise. Their observations are strikingly similar to a conversation that I had last month with a veteran Republican pollster, whose clients are running in competitive states. I asked him whether, given the bad and worsening poll numbers, we might soon see his candidates running away from the President. “I don’t think so,” he said, citing the Trump Twitter curse. “He stirs up his base all the time, so you can’t take a position to reach out to the independents who have trouble with his persona, because the Republican Trump base will turn on you in a second.” And so the Hellship sails on.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-trumps-washington/trumps-losing-so-when-are-republican-candidates-going-to-abandon-him

29 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Your persistence is admirable. However, your goal is a fool's errand. Although many can relate to some portions of the Libertarian viewpoint, despite the party having been in existence for 49 years (I checked), its platform has always been and continues to be too odd to gain anything more than temporary regional traction.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Bsutop25: the two party system is broken

Me: the two party system is broken

Bsutop25: nothing will change if you continue to vote for the lesser of two evils

me: nothing will change if I continue to vote for the lesser of two evils

Bsutop25: don’t vote for a person in mental decline with sexual assault allegations 

me: don’t vote for a person in mental decline with sexual assault allegations

Bsutop25: vote for....

me: Howie Hawkins!

Vote locked in, good talk!