Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

What are you binging?

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 3:40 PM, TGIFaanes said:

I wish they didn't do the Dunkirk style with the storylines.

They had to do it that way or else Ciri and to a lesser extent Yen wouldn't have been in it till the end. It wasn't confusing to me but I have read the books so I understand that some were annoyed by it. THey left clues about it from the very first epoisoe but it they were pretty subtle till the 3rd episode I think. Also kinda confusing because even the human characters didn't seem to age. I have some problems with it bu overall I thought it was a great adaptation of the first 2 books(which was difficult since they were short stories books and not a novel) from this point on the story should be more cohesive and not have confusing timelines going forward.

22 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Just finished Waco on Netflix last night and holy shit. I’d heard it was good when it came out, and knew the story would have a bad ending, but that’s an understatement. It was GREAT and I’m beyond angry and depressed. 100% recommend if you want to weep and for the first time in you’re life start considering buying a personal armory. What a...there isn’t even words for it.

Here is an interesting article on the Waco siege.

https://www.history.com/news/waco-siege-what-happened-little-known-facts

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Here is an interesting article on the Waco siege.

https://www.history.com/news/waco-siege-what-happened-little-known-facts

I knew most of that. I wasn’t unfamiliar with the story. It was going to be harrowing. What surprised me was the execution in storytelling. The two leads, Taylor Kitsch and Michael Shannon, put the money up for the project and delivered in their roles and everything else about the production. This could have been a crappy, wooden history channel type recreation. It wasn’t, it was art.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I knew most of that. I wasn’t unfamiliar with the story. It was going to be harrowing. What surprised me was the execution in storytelling. The two leads, Taylor Kitsch and Michael Shannon, put the money up for the project and delivered in their roles and everything else about the production. This could have been a crappy, wooden history channel type recreation. It wasn’t, it was art.

It was well done and sure didn’t portray the DFA and FBI In a good light. As noted by many, Koresh could have been easily detained in town or while jogging without the need for an armed confrontation on the compound. 

21 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

It was well done and sure didn’t portray the DFA and FBI In a good light. As noted by many, Koresh could have been easily detained in town or while jogging without the need for an armed confrontation on the compound. 

In the theological undertones of the age old question of pre-determinism vs free will, they do a good job of implying the FBI couldn’t have acted any differently even if they wanted to. They were all constrained by higher ups that had no personal interest in listening to the one sane man, so they acted rationally all the way up until they murdered a bunch of weirdos and their children. Koresh wins the theological argument. The only people in the story with free will are Koresh’s followers, who has the right of it all so they follow him willingly, even though he is acting despicable and careless.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

14 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

In the theological undertones of the age old question of pre-determinism vs free will, they do a good job of implying the FBI couldn’t have acted any differently even if they wanted to. They were all constrained by higher ups that had no personal interest in listening to the one sane man, so they acted rationally all the way up until they murdered a bunch of weirdos and their children. Koresh wins the theological argument. The only people in the story with free will are Koresh’s followers, who has the right of it all while still being despicable and careless.

Koresh obviously had a strong mental hold on most of his followers. You would think if you had children you would walk out of the compound and give yourself up like a couple of others did. 

In some respect I understand from my personal experience of my younger brother being in a cult. He was in the Tony and Susan Alamo cult. He eventually left, but told me he was thoroughly convinced Satan was going to harm him for several years after he bolted. 

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Koresh obviously had a strong mental hold on most of his followers. You would think if you had children you would walk out of the compound and give yourself up like a couple of others did. 

I know I would. But for them what he said made sense. They weren’t crazy. They acted rationally. The Babylonians were at the gates with the intention of killing or conquering them. There was nothing they could do to talk them out of it. 

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I know I would. But for them what he said made sense. They weren’t crazy. They acted rationally. The Babylonians were at the gates with the intention of killing or conquering them. There was nothing they could do to talk them out of it. 

In some respect I understand from my personal experience of my younger brother being in a cult. He was in the Tony and Susan Alamo cult. He eventually left, but told me he was thoroughly convinced Satan was going to harm him for several years after he bolted. 

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I had never heard of that cult. Sorry about your brother but thanks, now I have a rabbit hole to dive down in for a bit.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I had never heard of that cult. Sorry about your brother but thanks, now I have a rabbit hole to dive down in for a bit.

He eventually got his head straight, but lost 13 years of his life being duped. 

16 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I used to provide training through the state DoJ and CDC to LEAs in a couple disciplines, including cults and the occult. Never have I more enjoyed a work day as much as when I was talking about that shit for eight hours.

Glad to hear your brother got out,and I hope he's been able to go on to lead a normal life.

Fun Fact: The demographics of cult members skews predominantly toward the college educated from middle class to well-to-do families.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

19 hours ago, Wyoguns said:

Wife and I are binging The Last Kingdom now.  Lots of violence and boobies.  Not what I normally watch but I'm hooked.

I gave up watching that after the first episode. Didn’t see any boobies so far. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

35 minutes ago, Warbow said:

I gave up watching that after the first episode. Didn’t see any boobies so far. 

It gets better the further you get into it and there are lots of boobies!  Give it a chance and if nothing else you'll get to see some average boobs!  🤣

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Haha, I love that shit.

When my buddy first started with the CHP he was working the toll-side of the Coronado Bay Bridge - there's always a CHP unit on the west end. I don't know about now, but historically the Coronado bridge had the second highest number of suicides behind Golden Gate. He has a couple crazy f*cking stories from his time there.

4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

When my buddy first started with the CHP he was working the toll-side of the Coronado Bay Bridge - there's always a CHP unit on the west end. I don't know about now, but historically the Coronado bridge had the second highest number of suicides behind Golden Gate. He has a couple crazy f*cking stories from his time there.

Do share....we like crazy f*cking stories.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:52 PM, DestinFlPackfan said:

Do share....we like crazy f*cking stories.

Well, the craziest one was when he was working the toll station by himself and saw (presumably) a jumper meandering about the apex on the westbound side of the bridge on the CCTV feed. What caught his attention was the fact the traffic drove by as if he (or she?) wasn't there. He waited a couple minutes for the expected 911 dispatch call but it never came, so he drove the length of the bridge and back looking for the pedestrian. When he didn't see him (or her), he immediately radioed in the jumper, and Harbor Police spent the next 3 hours looking for the body. When no body was found, HPD told him sometimes bodies enter at an angle where they get stuck in the muck at the bottom, and don't surface for a few hours, up to a day or two when gasses overcome the grip of the muck and the body rises to the surface.

I'm sure you know where this is going - no body ever surfaced. And to this day, he is convinced he saw a ghost.

He had other stories as well - including seeing a man walking from the supply room to the bathroom one night in the small monitoring station CHP uses , only for him to find no one when he went to see who it was. He was the only person in the building.

ETA: I want to mention that in his time there, he saved three lives, talking three jumpers off the (literal and proverbial) ledge.