Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

POLL: What do you personally feel is the greater threat to your household

What is the greater threat?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. COVID-19 or Authoritarian Rule

• COVID-19
    • AUTHORITARIAN RULE - indefinite mandatory monitoring/surveillance, shuttering of businesses, suspension of due process (even if temporary), clampdown on mobility and public gatherings, etc.

It's better to die standing up than it is to live on your knees. Looks like many here prefer to live on their knees, unfortunately. Shutting down the country so it's safer for cripples, medically compromised people, and old people is not a winning strategy. 

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

No doubt that there’s no “winning” approach here. The choice is lots of people dying or lots of people suffering severe economic upheaval.  My take is you can recover from one but not the other.  But to be clear, there’s no “right” decision here.  Just my $0.02.

This is more or less my take. I guess this makes for strange bedfellows. 

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

Out of curiosity, who’s surveilling you right now?  I guess Utah doesn’t have strictly enforced sheltering in place so maybe this is bubble perspective.  Where I live these are directives and not strictly enforced.  I’m free to leave and do whatever I want without fear of recourse.  I certainly don’t feel like I’m under surveillance. 

I'm not saying right now, though we're certainly under the auspices of the surveillance state and have been since 2001...I'm talking about these "measures" being proposed, and likely ram-rodded through, all in the name of "mUh SaFeTeE"

So yeah, I'd rather take my chances getting the Corona. 

Guest #1Stunner
5 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

It's better to die standing up than it is to live on your knees. Looks like many here prefer to live on their knees, unfortunately. Shutting down the country so it's safer for cripples, medically compromised people, and old people is not a winning strategy. 

A poem I just composed:

First the virus came for the cripples, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not a cripple.

Then the virus came for the medically compromised people, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not a medically compromised people.

Then the virus came for the old people, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not an old people (sorry @SleepingGiantFan).

Then the virus came for the tax attorneys—and there was no one left to speak for tax attorneys.

J/K.   This is a tough issue, and I can see all sides.

9 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Restrictions aren't law anywhere. Every man and woman is free to do whatever they want with the options available to them. That's not an opinion, it's Article 1 Section 1 of every state's constitution.

The satanists in the govt are telling their "residents" what to do. So the trick is don't consent to being a resident or any of their other titles. Be a man, or be a woman

Are you a sovereign citizen?

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

A poem I just composed:

First the virus came for the cripples, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not a cripple.

Then the virus came for the medically compromised people, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not a medically compromised people.

Then the virus came for the old people, and I did not speak out—
     Because I was not an old people (sorry @SleepingGiantFan).

Then the virus came for the tax attorneys—and there was no one left to speak for tax attorneys.

J/K.   This is a tough issue, and I can see all sides.

Ah, yes... The Muffin man. I know who the Muffin man is. He's on the hit-list by the Gingerbread drug cartel for his close connections with Cookie Monster. We all know what happens when Cookie Monster doesn't get his cookies. He's the most violent Sesame Street gangbanger in the entire neighborhood and he's amassed an arsenal of weapons to stop big bird from stealing his crack. When the cameras stopped rolling, that's when Cookie Monster would hit the bottle and beat up his pregnant wife in his dressing room. Talk about a piece of work, huh? He seems like such a nice person when the cameras are rolling.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, Joe from WY said:

Love the dale gribble avi.

The Simpsons Reaction GIF by FOX International Channels

For my household it's probably authoritarian government. We're all in good health and unlikely to have complications and/or death from COVID-19.

I voluntarily follow guidelines because I'm trying to be altruistic toward the elderly and the vulnerable.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:43 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

Time to get it out there in the open. If only provided these two options, what do you feel is the greater threat to you and your household. Yes, I realize the POLL is “if/only” but it’s qualified with the “greater” threat. 

Since Trump is president, he would never let the left make that happen. It’s surprising either party would let it happen. GOP is pro business and capitalism. They want to get the country back to normal ASAP. DEM’s have always been very concerned about violations of civil liberties. But since the left has abandoned traditional liberalism that cares about them, I fear the left getting the power to ditch civil liberties in this pandemic. 

kat.jpg

Just curious on the surveillance. Don't we all willingly carry a little computer in our pockets that knows more about our habits and movements then our close friends?  No easy answers here but am very lucky to have both my independent elderly parents alive and would like to continue that for a while.

4 hours ago, gold-n-brown said:

Just curious on the surveillance. Don't we all willingly carry a little computer in our pockets that knows more about our habits and movements then our close friends?  No easy answers here but am very lucky to have both my independent elderly parents alive and would like to continue that for a while.

Do you need the govt to tell you elderly ppl are vulnerable to viruses?

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

Maybe I’m just a fully indoctrinated sheeple.. And it wasn’t clear in exactly how far the authoritarian control would be in this hypothetical question, but I’m not really worried about the control. 

As long as people still have due process and we aren’t letting people suffer who have lost everything they have because of the virus response, I’m willing to put up with quite a bit if it means it keeps people from dying. I’m willing to sacrifice some things to do this, even at my own detriment.

8 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Do you need the govt to tell you elderly ppl are vulnerable to viruses?

I read this a few times, the answer is no. Don't understand your point. I think you misunderstood mine.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:11 AM, RogueStout said:

Stupid poll. No option for bears. 

Bears are to be taken out by turtles, ala TMNT2: The Arcade Game

(yes, that's an alien bear)

qzbdrtrujen21.jpg