Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

GAME THREAD: 2020 United States Presidential Election, featuring the Battle for Control of the Senate and the House

39 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You know very little about Thomas’ jurisprudence if you think that’s how he rules. In any case, a constitutional amendment can’t be ruled as unconstitutional because by its very nature it’s part of the constitution!

tenor.gif

I understand your point but I think it’s equally naive to assume the structure of our government is immune to an authoritarian take-over.   Judges are human and may well choose to side with Trump.   If the constitution is as infallible as you appear to believe, then the 2nd Amendment is pointless.  We might as well forgo all the pain and misery the ocean of guns causes.   

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Did you check into how he funded the wall moron?  He abused the emergency powers to abridge Congress’s power of the purse.  He had also completely ignores the emoluments clause as foreign government routinely stay at his hotels, not to mention Ukraine.   The question isn’t if Trump is going to rip up the constitution.  The question is how far can he go before he is stopped.  

The Foreign Emoluments Clause is a provision in Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution,[1] that prohibits the federal governmentfrom granting titles of nobility, and restricts members of the federal government from receiving gifts, emoluments, offices or titles from foreign states and monarchies without the consent of the United States Congress. Also known as the Titles of Nobility Clause, it was designed to shield the federal officeholders of the United States against so-called "corrupting foreign influences." The clause is reinforced by the corresponding prohibition on state titles of nobility in Article I, Section 10, and more generally by the Republican Guarantee Clausein Article IV, Section 4.[2]

lol Ukraine, you mean the country Biden strong armed a prosecutor in and his cokehead son was getting paid big bucks in?  Just to be clear so I can get this in a quote so i can show how much of a dipshit you are in 4.5 years... You're saying Trump is going to attempt to stack the court to amend constitution in order to get a 3rd term? 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

9 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

lol Ukraine, you mean the country Biden strong armed a prosecutor in and his cokehead son was getting paid big bucks in?  Just to be clear so I can get this in a quote so i can show how much of a dipshit you are in 4.5 years... You're saying Trump is going to attempt to stack the court to amend constitution in order to get a 3rd term? 

I’m not predicting anything.  But like the founding fathers, I think the 2nd Amendment is in place for a reason.

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Yet the Amendment hasn’t been tested in the Supreme Court has it.   Should Trump appoint two more jurists like Thomas to replace RBG and Breyer, do you think the odds are zero they won’t support Trump?

7 hours ago, sactowndog said:

I understand your point but I think it’s equally naive to assume the structure of our government is immune to an authoritarian take-over.   Judges are human and may well choose to side with Trump.   If the constitution is as infallible as you appear to believe, then the 2nd Amendment is pointless.  We might as well forgo all the pain and misery the ocean of guns causes.   

I really hope you’re just trolling or joking here...  😂 

v0icAvfW.jpg

The likelihood that Trump is going to successfully petition for a third term is highly unlikely.

The bigger concern is what happens to the country after Nov. 3rd if one candidate - very likely Trump - appears to have a slight Electoral College lead as we go to bed on election night, but then over the next two weeks, as mail in ballots are counted, the EC count shifts to Biden. 

My Trump supporting friends often say to me, “Don’t listen to want Trump says, watch what he does.” But words matter a great deal when coming from the bully pulpit of the POTUS, and Trump has repeatedly said that the only way he loses the election is if it’s rigged. How will his supporters react if he concedes but says the election was rigged? How will anti-Trumpists react if there are shenanigans that appear to shift the vote to Trump? 

We are sitting on a powder keg playing with a zippo lighter.

11 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You know very little about Thomas’ jurisprudence if you think that’s how he rules. In any case, a constitutional amendment can’t be ruled as unconstitutional because by its very nature it’s part of the constitution!

tenor.gif

You are correct I don’t trust Thomas’s level of Jurisprudence.  He and Alioto consistently vote aligned with social conservative values.   How they would vote should such an issue arise to me isn’t certain.   Thomas is not Scalia or even Gorsuch.   

But before it reached that point he would have to be nominated by the Party.  Would it get that far?  Who knows.  Lots has happened that the Republican Party has looked the other way so hard to discount completely.   

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

I think you actually believe this is Trump’s endgame.  It’s sheer lunacy.

I don’t presume anything.  Based on Trumps words and actions he pretty much has followed the script for a right wing authoritarian leader.   And yet, you still refuse to answer the question.   Do you or do you not think our structures of government are such that the rise of an authoritarian leader is impossible? 

8 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I don’t presume anything.  Based on Trumps words and actions he pretty much has followed the script for a right wing authoritarian leader.   And yet, you still refuse to answer the question.   Do you or do you not think our structures of government are such that the rise of an authoritarian leader is impossible? 

Yes, Trump is the Anti-Christ who will usher in the end of life as we know it if he wins in November.  If he loses, he will refuse to concede and declare himself Supreme Leader of the Republic and the end result will be the same.  We’re screwed!!!! 

LinedPlayfulDragon-max-1mb.gif

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 minute ago, NorCalCoug said:

Yes, Trump is the Anti-Christ who will usher in the end of life as we know it if he wins in November.  If he loses, he will refuse to concede and declare himself Supreme Leader of the Republic and the end result will be the same.  We’re screwed!!!! 

LinedPlayfulDragon-max-1mb.gif

My question had nothing to do with Trump.  As usual the totality of your response is a laughing emoji and the same tired JIF.   Solid contribution to the board.  

3 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Trump Immediately after inauguration January 2021

power remake GIF

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

too funny

In an add to support our Troops the “only the best” involved in the Trump campaign used an image of Soviet MIGS.  (Freudian slip)

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/516421-trump-ad-mistakenly-uses-image-of-russian-jets-in-call-to-support-the

101A63A6-0066-4414-8E0C-B363AB7F4F5C.png

Those are Russian soldiers as well.