Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

GAME THREAD: 2020 United States Presidential Election, featuring the Battle for Control of the Senate and the House

25 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Does the California Republican Party have some relevance in D.C.? Yes. Does the California Republican Party have some relevance in Sacramento? No.

I can’t argue with that.  The only fights that matter in Sac are between the environmental whackos and the public unions.

Return of the GOP to relevance in Sac seems to be some ways off.  Although Newsoms jackassery gives me some hope.

5 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I can’t argue with that.  The only fights that matter in Sac are between the environmental whackos and the public unions.

Return of the GOP to relevance in Sac seems to be some ways off.  Although Newsoms jackassery gives me some hope.

They need to double the size of the CA legislature. It’s absolutely ridiculous that our state senators represent more people then our Congressional reps. And I say that knowing that it would probably allow for the GOP to gain a larger percentage of the total seats. 

47 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

image.png.8de4c1e1a04cadee6a9adfee49c27585.png

The GOP lives in CA!

Wasserman and Cook have called CA21.  Valadao hasn't claimed victory, and Cox hasn't conceded, but it appears Valadao will reclaim the seat he lost in 2018.  Nunes and McCarthy of course won as well.  Which gives us a solid red block in the southern San Joaquin.  If Garcia can make his 400 vote lead stand up in CA25, that gives us a nice stretch from Santa Clarita up to Fresno in red.  Kim and Steele pulled out wins down south too, which proves the GOP isn't quite dead there either.  Only mostly dead to quote Bill Chrystal.  Without the Trump drag in CA, and in what should be a favorable midterm, might have a chance in 16 and 10 in 2022. (I grant Costa will be a tough out, he's a good politician).  CA loses a seat this census, but most of the population growth has been inland.  We will have to see how that plays out with redistricting.

The path to relevance for the GOP in California is to break with the national party and far right on some issues and be a little center or left of the others. In other words, "Red Dog" versions of the Dem's Blue Dogs. That might be considered RINOs in other states but it would still be conservative in much of California.

Too many of the GOP candidates in California are too far right for their districts.

13 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

The path to relevance for the GOP in California is to break with the national party and far right on some issues and be a little center or left of the others. In other words, "Red Dog" versions of the Dem's Blue Dogs. That might be considered RINOs in other states but it would still be conservative in much of California.

Too many of the GOP candidates in California are too far right for their districts.

I agree with that.

I also think the only way for the republicans to win statewide is to win moderate Hispanics in SoCal.  And there are millions of them.  

They don’t just need to be more moderate they need to champion working class issues that the democrats are neglecting like school choice and urban gentrification.

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

I think there are some DINOs here that would be Republicans in other states, but just run with the D next to their name instead because it’s easier to get elected that way. Like one of my city councilman was a Republican for a while and switched to Democrat a few years ago and then ran for county supervisor as a Dem. He lost narrowly, but I guarantee he did better then he would have had he stayed a Republican. I think it’s going to be hard to convince people like that to stick with the GOP when they perceive it as not being the best for their self interest.

11 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think there are some DINOs here that would be Republicans in other states, but just run with the D next to their name instead because it’s easier to get elected that way. Like one of my city councilman was a Republican for a while and switched to Democrat a few years ago and then ran for county supervisor as a Dem. He lost narrowly, but I guarantee he did better then he would have had he stayed a Republican. I think it’s going to be hard to convince people like that to stick with the GOP when they perceive it as not being the best for their self interest.

Yep, thats how it works.

My friends dad who was the Tulare County  DA told my buddy/his son to register as a democrat if he ever wanted to be a judge.  Hes an assistant DA in Fresno County. (He didnt change his registration btw)

3 hours ago, CPslograd said:

I agree with that.

I also think the only way for the republicans to win statewide is to win moderate Hispanics in SoCal.  And there are millions of them.  

They don’t just need to be more moderate they need to champion working class issues that the democrats are neglecting like school choice and urban gentrification.

The problem becomes the vocal far right in the California party. A few years ago the Central Valley Tea Party was mad at Valadao and Denham for supporting the Democrats HR15 proposal because it provided illegal immigrants with a path to citizenship.

Last year, Assemblyman Chad Mayes proposed to add an anti-racism statement in the California GOP platform. The statement received pushback from SoCal Tea Party members at the convention before being approved. The Tea Party side of the CA GOP saw the statement as anti-Trump.

37 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

The problem becomes the vocal far right in the California party. A few years ago the Central Valley Tea Party was mad at Valadao and Denham for supporting the Democrats HR15 proposal because it provided illegal immigrants with a path to citizenship.

Last year, Assemblyman Chad Mayes proposed to add an anti-racism statement in the California GOP platform. The statement received pushback from SoCal Tea Party members at the convention before being approved. The Tea Party side of the CA GOP saw the statement as anti-Trump.

Agree again.  Hell, look how much they hammered Pete and Arnold.  People forget, but the right wing, especially the religious right wing hated Pete Wilson.  And local CA talk radio like John and Ken hated The Terminator.  

McCarthy gets your point btw.  Its a balancing act though, if you push too hard the primary voters push back.   Local Bakersfield talk radio arent huge McCarthy or Abernathy supporters.  (Abernathy runs Kern County republican party politics).

6 minutes ago, Maji said:

Probably wanted to keep his veto control. I'd imagine this supermajority will have major policy implications in NY

Especially considering NY DSA has had a decent amount of success getting some of their backed candidates in to the state legislature.

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Especially considering NY DSA has had a decent amount of success getting some of their backed candidates in to the state legislature.

It's up to states like NY to prove whether progressive legislation works. If NY implemented a successful healthcare system, it would be easier for Democrats to advocate for it nationally

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-11-30/christy-smith-concedes-to-mike-smith-in-tight-ca-25-race

Garcia pulled it out.  GOP got back 4 of the 7 they lost in CA in 2018.

Did you see that one in Iowa? 6 votes.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.