Jump to content
renoskier

Captain Crozier USS Theodore Roosevelt - Relieved of Command

Recommended Posts

So what was the upshot of the whole thing? Did the ship make land and the sailors treated? Are the rest quarantined? The military is a different animal. Violate the protocol and shit hits the fan. Lots of commanders have taken it in the shorts for bucking the system. Some are made scapegoats for higher up screw ups. 

It’s one reason I hated the military and couldn’t wait to get out. You do what you’re told. There is no room for any individual thinking and doing what you may think is best. Everything is pretty rigid and cut and dried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

So what was the upshot of the whole thing? Did the ship make land and the sailors treated? Are the rest quarantined? The military is a different animal. Violate the protocol and shit hits the fan. Lots of commanders have taken it in the shorts for bucking the system. Some are made scapegoats for higher up screw ups. 

It’s one reason I hated the military and couldn’t wait to get out. You do what you’re told. There is no room for any individual thinking and doing what you may think is best. Everything is pretty rigid and cut and dried. 

SecNav is trying to cover his ass.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no idea, but apparently Capt. Crozier is from Santa Rosa:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/10874700-181/sailors-praise-capt-brett-crozier

The good captain followed the lead of another great American, and the namesake of his ship, Teddy Roosevelt

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/04/04/theodore-roosevelt-captain-followed-in-footsteps-of-ships-namesake-by-writing-bombshell-letter/

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sandiegopete said:

.  Still, he sent it.  He put the welfare of his sailors above his own career.  

That,  is the mark of a great leader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great American. 

  • Cheers 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It obviously sucks because he was removed, but this story is actually pretty uplifting.

 

Someone in power being selfless and truly caring about their men, political consequences be damned seems rare right now.

  • Like 4
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Captain thought offloading his crew was the necessary and right thing to do, why didn't he do it?

He had the means and opportunity to do it...  He was near Guam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SBBulldog85 said:

If the Captain thought offloading his crew was the necessary and right thing to do, why didn't he do it?

He had the means and opportunity to do it...  He was near Guam.

Because his boss the Rear Admiral was on the ship, he would have disobeyed a direct order

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_P._Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 3:45 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

At O-6 and above politics is a factor.  My random guess is he brought the before the admiral, but the admiral didn't respond, probably because there is some sort of pressure on him for DOD/DC.  When the admiral showed he wasn't going to address it, the Captain did what he did.

He knew he was going to get roasted for it.  He followed his ethics, he has a clear conscience and a ticket to a land job. 

I read somewhere that he had asked 5 times for help and had been ignored. Apparently following the chain of command doesn't always get what you need. Good for him for doing the right thing, even though he knew what would happen.

Sec/Navy for the next admin seems right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just spoke with my brother today (active duty in the Navy) and he said the overwhelming sentiment among the people on his ship is this guy did the right thing and is a hero. 

  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only has Trump done nothing but he praised the decision by military leaders when it appears it didn’t come from military leaders at all but from SecNav at Trump’s urging.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/04/04/trump-brett-crozier-letter-165020

 

Apparently to Trump image overrides concerns for our people in the military.   And my opinion of Trump sinks to a new low which seems impossible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And do you think "Bone Spur" trump had anything to do with this?  The Captain did the correct thing. He was not getting any support from his command knew the only way he would is to go public!  He is what we as americans should admire, not the quagmire of the administration and their lack of response

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nevada6077 said:

And do you think "Bone Spur" trump had anything to do with this?  The Captain did the correct thing. He was not getting any support from his command knew the only way he would is to go public!  He is what we as americans should admire, not the quagmire of the administration and their lack of response

 

Trying to put the pieces together and fill in some gaps here is my supposition:

1) the SecNav and others wanted the anti China strategic projection of docking in Vietnam.  So they had the TR make a port call in Feb when Trump and others were minimizing the crises.

2) in March the virus starts to spread on the TR and the SecNav gets involved to keep the operation quiet.

3) the administration’s goal of keeping the operation quiet to not add fuel to the belief Trump downplayed this virus and the Captain’s goal of keeping his crewman safe starts to come into conflict and the SecNav gets involved to keep things quiet.

4) the Captain desperate for his crew writes a widely circulated letter which gets leaked to put pressure on SecNav and Trump.  

5) Trump gets pissed at being made to look bad and tells the SecNav to relieve the Captain of his command.

6) on Saturday Trump comes out with his support for the Military leaders (who had nothing to do with it) and blames the Captain for coming into port in Vietnam.   (Standard Trump playbook)

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2020 at 8:07 AM, Joe from WY said:

I had no idea, but apparently Capt. Crozier is from Santa Rosa:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/10874700-181/sailors-praise-capt-brett-crozier

The good captain followed the lead of another great American, and the namesake of his ship, Teddy Roosevelt

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/04/04/theodore-roosevelt-captain-followed-in-footsteps-of-ships-namesake-by-writing-bombshell-letter/

Teddy Roosevelt’s great grandson wrote a good oped in The NY Times yesterday: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/opinion/coronavirus-crozier-roosevelt.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Initiative is doing the right thing without being told". - Victor Hugo

Cheers to Capt. Crozier, USN. :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sactowndog said:

It appears according to Washington Post Trump may have had a role in this fiasco.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/04/trump-wants-him-fired-inside-ouster-capt-brett-crozier/%3foutputType=amp

 

Apparently this may be why Trump hasn’t stepped up and done shit...

No surprise there. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit.  I don’t see how the Acting Secretary survives this:  https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-secretary-blasts-fired-aircraft-carrier-captain

Quote

“If he didn't think, in my opinion, that this information wasn't going to get out into the public, in this day and information age that we live in, then he was either A, too naive, or too stupid to be a commanding officer of a ship like this,” Modly told the Theodore Roosevelt’s crew on April 5. “The alternative is that he did this on purpose. And that's a serious violation of the UCMJ which you are all familiar with.”

 

Quote

Modly also chastised the Theodore Roosevelt’s crew for cheering Crozier when he left the ship, claiming the former commanding officer’s memo caused concern among residents of Guam, where the ship is currently docked.

“So think about that when you cheer the man of the ship who exposed you to that,” Moldy said. “I understand you love the guy. It's good that you love him. But you're not required to love him.”

"Crew of the Teddy Roosevelt, you are under no obligation to love your leadership, only respect it," he continued. "You are under no obligation to like your job, only to do it. You are under no obligation, you are under no obligation to expect anything from your leaders other than they will treat you fairly and put the mission of the ship first."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×