Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

GAME THREAD: 2020 United States Presidential Election, featuring the Battle for Control of the Senate and the House

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

It's always projection with those guys isn't it? I guarantee you Trump is on drugs because he said Biden is. Guarantee it.

It's straight from the Karl Rove playbook: project your greatest weakness onto your opponent.

That's why John Kerry got "swiftboated" in 2004. We were wise to getting lied into a needless war of choice by W, and unlike W, who's daddy pulled strings so he could kick it stateside and get booted from the Ticksass National Guard for sticking yayo up his nose, Kerry had actually served in Vietnam. That would have - and should have - been enough for Senator Talking Tree to win in '04. But Rove assembled his all-star team of douchebags who had never served with Kerry to slander him and discredit his service record.

And it worked.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

6 hours ago, youngredbullfan said:

Yeah, NC demographics are trending Dem. It's turning more into a state like Virginia with the Research Triangle and whatnot. I still think Trump gets enough people out of the boonies to pull off a close one.

We're still at least another cycle out from becoming like Virginia... but RTP is really booming and bringing a ton of those evil liburlllls out here. Even though we missed out on Amazon HQ2 and the secondary Apple campus, we're still getting a ton of expansion in RTP. I know that HPE has been expanding their footprint here with their acquisitions, and I know of at least three tech startups that are on the cusp of going IPO who have their entire support operations based out of here. Downtown Durham is getting a ton of tech expansion as well with most of Nutanix support residing there and due to expand again soon. A biotech firm that's based in Morrisville just announced another 900 jobs coming here through the end of next year as well. 

All that to say that even if Trump wins here this year, it's going to be a big battleground for the next few cycles and will likely end up something closer to Virginia as it stands now before all is said and done. 

10 minutes ago, retrofade said:

We're still at least another cycle out from becoming like Virginia... but RTP is really booming and bringing a ton of those evil liburlllls out here. Even though we missed out on Amazon HQ2 and the secondary Apple campus, we're still getting a ton of expansion in RTP. I know that HPE has been expanding their footprint here with their acquisitions, and I know of at least three tech startups that are on the cusp of going IPO who have their entire support operations based out of here. Downtown Durham is getting a ton of tech expansion as well with most of Nutanix support residing there and due to expand again soon. A biotech firm that's based in Morrisville just announced another 900 jobs coming here through the end of next year as well. 

All that to say that even if Trump wins here this year, it's going to be a big battleground for the next few cycles and will likely end up something closer to Virginia as it stands now before all is said and done. 

Who you got in NC?

38 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah, I was gonna post that. This would probably be the biggest scandal of the admin of the admin at least related to foreign affairs if it wasn't uncovered during covid 5 days from an election. It's wild stuff.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

8 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Yeah, I was gonna post that. This would probably be the biggest scandal of the admin of the admin at least related to foreign affairs if it wasn't uncovered during covid 5 days from an election. It's wild stuff.

Wild indeed. Just remarkable the length this administration goes to curry favor with autocrats. But this will barely make a ripple in the consciousness of most voters.

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Wild indeed. Just remarkable the length this administration goes to curry favor with autocrats. But this will barely make a ripple in the consciousness of most voters.

In this case, autocrats who send their goons to thump protesters on american soil.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

13 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

In this case, autocrats who send their goons to thump protesters on american soil.

Hey, it’s OK now to send the feds in to thump protestors in places like Portland, so what’s the big deal? 

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Hey, it’s OK now to send the feds in to thump protestors in places like Portland, so what’s the big deal? 

His relationship with Erdogan is representative of his presidency more than any cozying up to Putin, IMO.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

His relationship with Erdogan is representative of his presidency more than any cozying up to Putin, IMO.

I agree. It also shows just how little he cares about his own foreign policy. Tough on Iran is a nice slogan, but his real priority is something far different. 

30 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Speaking of goons, did you happen upon this story yet?: https://www.businessinsider.com/portland-america-trump-future-police-fbi-riots-border-patrol-protests-2020-10.

The federally deputized local cops, which we are now seeing in Portland, is really troubling. The law and order crowd can bite me.

9 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

It’s only going to get worse if Trump wins next week and sadly Libertarian voters could be the margin of victory in many states.