Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ibanez

Old Dominion is struggling as a D1

9 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

It's been slow, I'll grant you that, but the SBC has had upward momentum for the last decade or so. In contrast, CUSA is basura. There's a reason that Texas State is a member of the Sun Belt whereas CUSA has Rice, UTEP and the highly overrated UTSA. If ODU is smart, it will seek to join the Sun Belt if that conference decides to expand to 12 members.

Not sure why you dislike Rice.

Rice probably needs to get out of playing college football, and then focus on playing strong basketball and baseball, and other sports.  Not sure what their conference options are, though.

A look at the Sun Belt vs CSUA geography:

Seems like each Sun Belt School has a conference mater within driving range.

SUNBELT

Sunbelt_2016.png

CUSA

Conference_USA_Locations_3.png

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Rice probably needs to get out of playing college football, and then focus on playing strong basketball and baseball, and other sports.  Not sure what their conference options are, though.

Because football is the most important sport there is and Rice has been horse crap in football since almost forever. (12 winning seasons in the last 50 years.)

I'm not going to check on RIce's basketball prowess but I literally can't remember the Owls ever being in the NCAA tournament. Maybe Rice can drop that sport too and just concentrate on baseball.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Because football is the most important sport there is and Rice has been horse crap in football since almost forever. (12 winning seasons in the last 50 years.)

I'm not going to check on RIce's basketball prowess but I literally can't remember the Owls ever being in the NCAA tournament. Maybe Rice can drop that sport too and just concentrate on baseball.

Wish we could get Rice into the WCC.

They'd be a good fit with USD and the other WCC membership. 

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

A look at the Sun Belt vs CSUA geography:

Seems like each Sun Belt School has a conference mater within driving range.

SUNBELT

Sunbelt_2016.png

CUSA

Conference_USA_Locations_3.png

Thanks for posting this. I wanted to see something to compare each conference.  They really should just do some wife swap and go geographical. 

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Nobody dislikes Rice.  Its like disliking puppies.

A puppy with a 150 IQ.

15 minutes ago, RSF said:

A puppy with a 150 IQ.

Well Rice doesn’t do anything. It’d be like disliking a broom. 

On 4/5/2020 at 5:48 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

CUSA is spread out over too large a geographic area now.  They’re one of the better Non aq  conferences but their status is faltering.  Sunbelt is doing a good job, their previous commish Benson  knew what he was doing.  Gill hasn’t had much time on the job but obviously the product was good in 2019.  

I think the SBC getting to a better place then the CUSA had much less to do with Benson and more to do with good timing and some luck. The luck was that they become more concise geographically because CUSA took their schools in Florida, Tennessee, and Kentucky; it’s not like they wanted to lose MTSU, WKU, FAU, and FIU. Then they had great timing in that they were able to have a CCG without expanding because of the Big 12. That’s not to say Benson didn’t do a good job, but some of the best decisions made regarding the SBC were made by CUSA.  

On 4/6/2020 at 7:07 AM, 1066 said:

If they are one of the better non aq conferences please tell me which money sport they are good at.

I’m not interested in explaining their history to you.   They’re consistently one of the better conferences as a whole that has fallen of late.  That’s all that matters to the topic.  

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I think the SBC getting to a better place then the CUSA had much less to do with Benson and more to do with good timing and some luck. The luck was that they become more concise geographically because CUSA took their schools in Florida, Tennessee, and Kentucky; it’s not like they wanted to lose MTSU, WKU, FAU, and FIU. Then they had great timing in that they were able to have a CCG without expanding because of the Big 12. That’s not to say Benson didn’t do a good job, but some of the best decisions made regarding the SBC were made by CUSA.  

Timing is behind everything, that’s the only reason why tcu and Louisville are in power conferences.

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I’m not capable of explaining their history to you.   

FIFY

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Timing is behind everything, that’s the only reason why tcu and Louisville are in power conferences.

its not.  I could explain it to ya, but I cant help you understand.

12 hours ago, RSF said:

A puppy with a 150 IQ.

What is your prescription to fix Owls Athletics?

(don't say shut the whole thing down....that's not fair to the Owls Students and Alums).

I could see shutting down football.   But if they do that, what are their realistic alternatives for other conferences?

37 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

D3.

53 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

(don't say shut the whole thing down....that's not fair to the Owls Students and Alums).

I could see shutting down football.   But if they do that, what are their realistic alternatives for other conferences?

Their realistic options become the MVC (Dallas Baptist is an affiliare in baseball so having a full member in Texas can be a good thing), Horizon and Summit.  There are other alternatives in theory but in practice, each won't work.

The MWC? no football, no membership.

The WAC? too far flung and too academically inferior for Rice's brass to accept.  They won't be too thrilled with Dixie State, Utah Valley, Tarleton State or GCU.

The Big West?  Rice's academics match up perfectly and olympic sports might become more competitive but even with a sweet travel subsidy, they'd be literally stranded on an island.  Hawaii won't be thrilled flying to California and then Texas and then back to Honolulu, plus who do you pair Rice with, UC Riverside?

The WCC?  Gonzaga and Saint Mary's won't take kindly to Rice's hoops tradition and Gonzaga calls the shots.  BYU and Rice could work as travel partners I suppose, but unless there's a 12th member relatively nearby that's just stretching the footprint too far east. 

The Big Sky?  Wow.  Nuff said

51 minutes ago, RSF said:

D3.

And you cry when I say that SJSU needs to drop down. Nimrod.

It's fair to say most teams in the MAC, as well as several teams from the other G5 need to drop to the FCS. SJSU, possibly New Mexico, Tulsa, LA Monroe, Coastal Carolina,Texas State, New Mexico State, Nevada?

I don't say what I say to be mean. The gap has just became too large. 

4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

And you cry when I say that SJSU needs to drop down. Nimrod.

Please point out where i ever said that.  Ever.

And the situations are not the same regardless.  Not even close.

17 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Wish we could get Rice into the WCC.

They'd be a good fit with USD and the other WCC membership. 

No chance. Gonzaga runs that league and not only would Rice being in hurt Zags basketball, Dallas is a shit ton miles from Spokane.

5 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Right. Had absolutely nothing to do with TCU football prowess and Louisville hoops success.

20 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

4 times to the Dance, none since 1970.  And the baseball success can be summed up in 2 words - Wayne Graham.  They sucked before him, and in the 1st year without him they were sub .500.

A tiny private school with a big brain, and ambivalence towards athletics.  Some things can be overcome.  Some cant.