Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Live Free or Die

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

It's now a misdemeanor to be outside in my county if you don't convince the authorities that your activity is essential. 

Even on your own property? Or do you mean out in public?

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

Even on your own property? Or do you mean out in public?

Anywhere in public. And I've been the one going out to get groceries and other essentials for us and our parents, so I've been out and about in our busiest areas. We've also taken our son out to a handful of local parks in the last few weeks to play ball and other things in the fields while respecting the guidelines for personal space. It's like Wall Street on a Sunday out there. People are absolutely respecting the guidelines. All this does is empower the local police to intervene anywhere and everywhere to demand an explanation for your being in public, whether you are anywhere near another person or not. It criminalizes behavior that endangers no one. It is unnecessary. 

Interestingly enough, our county (which has comparatively seen few cases and few deaths compared to the state and even the region) received very poor grades on those statewide social distancing tests that were conducted based on cell phone data. I wonder if that has anything do to with it.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

27 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It's now a misdemeanor to be outside in my county if you don't convince the authorities that your activity is essential. 

Jfc. The center cannot hold.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

32 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Anywhere in public. And I've been the one going out to get groceries and other essentials for us and our parents, so I've been out and about in our busiest areas. We've also taken our son out to a handful of local parks in the last few weeks to play ball and other things in the fields while respecting the guidelines for personal space. It's like Wall Street on a Sunday out there. People are absolutely respecting the guidelines. All this does is empower the local police to intervene anywhere and everywhere to demand an explanation for your being in public, whether you are anywhere near another person or not. It criminalizes behavior that endangers no one. It is unnecessary. 

Interestingly enough, our county (which has comparatively seen few cases and few deaths compared to the state and even the region) received very poor grades on those statewide social distancing tests that were conducted based on cell phone data. I wonder if that has anything do to with it.

What county are you in?   

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

What county are you in?   

Merced. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

It seems like government officials are all trying to outdo each other in cracking down on citizen movement. It does make you question if that mindset will continue when things normalize. I can see a lot more laws cracking down on citizens for doing things the government doesn’t like since people are so submissive right now. 

I also see them taking clues from each other. Governor or Mayor X has restricted people from leaving home for any reason other than what X deems necessary. Maybe I should  be doing the same. Right after I post this, see below.

I have to admit, I had never really thought or realized just how important freedom of assembly is.  I'd never personally experienced life without it.  (Yes, it has occurred to me that some Americans had this right suspended during the Rodney King riots).

Now I know why it's the first thing tyrannies limit.

Just to be clear, I'm not equating social distancing with the Kristalnacht.  And in this post I'm not even trying to debate the various actions of our governments.

All I'm saying is that eliminating the right to assembly destroys the people's ability to resist government.  It's something I had to live through to understand.