Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

GAME THREAD: 2020 United States Presidential Election, featuring the Battle for Control of the Senate and the House

7 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

@bornontheblue See how he didn't justify his side's actions by only selectively pointing out the misdeeds of the other side? This is what truly criticizing the state of political discourse should look like.

Also, who knew Keith Olbermann was still a thing. :shrug:

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

@bornontheblue See how he didn't justify his side's actions by only selectively pointing out the misdeeds of the other side? This is what truly criticizing the state of political discourse should look like.

Olberman said he's going back to political punditry and then released an especially ugly rant on YouTube.

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I laughed at this little blurb in KO's wiki page.

On October 6, 2020 he resigned (again) from ESPN to start a political commentary program on his YouTube channel.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Olberman said he's going back to political punditry and then released an especially ugly rant on YouTube.

When I saw Mitt's message I looked it up. I had no idea. He was a good Sportscenter guy, but he's always been a hack as a political pundit. Though to be fair, most pundits by definition are awful hacks. 

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Looks like he had to dig a bit into that bag to get enough to call out both sides. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

he has completely lost it. He was always skirting the edge of sanity, but he's crossed that line and there ain't no coming back

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Looks like he had to dig a bit into that bag to get enough to call out both sides. 

That's always the problem with the both sides argument, isn't it? While historically each side has contributed greatly to the downward spiral of discourse, at the moment Trump stands alone as the worst offender. But it's important to call out both sides when making this particular argument, otherwise it will be immediately dismissed. 

12 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

The Democrats  called Mitt Romney a woman abusing vulture capitalist, who delighted in  Taking peoples health insurance away and causing their deaths,  and  also abused dogs. Biden said he was going to put African Americans back in chains, and Romney the idiot foolishly just took the abuse because he was above that. He was an uninspiring candidate , who did not motivate the base to show up, and they didn’t. 

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That's always the problem with the both sides argument, isn't it? While historically each side has contributed greatly to the downward spiral of discourse, at the moment Trump stands alone as the worst offender. But it's still important to call out both sides when making this particular argument, otherwise it will be immediately dismissed. 

Mitt has put himself in a strange position politically.  He has sided just enough with the left that he has angered his far right base. But he's still popular enough with moderates that he could run for the Senate in either party  and most likely still be elected. 

21 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

The Democrats  called Mitt Romney a woman abusing vulture capitalist, who delighted in  Taking peoples health insurance away and causing their deaths,  and  also abused dogs. Biden said he was going to put African Americans back in chains, and Romney the idiot foolishly just took the abuse because he was above that. He was an uninspiring candidate , who did not motivate the base to show up, and they didn’t. 

I could spend hours going tit for tat with similar Republican transgressions, but it still won't help you get it. Until you embrace the idea that your side is not a victim, but a perpetrator, I'm afraid you will never fully understand why you are complicit in the behavior. 

10 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

9B92C654-7A62-439F-9916-A922104771F4.gif

Just now, NVGiant said:

I could spend hours going tit for tat all day long with similar Republican transgressions, but it still won't help you get it. Until you embrace the idea that your side is not a victim, but a perpetrator, I'm afraid you will never fully understand why you are complicit in the behavior. 

Just because I don't see something from your POV doesn't mean I don't get it. Stop being so self centric in your thought.  I understand your POV, and I disagree with it. 

I never claimed my side is a victim of anything. I am claiming that we finally shed ourselves of weak, ineffective leadership who wouldn't fight back. 

We could go punch, counter punch all day long, but I have an important tax deadline this week. I am going to focus on that now. Good day sir. 

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

Just because I don't see something from your POV doesn't mean I don't get it. Stop being so self centric in your thought.  I understand your POV, and I disagree with it. 

I never claimed my side is a victim of anything. I am claiming that we finally shed ourselves of weak, ineffective leadership who wouldn't fight back. 

We could go punch, counter punch all day long, but I have an important tax deadline this week. I am going to focus on that now. Good day sir. 

You still don't see the inherent contradiction in your argument. The bolded part — which shows tacit support of Trump's rhetoric and the continuation of your portrayal that your side is really only a reluctant participant sadly forced to counterpunch the real perpetrators — is only added evidence that you are not serious when you complain of the current state of discourse.

Thanks for the debate. Enjoy the taxes!

26 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Mitt has put himself in a strange position politically.  He has sided just enough with the left that he has angered his far right base. But he's still popular enough with moderates that he could run for the Senate in either party  and most likely still be elected. 

He ought to be used to it.  When he ran against Obama, I heard him called 'RINO' more than a few times.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

52 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That's always the problem with the both sides argument, isn't it? While historically each side has contributed greatly to the downward spiral of discourse, at the moment Trump stands alone as the worst offender. But it's important to call out both sides when making this particular argument, otherwise it will be immediately dismissed. 

Trump is so ignorant he wouldn't know it but one of his predecessors famously said "the buck stops here."

In Trumpistan, the shit starts with the president.