Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobonado

MSU player is transferring b/c of Mike Leach tweet

13 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I agree with you and that would be my first impression. But to a young black man raised around racism, I think you have to acknowledge there are other possible innuendos.

Stunner read this quote by Bsu 9 and then  reread my posts.  If you still don’t get it then maybe you should read about the history of African Americans.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

Stunner read this quote by Bsu 9 and then  reread my posts.  If you still don’t get it then maybe you should read about the history of African Americans.

We are probably going to have to agree to disagree.

The meme was that the wife was "knitting a scarf FOR HER HUSBAND" (not for anyone else).

I know all about nooses and lynching of the black community in the South....  But that's not this joke IMO. 

We've talked this through, and I understand your position, and I'll respect that.

On 4/4/2020 at 9:09 AM, RSF said:

Good Lord - that meme is all over the place.  Kid needs to get a sense of humor.  Or get married...

¿If this kids gets "...a sense of humor," will you get a sense of history & geography?

9 hours ago, 1IvyDog said:

The noose , white hood and the burning cross are the most horrific symbols to the African American community.  If you don’t understand that you’re a bigot, clueless or  lack empathy.  As a black man I’m stunned by the lack of understanding of this topic on a board of college educated members.

AMEN.  These responses are unreal.

8 hours ago, RSF said:

Not really, but whatever helps you get thru the day.

So putting you down lacking a sense of humor, reading racial where none exists, and thin skinned.  Ill withhold judgment on d).

For now.

What qualifies you to declare a noose in Mississippi has no racial connotation?

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I think what many people here are missing is the context. Two years ago Mississippi senator said she would love to be front-row at a hanging. Then got re-elected with a Trump endorsement. This player is from the same town in Mississippi as a dude who showed up to the polls wearing this in 2018:

The player’s father said the reason his son is leaving is because he didn’t apologize or acknowledge in person how that could be interpreted as being offensive, and didn’t want his son playing for someone who didn’t act like a leader.

image.png

Thank you for providing salient context that many here are ignorant to.

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I fail to see how any of what you posted has anything to do with Mike Leach posting a meme about a marriage joke, or provides "context" for his marriage joke meme.  The joke is completely unrelated to your story of a Mississippi senator.

How can this meme making a marriage joke be interpreted as racism?  Are you saying it's because the punchline of the joke was a wife knitting her husband a noose (implying that the wife is sick of her husband)?  Sorry, that's a huge stretch...  

Location, location, location...

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

We are probably going to have to agree to disagree.

The meme was that the wife was "knitting a scarf FOR HER HUSBAND" (not for anyone else).

I know all about nooses and lynching of the black community in the South....  But that's not this joke IMO. 

We've talked this through, and I understand your position, and I'll respect that.

How can you completely ignore where Leach works & who employs him?

4 hours ago, 1IvyDog said:

Your utter nonsense stating a noose is not a symbol of racism in America is not only insulting but devalues the horrible history of African Americans in this country.  So the next time you try to tell African Americans how they should interpret racial symbols and  dogma contrary to their personal experiences and not taking into account the struggles they have to overcome you should expect an emotional response.

Under which category does his reply fall under? White-splaining? White privileged? Or both? I am thinking both. 

Clearly, people are going to see what they want to see.  You want to see racism, you'll see racism.  You want to see what it is - a simple joke about the dynamics of marriage in the era of COVID-19 - well, guess what...

Human nature.  Its a bitch.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, RSF said:

Clearly, people are going to see what they want to see.  You want to see racism, you'll see racism.  You want to see what it is - a simple joke about the dynamics of marriage in the era of COVID-19 - well, guess what...

Human nature.  Its a bitch.

No harm was meant here. I get that. But made in Mississippi it has different connotation.

I make a sheep joke on this board about a Vegas fan no one gets it. I make a sheep joke about CSU or Fresno it has different meaning. Fact.

People just like to argue on this board about stupid chit. 

24 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

No harm was meant here. I get that. But made in Mississippi it has different connotation.

Not if someone simply reads the quote that went with the picture, it doesnt.

And it wasnt made in Mississippi.  If Leach were still at WSU guaranteed somebody would have gotten pissed off.  It's one of the literally thousands of COVID-related memes making their way around the 'Net as we all try to deal with the current situation.

Yes...to some people NOOSE = BAD.  Without bother to check out the context (to invoke a previous post), it's 'see what we want to see'.  Wouldnt make much sense if Gertrude was trying to knit a shotgun, now would it?  Context.  And shades of gray, as opposed to (knowing this will offend somebody) black and white.  But too many people these days simply arent interested in such things.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

Not if someone simply reads the quote that went with the picture, it doesnt.

And it wasnt made in Mississippi.  If Leach were still at WSU guaranteed somebody would have gotten pissed off.  It's one of the literally thousands of COVID-related memes making their way around the 'Net as we all try to deal with the current situation.

Yes...to some people NOOSE = BAD.  Without bother to check out the context (to invoke a previous post), it's 'see what we want to see'.  Wouldnt make much sense if Gertrude was trying to knit a shotgun, now would it?  Context.  And shades of gray, as opposed to (knowing this will offend somebody) black and white.  But too many people these days simply arent interested in such things.

https://m.magnoliastatelive.com/2020/04/03/new-mississippi-state-coach-learns-noose-jokes-arent-funny-in-mississippi-apologizes-for-tweet/

“But several MSU players responded to the post with face-palm and raised-eyebrow emojis and a profane acronym, the newspaper reported.” 

Look. Many people didn’t take offense. Some of who did are his players. I get your argument, I just think Leach was stupid. 

On 4/5/2020 at 12:19 PM, 1IvyDog said:

The noose , white hood and the burning cross are the most horrific symbols to the African American community.  If you don’t understand that you’re a bigot, clueless or  lack empathy.  As a black man I’m stunned by the lack of understanding of this topic on a board of college educated members.

Being college educated does not mean one cannot be a racist.  Also, you are assuming that most on here are college educated, but my guess is that a good number are.  As we can see, some are not embarrassed to express their feelings on this sensitive matter.  

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

Does this mean no jokes involving the board game Clue?

Cuz...you know.  Its got a noose.

Just trying to determine where the line is, folks.

There is, unfortunately, far too much racism and bigotry in the world already.  We dont need more created where it doesnt exist.  As the old saying goes, I can explain it to you, but I cant help you understand.

19 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Slapdad, care to say it to IvyDog?

I said it on an open forum......are you assuming that he can't see it? :huh:

My post was mostly poking fun at Leach locking a player in a closet, but I also tossed in a little on how thin-skinned your outrage was over the tweet, which had zero racial undertones to it. To @1IvyDog's post, I say:

People who don't understand what those symbols mean to the African American community would be naive, not bigots. Bigotry and naivety are two completely different things and calling someone a bigot who is not one simply because you are projecting your perceptions of the world onto them is absurd. The white hood and burning cross have no other symbolic place in our society other than racial violence, while the noose has several. Those that were/are offended by the tweet and took it as a racial attack are completely ignoring the context and intent of the tweet and those are not unimportant. 

4 hours ago, Slapdad said:

I said it on an open forum......are you assuming that he can't see it? :huh:

My post was mostly poking fun at Leach locking a player in a closet, but I also tossed in a little on how thin-skinned your outrage was over the tweet, which had zero racial undertones to it. To @1IvyDog's post, I say:

People who don't understand what those symbols mean to the African American community would be naive, not bigots. Bigotry and naivety are two completely different things and calling someone a bigot who is not one simply because you are projecting your perceptions of the world onto them is absurd. The white hood and burning cross have no other symbolic place in our society other than racial violence, while the noose has several. Those that were/are offended by the tweet and took it as a racial attack are completely ignoring the context and intent of the tweet and those are not unimportant. 

You were drinking some cheap stuff that night if you really think that. I was/am not outraged. Stating that I understand the player's reaction is not outrage. Drink better shit.