Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

Captain Crozier USS Theodore Roosevelt - Relieved of Command

I know there's some Navy folks here, or at least a few Marines. Regarding this:

Modly had said Wednesday that the fact that Crozier wrote to his chain of command to express his concerns "would absolutely not result in any type of retaliation," adding that it was "what we want our commanding officers to be able to do."

But on Thursday Modly, who was named acting navy secretary after Richard Spencer was forced out as the Navy's top civilian late last year, said Crozier had shown "poor judgment" by sending his letter by email to up to 30 people, but not to his immediate superior on the warship.

Isn't/wasn't Captain Crozier the most superior officer on the ship?

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/03/826920834/after-outcry-over-navy-captain-relieved-of-command-assurances-he-wont-be-expelle?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogscoronavirusliveupdates

Here's a link to his actual letter:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6821571/TR-COVID-19-Assistance-Request.pdf

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Modly had said Wednesday that the fact that Crozier wrote to his chain of command to express his concerns "would absolutely not result in any type of retaliation," adding that it was "what we want our commanding officers to be able to do."

But on Thursday Modly, who was named acting navy secretary after Richard Spencer was forced out as the Navy's top civilian late last year, said Crozier had shown "poor judgment" by sending his letter by email to up to 30 people, but not to his immediate superior on the warship.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/03/826920834/after-outcry-over-navy-captain-relieved-of-command-assurances-he-wont-be-expelle?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=nprblogscoronavirusliveupdates

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6821571/TR-COVID-19-Assistance-Request.pdf

I believe the task force commander is also on the Roosevelt.  This is an odd story.  The bottom line though is you can't broadcast to the world that a nuclear powered aircraft carrier is having problems.

It probably wasn't a good idea to grant shore leave when the carrier was in Vietnam.  The crew started to get sick about 14 days after departing Vietnam.  Now, whether the captain or Washington made the call about shore leave in Vietnam is unknown.  I am not buying the claim that the captain should not have written the letter.  Anybody that is commander of a ship like the TR is on a fast track to admiral.  Crozier had to know what the ramifications of his letter might be.  Still, he sent it.  He put the welfare of his sailors above his own career.  

4 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

I believe the task force commander is also on the Roosevelt.  This is an odd story.  The bottom line though is you can't broadcast to the world that a nuclear powered aircraft carrier is having problems.

He sent the email up the chain of command but obviously too broadly. I'm sure they'll be looking for the leaker.

Found a different article. There was a Rear Admiral aboard.

Modly made clear he did not fault Crozier for wanting to protect his crew, but took issue with how he did not express his concerns with his immediate supervisor, the rear admiral aboard the ship who was in charge of the Roosevelt carrier strike group.

99% of the time if you do the correct moral or ethical action in the military you're going to be fine. It sucks that he was burned for political reasons, and fired for the same. Still, as @Joe from WY posted, he did the right thing, and I for one support him.

16 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

99% of the time if you do the correct moral or ethical action in the military you're going to be fine. It sucks that he was burned for political reasons, and fired for the same. Still, as @Joe from WY posted, he did the right thing, and I for one support him.

He was dismissed for going outside the chain of command, not politics.

6 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

At O-6 and above politics is a factor.  My random guess is he brought the before the admiral, but the admiral didn't respond, probably because there is some sort of pressure on him for DOD/DC.  When the admiral showed he wasn't going to address it, the Captain did what he did.

He knew he was going to get roasted for it.  He followed his ethics, he has a clear conscience and a ticket to a land job. 

3 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

At O-6 and above politics is a factor.  My random guess is he brought the before the admiral, but the admiral didn't respond, probably because there is some sort of pressure on him for DOD/DC.  When the admiral showed he wasn't going to address it, the Captain did what he did.

He knew he was going to get roasted for it.  He followed his ethics, he has a clear conscience and a ticket to a land job. 

That may be what happened.  I don't know.  I do know that going outside the chain of command is a huge no no.  This is the first time in 50 years we don't have a forward deployed carrier group in the Pacific.  Thanks to the CO, the Chinese don't even have to guess at what is going on.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

He sent the email up the chain of command but obviously too broadly. I'm sure they'll be looking for the leaker.

Found a different article. There was a Rear Admiral aboard.

Modly made clear he did not fault Crozier for wanting to protect his crew, but took issue with how he did not express his concerns with his immediate supervisor, the rear admiral aboard the ship who was in charge of the Roosevelt carrier strike group.

Okay but if the Rear Admiral was on board, I’m pretty sure the Captain spoke to him and was rebuffed.   Why write a letter if your superior is acting on a request.   

1 hour ago, BYUcougfan said:

That may be what happened.  I don't know.  I do know that going outside the chain of command is a huge no no.  This is the first time in 50 years we don't have a forward deployed carrier group in the Pacific.  Thanks to the CO, the Chinese don't even have to guess at what is going on.

We don’t know the full story, and you can bet your ass the SecNav isn’t going to admit he was told about the situation and refused to do anything about it. The Skipper did right by his crew, the Navy, and his country. A ship full of sick sailors doesn’t do anyone any good. I’d follow this guy through Hell.

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

Seems like if Trump is going to step into the chain of command it ought to be for this guy.   Got to love a manager/superior officer who actually cares for his people.   

Sailors will go to war for this guy.   

5 minutes ago, sean327 said:

We don’t know the full story, and you can bet your ass the SecNav isn’t going to admit he was told about the situation and refused to do anything about it. The Skipper did right by his crew, the Navy, and his country. A ship full of sick sailors doesn’t do anyone any good. I’d follow this guy through Hell.

The next president (not named Trump) voted in office on 2020 should appoint Capt. Crozier as Secretary of the Navy.  

If someone emulates this behavior in the Trump admin they are a leaker, liar, and a coward. Trump may even brand you with a nickname if you’re lucky.

If someone does this in the Navy = hero? I’m guessing there’s more to the story. If true this guy should be praised. Hard thing to do. 

2 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

Look, going outside the chain of command isn't the first option, and like has been espoused earlier in the thread, it's a pretty good bet that isn't what happened. However, going outside the chain of command isn't as big of a deal as you're making it out to be, and happens from time to time. He may have leaked the info himself if there was no response from his superiors, which in case he should have been shit canned (was still the right thing to do). However, just pushing things harder isn't reason to be fired - he was fired because someone was embarrassed. 

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

TL;DRFA & DC

An O-6/Captain can be a Commanding Officer

A C.O. doesn't have to be an 0-6

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif