Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

GAME THREAD: 2020 United States Presidential Election, featuring the Battle for Control of the Senate and the House

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Speaking of goons, did you happen upon this story yet?: https://www.businessinsider.com/portland-america-trump-future-police-fbi-riots-border-patrol-protests-2020-10.

The federally deputized local cops, which we are now seeing in Portland, is really troubling. The law and order crowd can bite me.

Yea, I have read a little about the nature of the federal good squads up there but not as detailed as that. This is where stuff like rhetoric and loyalty tests matter... because you can fill an "elite" unit of skull thumpers who are completely on board over a period of four years, because why would you a) want to be in one of those units unless you were down with the cause, and b) the mechanisms for filling those units prioritize your loyalty to the cause and its leader. 

Pretty rough stuff. But you know, law and order. Keep those suburbs from descending into some Hobbesian nightmare. That's really what's going on here. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

What you failed to smear Biden so now you are going after Kamala....  typical Trump tactic.   

I just turned/mailed my ballot in a few days ago. Frankly, if Joe had had anyone other than her as a running mate (even someone crazy like Elizabeth Warren), I'd have voted for him. 

As it was, I wrote in Keith Richards for president and left the downballot races blank because the people running for the various offices were all crazy. I didn't want any part of supporting any of them. I almost voted for the Democratic guy running for House until I read that he was "all in" on trying to oust Bashar Assad in Syria. No thanks. That's a big issue to me and a red line I won't cross. Not because I like Assad (after all, I am probably the only person on the MWCBoard to have been beaten savagely by the Mukhbarat) but because I realize what kind of dangerous vacuum such an action would create. 

3 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I just turned/mailed my ballot in a few days ago. Frankly, if Joe had had anyone other than her as a running mate (even someone crazy like Elizabeth Warren), I'd have voted for him. 

As it was, I wrote in Keith Richards for president and left the downballot races blank because the people running for the various offices were all crazy. I didn't want any part of supporting any of them. I almost voted for the Democratic guy running for House until I read that he was "all in" on trying to oust Bashar Assad in Syria. No thanks. That's a big issue to me and a red line I won't cross. Not because I like Assad (after all, I am probably the only person on the MWCBoard to have been beaten savagely by the Mukhbarat) but because I realize what kind of dangerous vacuum such an action would create. 

Always vote 'Mericun....

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

2 minutes ago, RSF said:

Always vote 'Mericun....

The only issue that really matters to me is foreign policy from presidential candidates. It's one of the reasons I haven't been harping on Trump as much as others. I really like his foreign policy. Most everything else of his presidency leaves lots to be desired, but his foreign policy has been great IMO. As someone who lived in the Levant for many years, I find it sort of refreshing after the last 16+ years of warhawking. 

I didn't vote for him because I'm sick of the game show he's had going on for the last 4 years, but I almost voted for him based on his Joe-esque foreign policy maneuvering. 

9 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

The only issue that really matters to me is foreign policy from presidential candidates. It's one of the reasons I haven't been harping on Trump as much as others. I really like his foreign policy. Most everything else of his presidency leaves lots to be desired, but his foreign policy has been great IMO. As someone who lived in the Levant for many years, I find it sort of refreshing after the last 16+ years of warhawking. 

I didn't vote for him because I'm sick of the game show he's had going on for the last 4 years, but I almost voted for him based on his Joe-esque foreign policy maneuvering. 

Most of his naysayers had him pushing the red button within a month of him becoming president. 

1 minute ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Wannabe dictators of a feather flock together.

There's nothing "wannabe" about Erdogan as dictator. He's almost killed the experiment created by Ataturk IMO. 

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/gen-z-millennial-vote-organizers-hope-to-channel-youth-energy-into-historic-turnout

Nevada’s overall early and absentee voter turnout in 2018 for ages 18-29 was 36,804. As of Thursday, with just five days until Election Day, that number was 96,498, about a 162 percent increase, according to the Democratic data firm TargetSmart. TargetSmart’s data shows that early vote turnout so far has also grown about 55 percent when compared to the 2016 presidential election.

This all just got more interesting for me.

I've been put on call from tonight through Wednesday morning due to the election and potential attacks around the internet associated with it. Can't really go into much more detail than that, but this is going to be a wild next 4-5 days. 

This is what I’m seeing locally. 2 weeks ago I didn’t see much Trump excitement. Now it looks to be at least as strong as 2016. Mini Trump rallies are all over town now. I didn’t see that in 2016. Does it mean more votes who knows but it certainly looks like the base is fired up for Trump. 

Just another side bit 3/4 of the supporters gathering are women. 

Does this mean anything from a red state maybe not. Apparently this is happening in Pennsylvania as well. 

There are signs that Trump might win this thing again. Again I didn’t see this in 2016. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

1 minute ago, robe said:

This is what I’m seeing locally. 2 weeks ago I didn’t see much Trump excitement. Now it looks be at least as strong as 2016. Mini Trump rallies are all over town now. I didn’t see that in 2016. Does it mean more votes who knows but it certainly looks like the base is fired up for Trump. 

Just another side bit 3/4 of the supporters gathering are women. 

Does this mean anything from a red state maybe not. Apparently this is happening in Pennsylvania as well. 

There are signs that Trump might win this thing again. Again I didn’t see this in 2016. 

The cult wasn't developed overnight.  They were just Republicans then.

3 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Oh man! I thought this was just an election between two old guys. Apparently the stakes are MUCH higher!

Seems unfair.

Oprah isnt even running...

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

Oh brother completely unnecessary. Name calling is always been the best weapon for the liberals.

I expect this kind of response out of you. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.