Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

GAME THREAD: 2020 United States Presidential Election, featuring the Battle for Control of the Senate and the House

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

This is the map based on current polling - If the polling holds Biden wins with 134 EV's still undecided - This map shows how little trump can lose from his 2016 map 

image.png

its good to see Utah at least a little lighter shade of red.

Some have even mentioned that Utah is in play this year, but I think that is a stretch. But, I do think with the amount of young people here, there is a strong shift more and more to blue.

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

Some have even mentioned that Utah is in play this year, but I think that is a stretch. But, I do think with the amount of young people here, there is a strong shift more and more to blue.

I don't see Utah coming into play - would take a serious mental shift in that state.

Utah is USA's closest thing to a middle eastern type theocracy run entity 

17 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I don't see Utah coming into play - would take a serious mental shift in that state.

Utah is USA's closest thing to a middle eastern type theocracy run entity 

Trump only got 45% of the Utah vote last election (82% voted), that will go down I suspect. 

5 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Trump only got 45% of the Utah vote last election (82% voted), that will go down I suspect. 

He only got 45% because of McMullin (21%).  I dont see how he could go down when Clinton only got 27%.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

Trump only got 45% of the Utah vote last election, that will go down I suspect. 

SLC is a bluish dot in an overall red sea - Some can't come to terms with trump entirely but there's more who will stay with trump / republicans just because of abortion ...........  in a state where the dominant ruling religion advocates childbearing as a competitive sport probably isn't going to switch over to a party that allows choice where abortion comes into play.

Utah did go for LBJ in 1964, but ever since the evangelical right got their hold on republican politics, Utah has been pretty much following suit with other bible thumping led states like the baptist midwest & southern states 

Two things republicans can toss out (abortion & guns) and that brings out the single issue voters in droves even when every other policy might hurt them in the long run 

2 minutes ago, RSF said:

He only got 45% because of McMullin (21%).  I dont see how he could go down when Clinton only got 27%.

McMullin gave them an out instead of voting trump.........and he's on the home team which never hurts in Utah 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/rex-huppke/ct-trump-biden-town-hall-qanon-rogers-calm-election-polls-huppke-20201016-3oke7rhwhbdrfcshgbnpqmimbe-story.html

Trump claimed to not know much about QAnon, though he has repeatedly shared tweets from Twitter users who support the conspiracy: “What I do hear about it is they are very strongly against pedophilia and I agree with that. I mean I do agree with that.”

Guthrie asked: “But there’s not a satanic pedophile cult …”

Trump responded: “I don’t know that.”

It was then that my soul briefly left my body. I think it needed to scream into the void.

I clicked to Biden and he was talking about the importance of wearing masks to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

I clicked back to Trump and he was wildly misrepresenting a study he clearly hadn’t read and saying — insanely and absolutely incorrectly— that 85% of people who wear masks get coronavirus.

At one point I returned to Biden’s town hall and wondered why my stomach had stopped shooting acid into my throat and my brain didn’t feel like it was about to explode and send my eyeballs flying across the room.

47 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I don't see it happening unless the demographics of the state begin to mirror the demographics of SLC. Utah is "young" because the overwhelmingly Republican LDS have a lot of kids, and I see no reason to believe that they will not grow up to be overwhelmingly Republican.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I highly doubt you're going to be doing so but feel free to say I told you so on November 4.

I'll be nice about it, I actually like you. I know some of you though are going to have a very hard time accepting reality. We've seen how well some of you accepted the last 4 years.

1 hour ago, Maji said:

Don't count on it. He'll probably blame voter fraud or some BS

There's not many things to complain about when you win. 

58 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Am I correct in thinking that SLC is now purple but the rest of the state remains almost completely red?

I ask because I know a lot more about Arizona and that state seems to be gradually turning purple. Tucson has been that color for quite some time and Phoenix seems to be gradually following suit whereas the entire rest of the state seems to think Trump is God.

6 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Am I correct in thinking that SLC is now purple but the rest of the state remains almost completely red?

I ask because I know a lot more about Arizona and that state seems to be gradually turning purple. Tucson has been that color for quite some time and Phoenix seems to be gradually following suit whereas the entire rest of the state seems to think Trump is God.

SLC is solidly blue. Our Congessman is a Democrat and we've had a Democrat as mayor since the 70's. The rest of the state is primarily red. But that is changing IMO.

21 minutes ago, Mano said:

I don't see it happening unless the demographics of the state begin to mirror the demographics of SLC. Utah is "young" because the overwhelmingly Republican LDS have a lot of kids, and I see no reason to believe that they will not grow up to be overwhelmingly Republican.

For better or worse I interact a lot with my daughters friends (first time they are old enough to vote). I dont know a single one that will vote for Trump. Most of them are Mormon and come from conservative backgrounds. I readily admit that maybe in seeing things through a skewed sample.

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

SLC is solidly blue. Our Congessman is a Democrat and we've had a Democrat as mayor since the 70's. The rest of the state is primarily red. But that is changing IMO.

The Salt Lake Tribune has recently been pushing some propaganda articles, pushing the narrative (their hope?) that there is a huge changing tide in Utah, and that all of the sudden people in Utah will become liberal Democrats (I guess policy ideas don't matter, just personalities?)

Won't likely happen.   Utahns are pretty solidly Republicans.   

Yes, SLC is solidly blue, due to Utah's strange makeup, but it is actually a relatively small city.  Population of SLC is 186K.    That's a tiny city.   There is like a new city every 3 miles in Utah.

The Congressman barely won the election because he is a "Blue Dog" (basically a Republican).  Who knows if he can win again?   (Gerrymandering from Republicans)

My guess is that Trump will get more votes this time around, because sadly, there is no third party option.