Jump to content
smltwnrckr

Anyone here into watches?

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking of getting one in the next month or two on Amazon so I can click thru and help out the board. I'm not a man of fancy tastes, so I'm looking to spend no more than $200 on something that is durable, looks good but isn't too dressy, and generally has a minimalist style. Right now I'm looking at deciding between a Seiko 5, a Citizen Eco Drive (a chronograph if I can find one in that range), an Orient Bambino or one of the entry-level automatic dive watches. I generally think the basic automatic version of the Invicta Pro Diver looks cool and have heard it's generally durable, but I kinda would feel like a douche bag buying an Invicta watch.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Or have a watch in the general price range that they've had a really good experience with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own 2 nice watches.

This one for everyday use:Tag Heuer Formula 1 Stainless Steel 35mm Blue Dial Watch

And this one for dressing up:

Men's Movado Museum Classic Two-Tone Watch 0607200 | REEDS Jewelers

Hardly ever wear either one anymore.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Timex Ironman baby!  Indiglo is key more middle aged eyes.

 

15862992340781520127177424834484.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only own a Fitbit Versa 2 and a Skagen Holst.

NOvi612.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, renoskier said:

And this one for dressing up:

Men's Movado Museum Classic Two-Tone Watch 0607200 | REEDS Jewelers

Hardly ever wear either one anymore.

I got the museum sport for work. I used to have a fake Rolex submariner, but then it stopped telling time...

 

sftp_i_imagesinitial19976871997687.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm thinking of getting one in the next month or two on Amazon so I can click thru and help out the board. I'm not a man of fancy tastes, so I'm looking to spend no more than $200 on something that is durable, looks good but isn't too dressy, and generally has a minimalist style. Right now I'm looking at deciding between a Seiko 5, a Citizen Eco Drive (a chronograph if I can find one in that range), an Orient Bambino or one of the entry-level automatic dive watches. I generally think the basic automatic version of the Invicta Pro Diver looks cool and have heard it's generally durable, but I kinda would feel like a douche bag buying an Invicta watch.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Or have a watch in the general price range that they've had a really good experience with?

It's the only [manly] accessory I like to wear. I've always liked TAG Heuer watches. And I have contemplated being a watch from this company. I like their styles:

https://www.touchofmodern.com/stores/cool-watches-for-men?facets[31]=570&price[min]=&price[max]=&term=&react_ajax_request=true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Timex Ironman baby!  Indiglo is key more middle aged eyes.

 

15862992340781520127177424834484.jpg

Haha that's the ladies version ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like your options.  citizen is a very solid watch for the money.  if you are ok getting a battery powered movement, and you want a classy minimalist style, i'd get this tissot:

https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-watch-t1096101603100.html?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googleproductsearch&googleproductcode=search_flash_5_off&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=(ROI)+Shopping+-+Sale+Watches+$100+-+500&gclid=Cj0KCQjwybD0BRDyARIsACyS8mu5s2uglRplrVDj5KFCOyC94gTaPpwlr69n_gOCX1DKABqyMRnYwTUaAr7yEALw_wcB

i'd consult https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/wiki/buyingguide for more info

and if you want something unique, i'd get on etsy and find old soviet mechanical watches.  i have several of these and realllllly like them.

https://www.etsy.com/market/poljot

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=pobeda

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=molnija

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=raketa

i also have a sistem51 swatch that i like.  some people poo poo swatch, but i think it's good quality and style for the price.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife gave me a Seiko as a wedding gift 17 years ago.  I wear it all the time, nearly all conditions.  Other than new batteries and leather bands, flawless.  Even the crystal is in awesome shape, despite near abuse.  Although, I am jealous of Reno's pair of watches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a side note, the old style watch shop Cal-Time in the Modesto mall retired and closed at end of 2018.  I had been going to them for 30 years.  I miss them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

My wife gave me a Seiko as a wedding gift 17 years ago.  I wear it all the time, nearly all conditions.  Other than new batteries and leather bands, flawless.  Even the crystal is in awesome shape, despite near abuse.  Although, I am jealous of Reno's pair of watches.

I started wearing watches b/c I got one as a gift too. My mom gave me a watch as a HS graduation gift. It was a nice Guess watch. It was too nice to wear daily.

So, I wore it for special occasions or formal parties. I noticed the compliments I got every time I wore it. Especially, from the ladies. I went out and got a nice, but casual Timex or Seiko, can't remember. I remember really liking it. And, again, I got compliments on dates. It seemed like females quickly notice accessories on guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'm thinking of getting one in the next month or two on Amazon so I can click thru and help out the board. I'm not a man of fancy tastes, so I'm looking to spend no more than $200 on something that is durable, looks good but isn't too dressy, and generally has a minimalist style. Right now I'm looking at deciding between a Seiko 5, a Citizen Eco Drive (a chronograph if I can find one in that range), an Orient Bambino or one of the entry-level automatic dive watches. I generally think the basic automatic version of the Invicta Pro Diver looks cool and have heard it's generally durable, but I kinda would feel like a douche bag buying an Invicta watch.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Or have a watch in the general price range that they've had a really good experience with?

I meant to link this brand too in my previous reply. I like their style and many for -$200. https://www.mvmtwatches.com/collections/all-mens-watches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, renoskier said:

I own 2 nice watches.

This one for everyday use:Tag Heuer Formula 1 Stainless Steel 35mm Blue Dial Watch

And this one for dressing up:

Men's Movado Museum Classic Two-Tone Watch 0607200 | REEDS Jewelers

Hardly ever wear either one anymore.

 

7 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

I got the museum sport for work. I used to have a fake Rolex submariner, but then it stopped telling time...

 

sftp_i_imagesinitial19976871997687.jpg

I've seen some Movados around. They are sharp. I am thinking of getting one next time I'm looking for a dressier watch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, retrofade said:

I only own a Fitbit Versa 2 and a Skagen Holst.

NOvi612.png

That's actually along the lines of the style I'm thinking about right now. I've seen a couple Skagens around that looked great, but were a bit more dressy. How long have you had it? You happy with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

It's the only [manly] accessory I like to wear. I've always liked TAG Heuer watches. And I have contemplated being a watch from this company. I like their styles:

https://www.touchofmodern.com/stores/cool-watches-for-men?facets[31]=570&price[min]=&price[max]=&term=&react_ajax_request=true

I've heard very good things out of TAG Heuers. Bit out of what I'm looking to spent at the moment but when I finish grad school I'm going to get myself something along those lines as a gift to myself. Honestly, though, it's hard for me to spend the kind of money that one needs to spend once you get into the second level quality. Not because I couldn't afford it necessarily, but because I'm a cheap sonovabich. I'm working my way up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

My wife gave me a Seiko as a wedding gift 17 years ago.  I wear it all the time, nearly all conditions.  Other than new batteries and leather bands, flawless.  Even the crystal is in awesome shape, despite near abuse.  Although, I am jealous of Reno's pair of watches.

Both of his are very nice. But I have heard similar things about Seiko as your experience. People swear by them as one of the best watches you can get under $500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

On a side note, the old style watch shop Cal-Time in the Modesto mall retired and closed at end of 2018.  I had been going to them for 30 years.  I miss them. 

That's a drag... I've wondered to what extent non-smart watches are generally better or worse now with the technological revolution. On one hand, smart watches and phones seem to be the thing. You literally don't need a watch anymore like you used to. On the other hand, people often become more interested in analog things now that everything is digital. For instance, a couple years back I learned that young people LOVE cassette tapes. I am always sad to see a local business go. I wonder if it was particular to something at that store, or if watch shops are harder to come by in general these days.

We have a local watch repair place where I go to get my batteries replaced. Just some old guy in a tiny office space surrounded by little tools. I like that those places still exist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I meant to link this brand too in my previous reply. I like their style and many for -$200. https://www.mvmtwatches.com/collections/all-mens-watches

I've seen these. I really like their style. I'm into minimalist syles, but I have also seen them getting mixed reviews. Do you have one? If so, what is your experience with them? My main concern would be durability, as I understand this is a relatively new company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

i like your options.  citizen is a very solid watch for the money.  if you are ok getting a battery powered movement, and you want a classy minimalist style, i'd get this tissot:

https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-watch-t1096101603100.html?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googleproductsearch&googleproductcode=search_flash_5_off&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=(ROI)+Shopping+-+Sale+Watches+$100+-+500&gclid=Cj0KCQjwybD0BRDyARIsACyS8mu5s2uglRplrVDj5KFCOyC94gTaPpwlr69n_gOCX1DKABqyMRnYwTUaAr7yEALw_wcB

i'd consult https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/wiki/buyingguide for more info

and if you want something unique, i'd get on etsy and find old soviet mechanical watches.  i have several of these and realllllly like them.

https://www.etsy.com/market/poljot

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=pobeda

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=molnija

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=raketa

i also have a sistem51 swatch that i like.  some people poo poo swatch, but i think it's good quality and style for the price.

 

That Tissot is really sharp looking. I'm going to add it to my list of ones to consider. Right now, I'm leaning towards mechanical but only because I'm enamored by the movement. It's kind of silly, but I have one other mechanical and I just love the idea of wearing a self-powered machine on my wrist. I know, it's dumb. But at the end of the day, I just want reliable, durable and simple/stylish.

Interestingly enough - there is a local antique store that has a soviet union mechanical. I believe they're selling it for around $50, maybe give or take a few bucks. I was looking for something else there maybe a month ago, and it caught my eye. I almost asked the guy to take it out of the case. That's good to know that it may be worth another look. If it's even still there.

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×