Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels2k3

"The five NCAA tournament moments that I’ll never forget" (The Undefeated - UNLV featured)

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-five-ncaa-tournament-moments-that-ill-never-forget/

MOST ANTICLIMACTIC RESULT: UNLV VS. DUKE IN THE 1990 CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

It’s no surprise that UNLV won the championship — the Runnin’ Rebels began the season as the nation’s top-ranked team with the addition of Larry Johnson.

But no one expected the 103-73 thrashing of Duke in the 1990 title game at McNichols Sports Arena in Denver, which remains the most lopsided margin of victory in a final.

There’s never been a team that was more aptly named. Its coach, Jerry “Tark the Shark” Tarkanian, was always under NCAA investigation and had just ended a 13-year battle with the governing body of college sports. His players, including Johnson, Greg Anthony, Stacey Augmon and Anderson Hunt, played with a combination of power and speed that made the game truly a battle between men and boys.

Poor Duke. Even with Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Alaa Abdelnaby and Brian Davis, the Blue Devils were overwhelmed. UNLV used its press to score 18 straight points over a span of three minutes in the second half. My sidebar story the next day was about Hunt, who had a hand in 16 of the points (12 points and two assists) during that 18-point outburst while helping hold Hurley without a field goal.

Added significance of that game: It marked the last time a team from a non-Power 5 conference won an NCAA title. The Runnin’ Rebels’ road to a repeat the following season fell short in the national semifinals. The team that stopped them: Duke.

Of the Final Fours that I’ve attended, it’s the only title game I’ve seen not played in a dome. McNichols had a capacity of 17,000 and the sightlines were great. That’s not the case today.