Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smltwnrckr

Anyone here into watches?

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I started wearing watches b/c I got one as a gift too. My mom gave me a watch as a HS graduation gift. It was a nice Guess watch. It was too nice to wear daily.

So, I wore it for special occasions or formal parties. I noticed the compliments I got every time I wore it. Especially, from the ladies. I went out and got a nice, but casual Timex or Seiko, can't remember. I remember really liking it. And, again, I got compliments on dates. It seemed like females quickly notice accessories on guys.

I'm the same, in terms of the gift as entry - kind of a mix between you and @modestobulldog experiences. I got a pretty nice Fossil (nice is a relative term here) many years ago for my high school graduation and only wore it occasionally. When I was a reporter, I found that when I was working if I was wearing it I would check the watch regularly out of habit and it was often distracting for people I was interviewing them... like I was in a hurry to go somewhere. So I just didn't wear it much. Then, after I left journalism I was substitute teaching like 4 years ago or so and many of the schools where I worked didn't have a working clock in the room and I needed to know what time it was all day. Didn't want to take my phone out, as the kids aren't allowed to have their phones out either so I started wearing my watch regularly. Bought a few more very cheap watches (like $30 or less, at Target, that sort of thing) to have a few choices. Got used to always having a watch on, and kept wearing one in grad school. Bought a few other affordable ones since then when I came across something on sale at bargain department stores like Ross or TJ Maxx (where you can actually find pretty good deals on watches). Don't leave the house without one on now, and like you said earlier, there aren't a ton of accessory options for guys. The wife got me last Christmas a Timex Marlin automatic, which is my first mechanical watch and I just love the thing... love the style, love the movement, love the way it feels. I'm looking for something along the same lines but a little more casual looking. Then I'm going to start squirreling away money to get something at the next level up.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

8 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Timex Ironman baby!  Indiglo is key more middle aged eyes.

15862992340781520127177424834484.jpg

I am an analog man, but I like timex quite a bit. The watch I basically wear on my runs and when I'm doing work around the house is a timex I got on clearence for like $20. I love the thing.

s-l640.jpg

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

I remember my first Timex about 1972.  Had a bunch of watches up until 2002, don't remember any of them really.  Then the Seiko the wife gave me in 2002,  I wear it every day.   

110926run_defense710.jpg

5 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

That's actually along the lines of the style I'm thinking about right now. I've seen a couple Skagens around that looked great, but were a bit more dressy. How long have you had it? You happy with it?

I've had it for about 4.5 years now. I don't wear it all the time, mostly as a nicer dress up watch. It's held up really well, is comfortable, and I think it looks great. 

6 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

That Tissot is really sharp looking. I'm going to add it to my list of ones to consider. Right now, I'm leaning towards mechanical but only because I'm enamored by the movement. It's kind of silly, but I have one other mechanical and I just love the idea of wearing a self-powered machine on my wrist. I know, it's dumb. But at the end of the day, I just want reliable, durable and simple/stylish.

Interestingly enough - there is a local antique store that has a soviet union mechanical. I believe they're selling it for around $50, maybe give or take a few bucks. I was looking for something else there maybe a month ago, and it caught my eye. I almost asked the guy to take it out of the case. That's good to know that it may be worth another look. If it's even still there.

It's not dumb.  All my watches - except my android watch - are mechanical.  I am enamored with the machinery of it all, too.  The old Soviet Union watches are actually pretty decent.  The story goes that after Berlin fell in WW2, as the Red Army interacted with western soldiers and "interacted" with local Germans, the high quality watches became a hot trade commodity.  Stalin, not wanting to be outdone by the west, launched several watch making facilities that really took the Soviet ethos of "steal a good design" seriously and made their movements look, smell, and function as closely to their German counterparts as possible.  And then since it was a Soviet factory, they churned them out en masse.  So there's a ton of used and pretty good Soviet watches floating around out there.  I have 3.  I accidentally broke 2 of them.  Over-wound both.  But the 3rd is still in great shape and keeps very accurate time on a 24 hour basis.  I never wind it more than 7 or 8 times as a result.

This is the Slava I got off Etsy that keeps good time.  The watch itself is a little small, so I got a larger band off Amazon.  I like how original it is.

IMG_20200317_001633.jpg

14 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Timex Ironman baby!  Indiglo is key more middle aged eyes.

15862992340781520127177424834484.jpg

Until i got a garmin that's what I wore every day for about 15 years. I had the one with a black screen and white letters tho. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

17 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm thinking of getting one in the next month or two on Amazon so I can click thru and help out the board. I'm not a man of fancy tastes, so I'm looking to spend no more than $200 on something that is durable, looks good but isn't too dressy, and generally has a minimalist style. Right now I'm looking at deciding between a Seiko 5, a Citizen Eco Drive (a chronograph if I can find one in that range), an Orient Bambino or one of the entry-level automatic dive watches. I generally think the basic automatic version of the Invicta Pro Diver looks cool and have heard it's generally durable, but I kinda would feel like a douche bag buying an Invicta watch.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Or have a watch in the general price range that they've had a really good experience with?

I really like self winding watches.  I have had two Seiko Kinetic watches, which I have really liked.  One of them I have had since 2001 and it is still going.  The Citizen Eco Drives seem more popular, but their bulky profile make it so they don't fit comfortably under the cuff of a button down shirt.  I currently have an Automatic Raymond Weil, which looks really nice but suffers from the same problem.  My next watch will likely be another Raymond Weil because I really like the look, but it will definitely be a quartz movement (sigh).