Ibanez

Old Dominion is struggling as a D1

Rice should move to the UAA in D3. Being affiliated with schools like Washington(MO), Brandeis, Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, etc would be better than them trying to survive in C-USA with a bunch of directional schools.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Timing is behind everything, that’s the only reason why tcu and Louisville are in power conferences.

That’s an overly simplistic way of looking at things, but whatever.

46 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Rice is like Stanford, both great academically, but Stanford gets all the great and smart football players. 

And Stanford actually wins in sports.  Granted, in sports that don't matter nationally.  But winning is winning.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

No chance. Gonzaga runs that league and not only would Rice being in hurt Zags basketball, Dallas is a shit ton miles from Spokane.

Rice is in Houston, not Dallas.

• Confused 1
19 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

And Stanford actually wins in sports.  Granted, in sports that don't matter nationally.  But winning is winning.

They're pretty solid in football and basketball too.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

4 times to the Dance, none since 1970.  And the baseball success can be summed up in 2 words - Wayne Graham.  They sucked before him, and in the 1st year without him they were sub .500.

A tiny private school with a big brain, and ambivalence towards athletics.  Some things can be overcome.  Some cant.

This says it all. My niece graduated from Rice, in 4 years she never once had any desire to attend any sporting events. I have a feeling she was more the rule than the exception. 

3 hours ago, bigd said:

Rice should move to the UAA in D3. Being affiliated with schools like Washington(MO), Brandeis, Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, etc would be better than them trying to survive in C-USA with a bunch of directional schools.

Those directional schools are no different than the MWC.  G5 is G5, and i mean that in a good way.  The athletes at the G5 FBS/D1 level for football and basketball are way better in general than those below.  Just like no P5 school would ever voluntary drop down to be in a conference with G5 schools,  i can't see why a school like Rice that is loaded with cash would ever drop down to play lower level athletes just so they can say they won a few more games.  The academic standards are tough to overcome, but it beats the heck out of playing D3 schools.    

5 hours ago, RSF said:

4 times to the Dance, none since 1970.  And the baseball success can be summed up in 2 words - Wayne Graham.  They sucked before him, and in the 1st year without him they were sub .500.

A tiny private school with a big brain, and ambivalence towards athletics.  Some things can be overcome.  Some cant.

Hey, that's only 50 years. At Rice, rebuilding takes time.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

This says it all. My niece graduated from Rice, in 4 years she never once had any desire to attend any sporting events. I have a feeling she was more the rule than the exception. 

So did a longtime friend of mine with whom I've lost contact. He went to Rice to play football circa 1977 after graduating from what is now the renowned Harvard-Westlake HS where he was a star QB. (Its academics weren't nearly so good back then.) Great athlete rich kid who struggled to get his BA and then struggled to graduate from law school and finally passed the California bar around 1990 after flunking it half a dozen times. My friend was the epitome of a kid who could never live up to his overachieving father's expectations and I have to wonder how many such kids end up at private schools like Rice for which their parents' donations are as important as anything in helping them get a degree.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, alum93 said:

Those directional schools are no different than the MWC.  G5 is G5, and i mean that in a good way.  The athletes at the G5 FBS/D1 level for football and basketball are way better in general than those below.  Just like no P5 school would ever voluntary drop down to be in a conference with G5 schools,  i can't see why a school like Rice that is loaded with cash would ever drop down to play lower level athletes just so they can say they won a few more games.  The academic standards are tough to overcome, but it beats the heck out of playing D3 schools.    

Because Rice students and administrators don’t care about athletics...

9 hours ago, alum93 said:

The fact that they are loaded with cash is a reason why they could, because if the athletic department generates any revenue it is a drop in the bucket to them. I don’t think it’s crazy to think that dropping down and drastically cutting costs could net them more money. With most D1 programs the risk is that even if you save money by dropping down you could still actually hurt the university long term if it results in a lower enrollment and less donations. For Rice that’s not an issue, because the kids that can get in to Rice damn sure aren’t applying because they can’t wait to see those historic annual matchups with North Texas and Louisiana Tech. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Hey, that's only 50 years. At Rice, rebuilding takes time.

8 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

So did a longtime friend of mine with whom I've lost contact. He went to Rice to play football circa 1977 after graduating from what is now the renowned Harvard-Westlake HS where he was a star QB. (Its academics weren't nearly so good back then.) Great athlete rich kid who struggled to get his BA and then struggled to graduate from law school and finally passed the California bar around 1990 after flunking it half a dozen times. My friend was the epitome of a kid who could never live up to his overachieving father's expectations and I have to wonder how many such kids end up at private schools like Rice for which their parents' donations are as important as anything in helping them get a degree.

2 hours ago, bigd said:

Because Rice students and administrators don’t care about athletics...

Rice won't reach it's potential until it finds a way to join the WCC.

Rice in the WCC would be amazing.  Everyone can see that.

Rice and USD would offer rich recruiting territory.  Gonzaga needs that.