Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

GAME THREAD: 2020 United States Presidential Election, featuring the Battle for Control of the Senate and the House

2 hours ago, masterfrog said:

Not even worth discussing. The Civil War  showed that nobody is allowed to leave. One you join the USA, there is no exit. 

We shall see what happens.  Previous instances have been close in the popular vote.  With the country so divided by geography it isn’t impossible to see a 6-7% popular vote lead.   The population and money sits in the states who would leave. 

22 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

We shall see what happens.  Previous instances have been close in the popular vote.  With the country so divided by geography it isn’t impossible to see a 6-7% popular vote lead.   The population and money sits in the states who would leave. 

I really doubt it. You would definitely see the Insurrection Act invoked then. National Guard would be federalized. I can’t see it. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

4 hours ago, masterfrog said:

Not even worth discussing. The Civil War  showed that nobody is allowed to leave. One you join the USA, there is no exit. 

Maybe I'm naive, but I think that we would hurt our own people to that scale.  I think we would make it very painful to leave but if multiple states wanted to leave the union, we would ultimately let them.

If the Southern States wanted to leave right now, I can't imagine we wouldn't let them.  It would be harder for Texas or California though.

Similarly, if enough states left at the same time, and those states were stronger economically, they'd be in a much stronger bargaining position.  Would the other states destroy the economy to keep them?

11 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

There was a column in Time magazine several weeks ago which said that contrary to so many of us boomers who were super liberal during our college years but became considerably more moderate as we entered the workforce and had kids, millennials don't seem to be doing that. What that portends for the wrong, er right wing of the Republican party going forward one can only guess.

The good news for the GOP is Gen Z is rebelling against the millennials as far as snowflake, dependent on parents, liberal wussies. So they’re more conservative. I’ve heard some people try to make the case that Z’ers are very similar to M’s, but I don’t think so. 

The GOP went heavy after blacks, and they need to go after the kids too. I think we should subsidize colleges and universities like they were prior to the 90’s. I took undergrad engineering classes and GE at Mesa College in San Diego for a full load $64 per semester plus books. That’s almost free. And state schools like UNLV and SDSU were $500 to $700 per semester plus books. Free college is ridiculous, though. You have to charge or a bunch of un-serious yahoo’s will clog it up. 

Or at least offer these kinds of tuitions costs for approved majors to be in demand. No use helping people in a major that’s a dead end in the job market. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

We're not close. 

5 hours ago, masterfrog said:

You sound like you don't like that very much.

22 minutes ago, renoskier said:

We're not close. 

Yeah I know.   That is my point.  If Trump squeaks out an electoral win.

He beat lost to Hilary by ~3 million votes in the popular vote. 

he won Texas by 800,000 votes.  Assume that closes to a close loss less than 10,000

he won Georgia by 200,000 so say he wins by 100,000 and North Carolina by 100,000

thats another Million votes down in the popular vote. Now, lets say he loses by an extra another million in Ca and New York.   It isn’t too long before you get to a 5% or more loss in the national vote.  

42 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

The good news for the GOP is Gen Z is rebelling against the millennials as far as snowflake, dependent on parents, liberal wussies. So they’re more conservative. I’ve heard some people try to make the case that Z’ers are very similar to M’s, but I don’t think so. 

The GOP went heavy after blacks, and they need to go after the kids too. I think we should subsidize colleges and universities like they were prior to the 90’s. I took undergrad engineering classes and GE at Mesa College in San Diego for a full load $64 per semester plus books. That’s almost free. And state schools like UNLV and SDSU were $500 to $700 per semester plus books. Free college is ridiculous, though. You have to charge or a bunch of un-serious yahoo’s will clog it up. 

Or at least offer these kinds of tuitions costs for approved majors to be in demand. No use helping people in a major that’s a dead end in the job market. 

Gen Z are the Tick Tokkers who F’d over Trump in Tulsa.  Most of them hate Trump.

17 hours ago, masterfrog said:

That doesn’t stop people like @SDSUfan fetishizing it and making plans to engage in said Civil War II if Trump loses. 

13 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Gen Z does not trust either party. Possibly they could fuel the rise of third parties if that continues.

What has not helped the GOP is the perception of Trump and his words (and by extension the GOP) by Gen Z.

It is hard to group any set of people since there will be individual differences. And people are shaped by experiences as they move through life. But looking at the current values espoused by the larger percentage of Gen Z in studies compared to some of the current GOP message:

• Gen Z is the most racially diverse generation, only about 1/2 identify as non-Hispanic White. 25% identify as Hispanic. Diversity in ethnicity, gender, and orientation is more important to them than previous generations.
  • Gen Z currently considers health care a more important benefit than more free time.
  • Gen Z currently prefers talking out conflicts and issues (more compromising than more recent generations).
  • Currently in surveys, 70% of Gen Z says government should be doing more to solve society's problems, only 30% say government should get out of the way of people and business.
  • Pew's most recent study discovered that Republican Gen Z'ers lean more moderate to liberal than other Republicans. For example, over 50% of Republican Gen Z'ers think government should be doing more about stopping climate change. Only 38% of Republican Millennials and 29% of Republican Gen X'ers feel that way about climate change.

Post-Trump, the GOP will have to take a hard look at its platform and messaging to adjust to changing generational values.

The same will apply to Democrats.