Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dshawfan

Aztecs add Xfer PG Terrell Gomez

11 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

The BW may be a lesser league but not by much.  He's played 3 seasons of D1 ball. There's plenty of film on him.  I'm going to go ahead and assume our coaches know what they're getting.

The overall disparity between the MWC and Big West is about the same as the disparity between the Big East and the MWC.  The MWC had 6 Top 100 teams and the Big West 0 in the kenpom rankings. Other than UCI and UCSB, the Big West in 2020 was in the class of AFA, WYO, and SJSU.

League strength is irrelevant when it comes to individual players. Gomez has scored well against teams at all levels.

36 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

The overall disparity between the MWC and Big West is about the same as the disparity between the Big East and the MWC.  The MWC had 6 Top 100 teams and the Big West 0 in the kenpom rankings. Other than UCI and UCSB, the Big West in 2020 was in the class of AFA, WYO, and SJSU.

League strength is irrelevant when it comes to individual players. Gomez has scored well against teams at all levels.

Might want to lump Fresno in that mix too, as they blew a 20 point lead at home vs UC Riverside and lost to CSUN who was without their best player. 

6 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Might want to lump Fresno in that mix too, as they blew a 20 point lead at home vs UC Riverside and lost to CSUN who was without their best player. 

Fresno has never done anything but disappoint in non-con play.  They are who they are.

12 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Fresno’s computer numbers were similar to UCSB.

9 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

"x" fer? When has the letter x ever been used as an abbreviation for trans? This is a new one for me. 

Used in electrical drawings, stock markets and finance, and sparingly when shorthanding in certain scripting or metadata.

I personally think it is lazy, and should only be used if space is limited.  Someone once smartassed and audibly said it, and I immediately thought like Capt Holt.

tumblr_ouel5g76IC1slw1zyo8_500.gif

1 minute ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Fresno’s computer numbers were similar to UCSB.

Non-conference scheduling.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Used in electrical drawings, stock markets and finance, and sparingly when shorthanding in certain scripting or metadata.

I personally think it is lazy, and should only be used if space is limited.  Someone once smartassed and said audibly said it, and I immediately thought like Capt Holt.

tumblr_ouel5g76IC1slw1zyo8_500.gif

U, Ewe, You.  

19 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Looks like a really good pickup. He went 2-13 from the 3 against Boise this year. Not sure if they did anything special against him or he just had an off night. I just remember Diane being an absolute athletic freak and a beast. 

I live only 20 minutes from the CSUN campus and attended that school for a couple years before transferring so I somewhat follow the Matadors despite them having the dumbest nickname in the world. Diane is indeed an excellent player but he tends to get into foul trouble and besides him and Gomez, they had no playuhs.

BTW, Gomez led the nation in FT shooting this year at 94.8%. Somehow I don't see playing in the MWC versus the Big West as diminishing that.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 4/7/2020 at 5:19 PM, kingpotato said:

Looks like a really good pickup. He went 2-13 from the 3 against Boise this year. Not sure if they did anything special against him or he just had an off night. I just remember Diane being an absolute athletic freak and a beast. 

In games other than Boise State he went 63-128. 

To put that another way: If he went 2-11 or 3-13 against BSU, he would have shot 50% from 3 point range for the season. 

So I would say the "off night" option is likely the case. 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:28 AM, dshawfan said:

Per UT, Terrell Gomez of CSUN has committed to the Aztecs. Eighth in D1 at 3 point accuracy at 44%, led the nation in FT accuracy at 94.8%, averaged 19.8 ppg last season. 

Right now, next season seems a long ways away. 

It's a shame we don't have a board set aside specifically for recruiting news.

@mugtang you should get on that.

On 4/8/2020 at 7:20 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

When you are discussing "...the disparity between the Big East and the MWC," ¿is that the BIG East w/or w/out:  CSU-Diego & El Juco?

On 4/7/2020 at 7:50 PM, SDSUfan said:

SDSU can pull these So Cal kids. The environment and atmosphere is superior to any destination in California for basketball.  We really don't recruit beyond our border except Vegas and Phoenix.  I  haven't seen him play, I don't think, but he sounds like he'll help  take the pressure off of the kids coming in..

Guards

Gomez - GT

Pulliam - SR

Flynn - SR but Gone

Seiko - RS Jr

Butler - FR

Dinwiddie - FR

Pulliam will need to step up and we'll need to get something from at least one of the freshmen.

I like Adam but his role is as a defensive option off the bench who can score enough that he has to be respected.

Not sure what to make of Pulliam. I tend to think he took a back seat to the other guys last season. I saw him in a few summer league games and his talent was apparent

Prediction : Next year's guard play will be a little frustrating to watch at times

What about #20 Jordan Schakel (Jr) your three-pt phenom from Bishop Montogomery HS in Torrance.  Isn't he a #2 for y'all?  

On 4/24/2020 at 11:57 PM, GoState99755 said:

What about #20 Jordan Schakel (Jr) your three-pt phenom from Bishop Montogomery HS in Torrance.  Isn't he a #2 for y'all?  

Mostly at the 3. He's a 3/2 instead of a 2/3 if that makes sense.  Ball handling isn't really his thing

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke