Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

GAME THREAD: 2020 United States Presidential Election, featuring the Battle for Control of the Senate and the House

12 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

First CNN doesn’t have the best track record with Trump. They’re to Trump what Fox News was to Obama.  

Second, if those people were so concerned why didn’t they 1) Resign in protest 2) Go immediately public with their concerns or 3) push to invoke the 25th amendment? 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

First CNN doesn’t have the best track record with Trump. They’re to Trump what Fox News was to Obama.  

Second, if those people were so concerned why didn’t they 1) Resign in protest 2) Go immediately public with their concerns or 3) push to invoke the 25th amendment? 

I agree which was why I said interesting if true...  

also you know why they didn’t as the impeachment hearings showed what happens when do.   Whistle blower protections only exist if the Senate will act which they won’t.  Hell even Inspector Generals have been fired. 

12 minutes ago, mugtang said:

CNN might not but Carl Bernstein sure as hell does.

People, not a fan.

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I agree which was why I said interesting if true...  

also you know why they didn’t as the impeachment hearings showed what happens when do.   Whistle blower protections only exist if the Senate will act which they won’t.  Hell even Inspector Generals have been fired. 

Maybe I just see it differently.  If I was working for a man that I believed was a threat to national security I’d probably be raising alarm bells left and right. And I would go down kicking and screaming, reputation be damned.  History would remember me as a patriot regardless of what Fox News said today.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 6/28/2020 at 12:22 AM, 415hawaiiboy said:

Tammy Duckworth getting some love in the NYT for VP.  The argument is compelling (even without the Hawaii ties).  Would definitely match the Biden mantra of voting to “restore decency.”

52 year old, former Illinois head of the VA, two time Congresswoman, and in her 4th year as Senator; has the national experience to be POTUS if Biden can’t make it.  She is half Thai and White.  Grew up poor, became a female combat helicopter pilot, and her Blackhawk got shot down in Iraq and she lost both legs.  Embarked on a comeback and is being considered for VP.  She’s moderate, somewhat pro-gun, but also said “I would leap into a burning fire to pull that flag to safety, but I will fight to the death for your right to burn it“ which should fire up the progressives and be acceptable (actually fire them up too with her military service) for the military supporters.

She doesn’t have the baggage of some of the 2020 female candidates for POTUS.  She’s the first one to call Trump “cadet bone spurs.”  She’s can be tough. She’s also a mother of two little kids.

Who aged 30-45 years old didn’t like Duck Tales?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/opinion/sunday/tammy-duckworth-biden-2020.html

I've been a big fan of hers for awhile now.

I believe her opening salvo was "she didn't need a lecture on military readiness from a 5 deferment draft dodging cadet bone spurs"

She got both those shots in on him. She's awesome.

One of the Final Five..........

8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Maybe I just see it differently.  If I was working for a man that I believed was a threat to national security I’d probably be raising alarm bells left and right. And I would go down kicking and screaming, reputation be damned.  History would remember me as a patriot regardless of what Fox News said today.  

Isn't that effectively what Mattis did?

To me it is starting to look like Trump is trying to keep the GOP in line. Maybe there is a little rebellion brewing.

Earlier today his tweet was that those not supporting him in the GOP were RINO's or stupid.

Later he posted two tweets to basically tell GOP politicians they need his backing to get reelected.

10 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Depends if you had a family and needed health insurance and/or a monthly income.   Pretty hard to throw away a career for which you have worked 15-20 years.  Do you ruin your kids chances at a college education for (you hope) 2 years of Trump?   Do you make a sick spouse lose health care?   

5 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

To me it is starting to look like Trump is trying to keep the GOP in line. Maybe there is a little rebellion brewing.

Earlier today his tweet was that those not supporting him in the GOP were RINO's or stupid.

Later he posted two tweets to basically tell GOP politicians they need his backing to get reelected.

Classic authoritarian. If he wins he will turn even more so on the Justice Department and Defense.   Control them and he can do whatever he wants. 

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Isn't that effectively what Mattis did?

Same with Bolton and he is being trashed.   Kelly said he believed Vindman more than Trump and the US Senate agreed if the President wants it... it becomes in the national interest.  A decision that will live in infamy.  

35 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Points taken, but what exactly in that article isn't believable considering what so many people have said over and over again, as well as the things we've witnessed in front of our eyes?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Points taken, but what exactly in that article isn't believable considering what so many people have said over and over again, as well as the things we've witnessed in front of our eyes?

I’m not saying it’s not believable.  Just playing devils advocate. 

Why should individuals risk their careers when politicians refuse to do theirs?

Aside from trump himself, McConnell is equally responsible for this mess. You can probably toss all of Congress in there. Bolton's claim that the dems failed to adequately scope out all of his crimes. That one is a little tougher for me to swallow given our partisan country but in hindsight they should have done more and worried less about the calendar.

For 4 years I have been saying the giant orange turd is manifestly unfit for the job. I warned checks and balances only work when all parties respect the laws.

But even I am a bit shocked at how woefully this has worked out. 

One of the Final Five..........