Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ibanez

Old Dominion is struggling as a D1

Recommended Posts

ODU should consider division 3 in all sports except basketball. Not that they are much good in basketball but it is the only division 1 sport they have a chance of being good in. Pulling out of  CUSA would not be a bad idea either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why so many schools like ODU, Georgia State, South Alabama, etc are FBS. The only school that makes some sense is App State because of their football success. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

ODU's joining a dying CUSA was yugely stoopid.

From 2001 through 2004, CUSA included TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis as well as USF and ECU. The first two have been in power conferences for quite some time and the second three have been in conversations about that. The seven all left in 2005 and were immediately replaced by Marshall, UTEP and Rice. CUSA can't be blamed for adding Marshall but Rice and UTEP were has-beens from what had been barely-weres.

Whenever a poster argues here that the MWC should add Rice, UTEP or particularly both of those schools, he should be forced to wear a scarlet "DA" on his forehead signifying dumbass.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember ODU was a power in women‘a basketball when I was a kid. They’ve fallen off the map just like LaTech

also, the ncaa should lower the number of sports schools are required to sponsor. This title ix crap is going to be the death of a lot of programs.  Maybe just scrapping conferences for non football and men’s b-ball sports, and going strictly  regional would be best.  
 

Nevada “non essential” sports should be in a conference with sac state, Davis, pacific, San Jose, Saint Mary’s, Santa Clara, San Francisco, Fresno. And Stanford and cal if they’re down with it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

I don't know why so many schools like ODU, Georgia State, South Alabama, etc are FBS. The only school that makes some sense is App State because of their football success. 

Actually I think the issue with ODU’s move wasn’t that the moved up, it’s that they ended up in the CUSA. CUSA still probably has the better brand, but the SBC seems like the better conference to be in as it has less travel costs and is concentrated more in the Southern states with the more fertile recruiting grounds. CUSA is just too big, but unfortunately for them they expanded when having a CCG with less then 12 schools wasn’t an option, so going to 14 so they weren’t a defection away from losing their CCG was a better idea at the time they made that decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing with ODU and Liberty is all of the resources and money they have spent just to play in the FBS. They put in the time and effort so they deserve the chance to succeed. And Liberty is an Independent. EEK! If I was a Liberty fan I'd Iike to see Liberty and ODU join the Sunbelt. Gives the Sunbelt 12. Then NMSU can join C-USA getting them back to 14 again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

CUSA is spread out over too large a geographic area now.  They’re one of the better Non aq  conferences but their status is faltering.  Sunbelt is doing a good job, their previous commish Benson  knew what he was doing.  Gill hasn’t had much time on the job but obviously the product was good in 2019.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion is the Sun Belt and CUSA divide themselves east and west. These smaller low budget schools need to look at being bus leagues and reducing the number of sports.

No, I'm not going to hijack this into a realignment thread.

I know the alumni, administrators, faculty and students all want to have good sports teams. But, for most, it will never happen. They just need to get over their hopes and dreams of being in the FBS. 

Where's the money coming from when you average 2,000 for b-ball games, but you have to travel a 1000 miles to play a conference game on a Tuesday in January ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

My opinion is the Sun Belt and CUSA divide themselves east and west. These smaller low budget schools need to look at being bus leagues and reducing the number of sports.

No, I'm not going to hijack this into a realignment thread.

I know the alumni, administrators, faculty and students all want to have good sports teams. But, for most, it will never happen. They just need to get over their hopes and dreams of being in the FBS. 

Where's the money coming from when you average 2,000 for b-ball games, but you have to travel a 1000 miles to play a conference game on a Tuesday in January ?

Yeah this seems logical, but I think the two leagues are split in a way that makes sense politically and culturally. C-USA schools tend to be in large metro areas, while the Sun Belt schools tend to be state schools in smaller college towns. I think for the most part schools are happy the way the membership currently is.

 

But I agree from an outside perspective having a southeast and southwest conference would seem to be much more logical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

CUSA is spread out over too large a geographic area now.  They’re one of the better Non aq  conferences but their status is faltering.  Sunbelt is doing a good job, their previous commish Benson  knew what he was doing.  Gill hasn’t had much time on the job but obviously the product was good in 2019.  

If they are one of the better non aq conferences please tell me which money sport they are good at.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ibanez said:

The thing with ODU and Liberty is all of the resources and money they have spent just to play in the FBS. They put in the time and effort so they deserve the chance to succeed. And Liberty is an Independent. EEK! If I was a Liberty fan I'd Iike to see Liberty and ODU join the Sunbelt. Gives the Sunbelt 12. Then NMSU can join C-USA getting them back to 14 again.

Liberty will always have big time cash, and their long term goal is to be a P5 quality school that’s Indy like ND. So they don’t need a conference. Simple as that. They also don’t have to schedule money games that are a sure loss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 1066 said:

ODU should consider division 3 in all sports except basketball. Not that they are much good in basketball but it is the only division 1 sport they have a chance of being good in. Pulling out of  CUSA would not be a bad idea either.

I dont think it needs to be that drastic.  

Look at University of Idaho.  They really struggled to make it.  Losing money fans and enrollment.   They drop down to Div 2 and things are looking up again.  You just need to find the right fit where you can compete.  

We have the same issues here.  Wait until football season is cancelled this fall if you dont believe me.   Many of our programs can barely afford to keep the lights on.  Let alone prosper here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1066 said:

If they are one of the better non aq conferences please tell me which money sport they are good at.

Even as a 1-bid league they've won more games in the NCAA and NIT than the Mountain West over the past 5 years. They also have a pretty good overall bowl record as a conference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigd said:

Even as a 1-bid league they've won more games in the NCAA and NIT than the Mountain West over the past 5 years. They also have a pretty good overall bowl record as a conference.

Can't really judge it that way. The MWC has a winning record over the AAC since the existence of the AAC. Not sure I'd say that makes the Mountain West a better football conference. Especially when the AAC is in the east which gives them a huge advantage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

My opinion is the Sun Belt and CUSA divide themselves east and west. These smaller low budget schools need to look at being bus leagues and reducing the number of sports.

No, I'm not going to hijack this into a realignment thread.

I know the alumni, administrators, faculty and students all want to have good sports teams. But, for most, it will never happen. They just need to get over their hopes and dreams of being in the FBS. 

Where's the money coming from when you average 2,000 for b-ball games, but you have to travel a 1000 miles to play a conference game on a Tuesday in January ?

The Sun Belt was smart to stay at only 10 schools, and to keep a smaller geographic footprint.

they seem to be doing fine, while CUSA is struggling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

CUSA is spread out over too large a geographic area now.  They’re one of the better Non aq  conferences but their status is faltering.  Sunbelt is doing a good job, their previous commish Benson  knew what he was doing.  Gill hasn’t had much time on the job but obviously the product was good in 2019.  

It's been slow, I'll grant you that, but the SBC has had upward momentum for the last decade or so. In contrast, CUSA is basura. There's a reason that Texas State is a member of the Sun Belt whereas CUSA has Rice, UTEP and the highly overrated UTSA. If ODU is smart, it will seek to join the Sun Belt if that conference decides to expand to 12 members.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...