Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Media Blacklisted Richard Jewell Movie

12 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Seems like you’re fighting a losing battle for pride’s sake, Top25. I think swallowing a little crow is the right play here. 

Why, because the responses are pretty much down ideological lines?

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Well, you did set the ideological tone in your initial post. Beyond that, the critical consensus cited by failed journalist, NVGiant, is as sound a rebuttal to your initial claim of media blacklisting as I can think of. Throwing out a handful of articles critical of the film, primarily due to the unnecessarily sensationalized portrayal of the AJC reporter, is not really an effective counter-argument from you. I’d understand it if you were trolling, but that doesn’t appear to be the case here; you’re just digging in for pride’s sake. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

7 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

You want to discuss how wronged Richard Jewell was in large part because of how it was reported on? Let's do it. I am hyper critical of how it was reported in real time, and promise you I will pull no punches. Your point of this was exactly along idealogical lines, and you know it. There was no good faith argument made here.

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/richard-jewell-movie-clint-eastwood-film-flops-box-office-following-controversy-olivia-wilde-kathy-scruggs/

The weekend box office numbers are in, and one particular film flopped after facing controversy ahead of its debut. Clint Eastwood's "Richard Jewell" raked in only $5 million its opening weekend, about half of what was expected, according to IMDB's Box Office Mojo. The film faced criticism over its depiction of a real-life female reporter, Kathy Scruggs, who is played by actress Olivia Wilde.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-12-10/richard-jewell-ajc-lawsuit-reporter

With only days left before “Richard Jewell” hits theaters, lawyers for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and its parent company, Cox Enterprises, have demanded that Warner Bros. slap a disclaimer on the Clint Eastwood film. 

At issue is the film’s portrayal of the late reporter Kathy Scruggs. She broke the story that security guard Jewell — at that point a hero for saving countless lives in the Centennial Olympic Park bombing at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta — was in fact the FBI’s lead suspect in the case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/12/business/media/richard-jewell-kathy-scruggs.html

ATLANTA — Clint Eastwood received a standing ovation on Tuesday when he was introduced by the Georgia House speaker, David Ralston, for the red-carpet premiere of “Richard Jewell” at the Rialto Center for the Arts in downtown Atlanta. The audience broke into applause again at the climax of the fact-based film Mr. Eastwood directed about the security guard who was suspected by the F.B.I. of planting a bomb at the 1996 Summer Olympic Games.

The reaction was a contrast to how the film was received Wednesday at a screening arranged by Cox Enterprises, the owner of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, at a theater near the newspaper’s headquarters. During a scene in which a Journal-Constitution reporter is shown offering sex to an F.B.I. agent in exchange for information — a scene the paper has called “false and defamatory” — an audience member hissed.

https://variety.com/2019/film/columns/richard-jewell-clint-eastwood-kathy-scruggs-controversy-1203435866/

If you want to know what happened in the Richard Jewell saga, you could do worse than watch “Richard Jewell.” You could also do better, since the film tells two lies. One of them is factual: the suggestion that Kathy Scruggs, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter played by Olivia Wilde, slept with her source — in the film, an FBI agent named Tom Shaw (Jon Hamm), who is actually a composite character. The sexual liaison between them is treated as her half of a quid pro quo; in return, Shaw passes on the tip that Jewell is the suspect the FBI is investigating. Scruggs writes a story saying just that, which turns Jewell (and the implication of his guilt) into a global news event.

https://apnews.com/6d0f2f74eddf5554ab07350423db5b53

“Richard Jewell” is a typically strong late-period Clint Eastwood docudrama that balances grand American themes while captivatingly dramatizing the villainization of the Atlanta Olympics bombing hero, only to needlessly tarnish itself with a wanton and unfounded depiction of a female journalist at the center of the 1996 media storm.

And how is this a blacklist? Lots of stories. All covering the issues exactly as I discussed. Many like the film, but thought the Scruggs portrayal was needless. It's almost like a movie that was meant to illicit reactions and debate got reactions and debate. It's like art or something. Crazy.

32 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Also, the Rotten Tomatoes critics score is a compilation of all major reviews, and 76% of critics reviewed it positively. So that is more than just anecdotal arguments.

Among the Rotten Tomatoes 'top critics', the breakdown is 31 positive, 13 negative.  And even some of those negatives, if you read them, were more mixed than negative.  By no reasonable definition, is that a blacklisting.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Dude the posted aggregate reviews prove you wrong.  Take the L for that,  it's a lot easier than the L of dying on the hill of the media blacklisting a movie that the media overwhelmingly liked

Just asking....do the aggregate reviews include ALL media reviews, including something like the Wenatchee World newspaper?   I think small media outlets are much more likely to just give a review of the film, rather than consider how it might relate to current politics.  Also, the bigger media outlets have a much stronger influence.

I honestly don't know, and haven't even watched the film yet.   Just asking the question.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, RSF said:

Among the Rotten Tomatoes 'top critics', the breakdown is 31 positive, 13 negative.  And even some of those negatives, if you read them, were more mixed than negative.  By no reasonable definition, is that a blacklisting.

that probably answers my question above.

Thanks.

Also worth noting that the Jewell movie was released at the same time as the Jumanji and Frozen sequels (a collective 2 Billion in box office).  That's what hurt it, not some phantom media attack.   If you want to blame anybody, blame Warner Bros (the distributor) for releasing it during the Christmas season.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, #1Stunner said:

She's hot.

ewwww-ewww.jpg

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Dude the posted aggregate reviews prove you wrong.  Take the L for that,  it's a lot easier than the L of dying on the hill of the media blacklisting a movie that the media overwhelmingly liked

Okay. Can you show me some notable critic reviews raving about what a fantastic film this was? 

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Fair point. The Rotten Tomatoes aggregate was largely positive. 

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Okay. Can you show me some notable critic reviews raving about what a fantastic film this was? 

VelvetyAgileHarrierhawk-size_restricted.