Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

Captain Crozier USS Theodore Roosevelt - Relieved of Command

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Holy shit.  I don’t see how the Acting Secretary survives this:  https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-secretary-blasts-fired-aircraft-carrier-captain

He isn't going anywhere.  He is repeating almost verbatim Trumps own words on Saturday.   It is also increasing clear this did not come from lower in the chain of command as most of them are pissed.  As the Washington Post stated in the "opinion piece" posted earlier, this action certainly came from Trump telling to Modley to fire him.  SecNav didn't come up with this action on his own and clearly had some heavy pressure to go against the wishes of the military staff.

8 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

He isn't going anywhere.  He is repeating almost verbatim Trumps own words on Saturday.   It is also increasing clear this did not come from the chain of command as most of them are pissed.  As the Washington Post stated in the "opinion piece" posted earlier, this action certainly came from Trump telling to Modley to fire him.  SecNav didn't come up with this action on his own and clearly had some heavy pressure to go against the wishes of the military staff.

Trump hates negative press like this though.  I’ll be shocked if he’s still the acting secretary in a month.  He definitely won’t be confirmed though. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Trump hates negative press like this though.  I’ll be shocked if he’s still the acting secretary in a month.  He definitely won’t be confirmed though. 

Trump prizes loyalty to him above all else.   I will donate 50 bucks to a charity of your choice if he is not around in a month.   As for confirmations, the Republican's hold the Senate and they have shown no indication to break lock-step with Trump.   Heck look at the reactions from the Trump crowd on this board.   They are already supporting Trump and starting to attack Crozier.

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Heck look at the reactions from the Trump crowd on this board.   They are already supporting Trump and starting to attack Crozier.

Teams and shit no matter what!!

Yes and the fact that loyalty trumps all else is why the small fingered vulgarian is the biggest threat to discipline, troop readiness and the chain of command our military faces.

The commander in chief does not have their backs nor does he give a rats ass about their lives or the military. He is unfit for command.

One of the Final Five..........

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Trump prizes loyalty to him above all else.   I will donate 50 bucks to a charity of your choice if he is not around in a month.   As for confirmations, the Republican's hold the Senate and they have shown no indication to break lock-step with Trump.   Heck look at the reactions from the Trump crowd on this board.   They are already supporting Trump and starting to attack Crozier.

Yeah he should’ve gone through the chain of command. But this is overall a bad look for the administration.  And the senate has refused to confirm a couple of Trump appointees because of various concerns.  I think this will fall under the same thing as them. This type of incident is one that could make him loose the troops as his support was already wavering with the military.  I’m not saying they’d do anything like overthrow him but the GOP typically prides itself in having the support of the majority of the troops. 

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yeah he should’ve gone through the chain of command. But this is overall a bad look for the administration.  And the senate has refused to confirm a couple of Trump appointees because of various concerns.  I think this will fall under the same thing as them. This type of incident is one that could make him loose the troops as his support was already wavering with the military.  I’m not saying they’d do anything like overthrow him but the GOP typically prides itself in having the support of the majority of the troops. 

I am sure he tried to go through the chain of command.  You don't throw your career away needlessly.   

To say he should have gone through the chain is disingenuous.   It was clear Trump was involved and was not going to approve off-loading the sailors because it would make him look bad for having the Roosevelt have a port of call in Vietnam during a Pandemic.   When Crozier did something so unlike Trump, fall on his sword for the good of his crew, Trump resorted to his standard playbook of trying to blame Crozier for the stop in Vietnam.

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

To quote an recent popular quip: "the cure is worse than the virus" is absolutely true in this case. If not for relieving Crozier, none of this would have blown up. His letter would have been quickly lost to the Corona noise and forgotten. Maybe they should have quietly reprimanded him which would have had the same negative effect on his career.

22 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

While I respect the sentiment.....

I'm not sure why more career officers should join Colonel Vindman and Captain Crozier and throw there careers away because our President is a dipshit.   And in fact, neither is out of the service currently and those Generals and Admirals that are protecting both of them need to stay in place so Trump doesn't drive them and all honorable officers out of the military completely.   

What does need to happen is those in the Armed Services and those who have loved ones in it, like @Broncomare, need to realize Trump is more than willing sacrifice your or your loved ones lives for his own PR needs.   They need to move to vote is ass out of office.

29 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I personally believe he used the Chain of Command, and when his concerns were dismissed he did what he had to do. 

16 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

While I respect the sentiment.....

I'm not sure why more career officers should join Colonel Vindman and Captain Crozier and throw there careers away because our President is a dipshit.   And in fact, neither is out of the service currently and those Generals and Admirals that are protecting both of them need to stay in place so Trump doesn't drive them and all honorable officers out of the military completely.   

What does need to happen is those in the Armed Services and those who have loved ones in it, like @Broncomare, need to realize Trump is more than willing sacrifice your or your loved ones lives for his own PR needs.   They need to move to vote is ass out of office.

To be fair, President Obama wasn’t very friendly to Generals or Admirals that didn’t tow his company line either. He got rid of many that weren’t yes men. This President is doing the same. It’s bullshit no matter who’s in office.

6 minutes ago, sean327 said:

To be fair, President Obama wasn’t very friendly to Generals or Admirals that didn’t tow his company line either. He got rid of many that weren’t yes men. This President is doing the same. It’s bullshit no matter who’s in office.

Do you honestly think Obama would prevented the Captain from letting his crew get off?   I won't even go into whether he would have ordered him to port in Vietnam in the middle of a Pandemic. 

I get there can be long and vigorous debates about rules of engagement with valid opinions on both sides.  War College is in place to discuss much of these matters.  This was a peace time operation.  

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Do you honestly think Obama would prevented the Captain from letting his crew get off?   I won't even go into whether he would have ordered him to port in Vietnam in the middle of a Pandemic.

No I don’t. Obama was a lot of things, but stupid wasn’t one of them.

1 minute ago, sean327 said:

No I don’t. Obama was a lot of things, but stupid wasn’t one of them.

That's fair,  For the recond, I do believe Obama made a number of questionable decisions about Rules of Engagement and Readiness.  I have enough friends with kids as officers in the military to not question his policy decisions.  But those are policy decisions on warfare which are never easy and seldom completely right.   This decision was a complete lack of morality which is something entirely different.

26 minutes ago, sean327 said:

I personally believe he used the Chain of Command, and when his concerns were dismissed he did what he had to do. 

Yep, even junior NCO's are taught to use chain of command, but if you believe this is an ethical or legal issue, you can move up.  It is just my issues were at the individual Marine level.  The Captain was dealing with a command climate that is trying to suppress the issue, maybe all the way to the elected folks in D.C.

Without a mission, the priority is troop welfare.  And that is explicitly stated in leadership in Marines, Navy and Army (probably AF and USCG too).