Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fowl

SDSU Recruiting 2021

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9814034/5dc2491bab9c9609f81084b8

Film looks good.  

Thus far it seems like recruiting under Hoke is better than under Rocky.

Time will tell. Wonder if Hoke brings an enthusiasm to the recruiting process that RL did not?  Rocky's a different bird. Loved his no nonsense, take it as I am mode of operation, but I wonder how that comes across to a 17-18 year old when others are blowing smoke up their arse? Really liked Hoke 1.0, we were a dumpster fire when he took over, and he quickly extinguished the mess. If things ever return to normal, looking forward to what Hoke 2.0 does w the current program.

2 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

Hoke can out recruit rocky, question is can he scheme and coach at same level of rocky? Both Murphy and Haskell are terrific gets, and pac 12 level talents

Your thoughts on the new coordinators?

14 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Vegas, Boise, and Hawai’i had offered this kid.

This LB/DB is a solid addition for SDSU.  He had several P5 offers and until late this week Boise State was listed as the "favorite" to sign him.  https://247sports.com/Article/College-Football-Recruiting-San-Diego-State-Aztecs-land-Zyrus-Fiaseu-147956634/

His brother Austin Fiaseu is a freshman DB for UNLV, and he was high school teammates with a couple other Rebels (including QB Kenyon Oblad) so the early announcement gave me hope that UNLV had a chance, since the Rebels are the program he was most familiar with.

Hoke and his guys offered a bunch of low rated kids and at one point I was becoming concerned so many of them would grab the offer from SDSU that we would run out of room for better players who wait until fall to commit. However, all six of our commits have been rated above 80 by 247 thereby making them 3-star guys. So my guess is many of the offers SDSU put out there had caveats attached to them and that only a few of the lower-rated kids will sign with us.

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Hoke and his guys offered a bunch of low rated kids and at one point I was becoming concerned so many of them would grab the offer from SDSU that we would run out of room for better players who wait until fall to commit. However, all six of our commits have been rated above 80 by 247 thereby making them 3-star guys. So my guess is many of the offers SDSU put out there had caveats attached to them and that only a few of the lower-rated kids will sign with us.

"Committable offers" and "Conditional" offers are the new trend in college FB.

Depending on how highly ranked/recruited that target is relative to the program, some offers are immediately committable but many are conditional, such as only after an official visit has occurred (if the player eventually gets invited for an OV) or after a certain point of the target's senior season (if the offer hasn't been rescinded, which hopefully is always done discretely) or after the program lets the player know that the offer has become committable.

Gilliam was one of three teammates that had committed to Tony Sanchez and UNLV, along with incoming QB Doug Brumfield and DB Justin Pinkney.  All three had remained committed past the December signing period (as did all 11 of the Sanchez commits), but only Brumfield and two others remained after Arroyo's staff reviewed them for "athletics and academics".

A few weeks ago when (UNLV legend and current SDSU WR coach) Hunkie Cooper offered Gilliam, it was after the spring grading was in, so the academics may have been a factor.

2 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Gilliam was one of three teammates that had committed to Tony Sanchez and UNLV, along with incoming QB Doug Brumfield and DB Justin Pinkney.  All three had remained committed past the December signing period (as did all 11 of the Sanchez commits), but only Brumfield and two others remained after Arroyo's staff reviewed them for "athletics and academics".

A few weeks ago when (UNLV legend and current SDSU WR coach) Hunkie Cooper offered Gilliam, it was after the spring grading was in, so the academics may have been a factor.

Possibly, or perhaps he does not fit the type of athlete they are looking for. I know a few years ago we lost a SD kid to Arizona, but when a new staff came in, they decided he didn’t fit what they were looking for, so we eventually got him back. 

9 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

"Committable offers" and "Conditional" offers are the new trend in college FB.

Depending on how highly ranked/recruited that target is relative to the program, some offers are immediately committable but many are conditional, such as only after an official visit has occurred (if the player eventually gets invited for an OV) or after a certain point of the target's senior season (if the offer hasn't been rescinded, which hopefully is always done discretely) or after the program lets the player know that the offer has become committable.

The difference in rocky and hoke’s recruiting strategy is clear. Rocky casted a smaller net of talents the staff stayed focused on and offered many less players than brady

12 hours ago, Fowl said:

This kid is probably a long shot but nice to make the cut

View image on Twitter

Definitely competing w some storied programs there. Tough to win battles against all the perks they have available to them, but hey at least we’re in there swinging. 

On 6/9/2020 at 7:38 AM, dshawfan said:

Definitely competing w some storied programs there. Tough to win battles against all the perks they have available to them, but hey at least we’re in there swinging. 

Wow! All p5 offers except lil ol’ San Diego Stinkin State in this kids final 10.