Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobonado

MSU player is transferring b/c of Mike Leach tweet

20 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

The kid. 

Joking Just Kidding GIF

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

16 hours ago, RSF said:

African Americans arent the only ones with a reason to not like nooses.  Mexican Americans likewise have an undertold yet no less tragic history with lynchings.  Yet, didnt stop my very liberal TexMex wife - raised in sight of the border - from posting the meme herself and rolling her eyes over the Leach story.  Because a) its funny, b) it has nothing to do with anything racial, c) she's not thin skinned and d) has an IQ above room temperature.

Indignation, like a lot of things, is a lot more effective if not overused.

I am very aware of the severely untold injustices against my culture. Rangers in Texas, California and in all of the former Mexican territories were extensions of KKK or other racial supremacy school. Your wife's action don't represent an entire culture. A false equivalency argument.

14 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Because Mississippi is the only place where anything like that happened. ^_^ Calling it dumbassery is dumbaassery! There is nothing racial about the joke and it’s just that...a joke. Anyone who is offended by it is a thin-skinned baby who would never make it though being locked in a closet during practice anyway.  Don’t get all California on us. 

57 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

The noose , white hood and the burning cross are the most horrific symbols to the African American community.  If you don’t understand that you’re a bigot, clueless or  lack empathy.  As a black man I’m stunned by the lack of understanding of this topic on a board of college educated members.

Slapdad, care to say it to IvyDog?

2 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I am very aware of the severely untold injustices against my culture. Rangers in Texas, California and in all of the former Mexican territories were extensions of KKK or other racial supremacy school. Your wife's action don't represent an entire culture. A false equivalency argument.

Not really, but whatever helps you get thru the day.

So putting you down lacking a sense of humor, reading racial where none exists, and thin skinned.  Ill withhold judgment on d).

For now.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

sounds like the kid didn't want to play for ML so he waited for him to say something stupid/controversial (inevitable with him) so he would have a reason to transfer knowing the school/team wouldn't fight it. JMHO. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
5 hours ago, 1IvyDog said:

The noose , white hood and the burning cross are the most horrific symbols to the African American community.  If you don’t understand that you’re a bigot, clueless or  lack empathy.  As a black man I’m stunned by the lack of understanding of this topic on a board of college educated members.

A noose is not necessarily SOLELY a symbol of racism, and obviously was not used in any sort of racist context in a marriage joke. 

Saying that any sort of reference to a noose can only be viewed as racist would be as silly as saying that any reference to a cross is racist, because the racist KKK used crosses.... 

Heck, you can see a noose in like hundreds of Western movies---which have zero to do with racism.   If the kid didn't want to play for Mike Leach, fine...  But he shouldn't be a coward and avoid saying so, and claim it was because of racism.  Obviously, not true...

Plus, isn't Mike Leach a "pirate" guy!?!

Is a noose a pirate thing, too?

Guest #1Stunner
15 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

sounds like the kid didn't want to play for ML so he waited for him to say something stupid/controversial (inevitable with him) so he would have a reason to transfer knowing the school/team wouldn't fight it. JMHO. 

Probably right.

Only problem is Leach's joke wasn't even "stupid/controversial".  The kid jumped too quickly, and failed at manufacturing a controversy. 

15 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Probably right.

Only problem is Leach's joke wasn't even "stupid/controversial".  The kid jumped too quickly, and failed at manufacturing a controversy. 

It’s a wonder why BYU is so white with idiots like you .

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, 1IvyDog said:

It’s a wonder why BYU is so white with idiots like you .

There are a few ways to respond to an genuine argument.

1.  Admit the other poster has a point, that you might have not considered something, and that your original take was probably too absolute or wrong.

2.  Politely disagree, and/or offer a rebuttal argument responding to what they said.  Add to the conversation....

3.  Resort to an ad hominem, with insults, and come across as completely embarrassed and foolish.

Which one did you just choose?

12 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

2.  Politely disagree, and/or offer a rebuttal argument responding to what they said.  Add to the conversation....

I think what many people here are missing is the context. Two years ago Mississippi senator said she would love to be front-row at a hanging. Then got re-elected with a Trump endorsement. This player is from the same town in Mississippi as a dude who showed up to the polls wearing this in 2018:

The player’s father said the reason his son is leaving is because he didn’t apologize or acknowledge in person how that could be interpreted as being offensive, and didn’t want his son playing for someone who didn’t act like a leader.

image.png

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I think what many people here are missing is the context. Two years ago Mississippi senator said she would love to be front-row at a hanging. Then got re-elected with a Trump endorsement. This player is from the same town in Mississippi as a dude who showed up to the polls wearing this in 2018:

The player’s father said the reason his son is leaving is because he didn’t apologize or acknowledge in person how that could be interpreted as being offensive, and didn’t want his son playing for someone who didn’t act like a leader.

image.png

I fail to see how any of what you posted has anything to do with Mike Leach posting a meme about a marriage joke, or provides "context" for his marriage joke meme.  The joke is completely unrelated to your story of a Mississippi senator.

How can this meme making a marriage joke be interpreted as racism?  Are you saying it's because the punchline of the joke was a wife knitting her husband a noose (implying that the wife is sick of her husband)?  Sorry, that's a huge stretch...  

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

How can this meme making a marriage joke be interpreted as racism?  Are you saying it's because the punchline of the joke was a wife knitting her husband a noose (implying that the wife is sick of her husband)?  Sorry, that's a huge stretch...

Implying she wants him to get out of the house and get back to lynchin?

It’s Mississippi, man.

Guest #1Stunner
On 4/4/2020 at 10:09 AM, RSF said:

Good Lord - that meme is all over the place.  Kid needs to get a sense of humor.  Or get married...

Mike-Leach-noose-meme.jpg

20 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Implying she wants him to get out of the house and get back to lynchin?

It’s Mississippi, man.

Did you think the punchline of this joke is that the wife really wants her husband to leave to house (not be quarantined) so she can get back to her work of lynching black people in Mississippi?

WOW.

You had a completely different interpretation of this than I did.

I thought the punchline was that the noose was for her husband (i.e., that the wife is sick of him, wants him "whacked", because she's had to spend so much time with him).  "She decided to knit HIM a scarf".

23 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

There are a few ways to respond to an genuine argument.

1.  Admit the other poster has a point, that you might have not considered something, and that your original take was probably too absolute or wrong.

3.  Resort to an ad hominem, with insults, and come across as completely embarrassed and foolish.

Which one did you just choose?

Your utter nonsense stating a noose is not a symbol of racism in America is not only insulting but devalues the horrible history of African Americans in this country.  So the next time you try to tell African Americans how they should interpret racial symbols and  dogma contrary to their personal experiences and not taking into account the struggles they have to overcome you should expect an emotional response.

- Pat Hill

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

Your utter nonsense stating a noose is not a symbol of racism in America is not only insulting but devalues the horrible history of African Americans in this country.  So the next time you try to tell African Americans how they should interpret racial symbols and  dogma contrary to their personal experiences and not taking into account the struggles they have to overcome you should expect an emotional response.

I said no such thing.  I even wrote it in ALL CAPITALS so not be misunderstood.

Go back and give it a re-read.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Did you think the punchline of this joke is that the wife really wants her husband to leave to house (not be quarantined) so she can get back to her work of lynching black people in Mississippi?

WOW.

You had a completely different interpretation of this than I did.

I thought the punchline was that the noose was for her husband (i.e., that the wife is sick of him, because she's had to spend so much time with him).

I agree with you and that would be my first impression. But to a young black man raised around racism, I think you have to acknowledge there are other possible innuendos.

I stand corrected, I meant “imply“ 

- Pat Hill

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I agree with you and that would be my first impression. But to a young black man raised around racism, I think you have to acknowledge there are other possible innuendos.

Personally, I don't see a lot of innuendos in this meme, because it has a photo.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, 1IvyDog said:

I stand corrected, I meant “imply“ 

I didn't even imply it. 

I went out of my way not to imply what you are suggesting (my use of all capitals).

I just pointed out that I disagreed with your assertion that a noose, by definition, is always a symbol about lynching black people, and that therefore the meme is by definition racist.   Obviously a noose CAN be about that....but not SOLEY about that.   So I disagree that the meme is racist.

I simply don't see any obvious racism in this marriage joke meme.  Might depend on what you think the punchline of the joke was, I guess.