Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

Projected O-line for Boise State for next fall

12 hours ago, ClevelandBrown said:

I trust you know more than I do, I'm just worried about the two option offenses we open up with before we battle a southern powerhouse who wants revenge. We may have a good or great defense but that's as rough a schedule as it gets for any defensive unit in the country the first 3 weeks.

I was not a fan when they scheduled an option team OOC. But the schedule worked out as well as you could hope. They get as much time as they want in fall camp to work on the opener and then follow that up with another option team. They're going to spend close to a month straight working on defending the option. 

12 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Who were the five Oline starters when Rypien was a junior? 

Basically the same line that just left... only two years younger with almost no experience. FR Ezra Cleveland, SO Garrett Larson, SO John Molchon, SO Eric Quevedo, and returning starter Mason Hampton. JR Andres Perciado got a start in there too as they jumbled around the line to get production. Archie Lewis was a returning starter but he missed the beginning of the season with an injury. 

5 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Basically the same line that just left... only two years younger with almost no experience. FR Ezra Cleveland, SO Garrett Larson, SO John Molchon, SO Eric Quevedo, and returning starter Mason Hampton. JR Andres Perciado got a start in there too as they jumbled around the line to get production. Archie Lewis was a returning starter but he missed the beginning of the season with an injury. 

Isn’t this the same crew most of us were complaining about this past season? If we are staking our hope on our new Oline trying to live up to our last Oline we are in big trouble next year. 

The thing that puzzles me about the Boise State O-line is WHY is a certain Idaho native Boise State O-lineman still on scholarship?   I won't refer to him by name but he's been on scholarship at Boise State for FOUR years and in all that time he has played in exactly ONE game (last fall).   The O-line coach  for Boise State discusses the likely starters and other probable players on Boise State's O-line for next fall and he isn't mentioned AT ALL.  As near as I can recall I don't think he has EVER been in ANY two-deep depth charts for Boise State in FOUR YEARS.  Yet he is STILL on scholarship at Boise State.  

This is what his career at Boise State looks like on his bio page on BroncoSports.com:

RS JUNIOR (2019): Appeared in one game, making his collegiate debut against Portland State (Sept. 14).

RS SOPHOMORE (2018): Did not see action.

RS FRESHMAN (2017): Did not see action.

FRESHMAN (2016): Redshirted the season.

Call me whatever you want but to me that's just a total waste of a scholarship.  And he was a highly touted recruit coming out of H.S.   So much so that some Boise State fans back then (unrealistically) projected him to be a starter as a True Freshman.

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Isn’t this the same crew most of us were complaining about this past season? If we are staking our hope on our new Oline trying to live up to our last Oline we are in big trouble next year. 

You mean the line that just won the league... again? That's beside the point anyway. You said this will be the most inexperienced OL since Boise went to D1. It clearly is not and I showed that. And that OL that you're betching and moaning about was an OT loss away from back to back to back MW Championships.

They'll have growing pains, but they'll be fine. That OL in 2017 was the worst line I can remember... and they still won 11 games and the league. You Boise fans that are calling for the worst record in 20 years because of the OL are bat shet crazy. I see these posts every fecking year. You gloom and doomers are wrong every year. 

5 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

The thing that puzzles me about the Boise State O-line is WHY is a certain Idaho native Boise State O-lineman still on scholarship?   I won't refer to him by name but he's been on scholarship at Boise State for FOUR years and in all that time he has played in exactly ONE game (last fall).   The O-line coach  for Boise State discusses the likely starters and other probable players on Boise State's O-line for next fall and he isn't mentioned AT ALL.  As near as I can recall I don't think he has EVER been in ANY two-deep depth charts for Boise State in FOUR YEARS.  Yet he is STILL on scholarship at Boise State.  

This is what his career at Boise State looks like on his bio page on BroncoSports.com:

RS JUNIOR (2019): Appeared in one game, making his collegiate debut against Portland State (Sept. 14).

RS SOPHOMORE (2018): Did not see action.

RS FRESHMAN (2017): Did not see action.

FRESHMAN (2016): Redshirted the season.

Call me whatever you want but to me that's just a total waste of a scholarship.  And he was a highly touted recruit coming out of H.S.   So much so that some Boise State fans back then (unrealistically) projected him to be a starter as a True Freshman.

Did you just start watching college sports? It is a monumentally HORRIBLE practice to take kids off scholarship because they didn't develop like you'd hoped. Good luck signing anyone in the future when you have a reputation for kicking off kids that underperform. Besides, Kole Bailey was the 3rd highest rated recruit in that class and the 13th highest rated recruit in the MW. He wasn't some local shlub that was thrown a bone. Sometimes recruits don't pan out. It happens every year. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

You mean the line that just won the league... again? That's beside the point anyway. You said this will be the most inexperienced OL since Boise went to D1. It clearly is not and I showed that. And that OL that you're betching and moaning about was an OT loss away from back to back to back MW Championships.

They'll have growing pains, but they'll be fine. That OL in 2017 was the worst line I can remember... and they still won 11 games and the league. You Boise fans that are calling for the worst record in 20 years because of the OL are bat shet crazy. I see these posts every fecking year. You gloom and doomers are wrong every year. 

It stems from no confidence in the O-line coach.  The last few years we have had one to two players, depending on the weak, that compromised the integrity of the O-line.  Sometimes due to injury, sometimes because the player was just not that good and was overwhelmed when the opposing defense targeted him.  We know who those players were (Center and LG last year, RT the year prior).  This group is deeper and has talent to spare.  I do not think we see the weak link game in and game out.  This group is huge and athletic.  With our best depth maybe ever.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It stems from no confidence in the O-line coach.  The last few years we have had one to two players, depending on the weak, that compromised the integrity of the O-line.  Sometimes due to injury, sometimes because the player was just not that good and was overwhelmed when the opposing defense targeted him.  We know who those players were (Center and LG last year, RT the year prior).  This group is deeper and has talent to spare.  I do not think we see the weak link game in and game out.  This group is huge and athletic.  With our best depth maybe ever.

If this group is so great why wasn’t at least one of them playing ahead of our RG last year? 

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I’ve watched a lot of college football. Games are still won in the trenches. And our trenches are woefully inexperienced next year. How can you expect cohesion, which is very important for the Oline, to exist with so many new guys starting? SDSU kicked butt when Rashard Penny was a senior. When he graduated a lot of his Oline graduated with him. The following year the SDSU run game ground to a halt and is still floundering. If their defense wasn’t so good they would have been a sub 0.500 team the last two years. 

4 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

The thing that puzzles me about the Boise State O-line is WHY is a certain Idaho native Boise State O-lineman still on scholarship?

Call me whatever you want but to me that's just a total waste of a scholarship. 

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/boise-state-football/article234091302.html

Read this, asshole (you said to call you what I want)!

On 4/3/2020 at 4:38 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Sean Chambers was 6.3 ypc.and the key to making the OL look good. After he got hurt the team average went down to about 3.5 ypc.

They gave up a sack every 11 pass attempts, as opposed to Boise's once every 17 .

When Abojei got hurt, it severely impacted the line overall as well.  

Didn't feel it needed it's own thread, but the Boise DL coach (and co-DC) was interviewed on local radio today. Since that is the other area of concern I'll give his thoughts. Forewarning, he is a very energetic and positive guy, so there is a lot of high praise and coach speak. 

The guys that impressed him in the short amount of Spring ball:
-DT, Scott Matlock. Not a big surprise. He got a lot of run last year, as well... and then didn't get much playing time behind 6th year SR David Moa. But they are expecting big things from him again and he should get the playing time to show it now. 
-DT Jackson Cravens. The Utah transfer who sat out last year. He's 295 pounds and SD couldn't believe how explosive and quick he was for a guy that size. He is going to be very productive for Boise.
-STUD, Demitri Washington. Incredibly high on him. Had 4.5 sack as a FR playing behind an AA in Curtis Weaver. SD says that at some point (maybe not this year), he will be considered one of the best players on the west coast. He also said that he will be playing both STUD and DE. I think that is absolutely huge, as Boise doesn't return a single tackle at the DE position. They have a ton of depth at the STUD with Sam Whitney getting granted a 6th year for the former starter (starter ahead of both Jabril Frazier and Curtis Weaver). 
-Honorable Mention, NT Scale Igeihon. He technically didn't play in Spring Ball because of a small injury, but SD is really high on Scale. He said he will be one of the best players in the MW next year. Boise fans have been waiting for him to get his chance at more playing time after playing behind a veteran DL his first two years. He's a future NFL draft pick. 

57 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Didn't feel it needed it's own thread, but the Boise DL coach (and co-DC) was interviewed on local radio today. Since that is the other area of concern I'll give his thoughts. Forewarning, he is a very energetic and positive guy, so there is a lot of high praise and coach speak. 

The guys that impressed him in the short amount of Spring ball:
-DT, Scott Matlock. Not a big surprise. He got a lot of run last year, as well... and then didn't get much playing time behind 6th year SR David Moa. But they are expecting big things from him again and he should get the playing time to show it now. 
-DT Jackson Cravens. The Utah transfer who sat out last year. He's 295 pounds and SD couldn't believe how explosive and quick he was for a guy that size. He is going to be very productive for Boise.
-STUD, Demitri Washington. Incredibly high on him. Had 4.5 sack as a FR playing behind an AA in Curtis Weaver. SD says that at some point (maybe not this year), he will be considered one of the best players on the west coast. He also said that he will be playing both STUD and DE. I think that is absolutely huge, as Boise doesn't return a single tackle at the DE position. They have a ton of depth at the STUD with Sam Whitney getting granted a 6th year for the former starter (starter ahead of both Jabril Frazier and Curtis Weaver). 
-Honorable Mention, NT Scale Igeihon. He technically didn't play in Spring Ball because of a small injury, but SD is really high on Scale. He said he will be one of the best players in the MW next year. Boise fans have been waiting for him to get his chance at more playing time after playing behind a veteran DL his first two years. He's a future NFL draft pick. 

I have less concerns about the DLine than I do with the Oline. I think the starting Dline is going to be solid. However, I do worry about depth. We had more depth last year. Pass rush probably won’t be as good, but I think we will be good against the run.

I also think our LB corp will be much improved. Noa will be back and we add Booker Brown, the NC State transfer and Casey Cline to the group. The NCSU transfer had some good stats in the ACC. I’m really excited to see Cline play. His high school video was very impressive. Very athletic like LVE. I think this kid is eventually going to be an all MWC LB 

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I have less concerns about the DLine than I do with the Oline. I think the starting Dline is going to be solid. However, I do worry about depth. We had more depth last year. Pass rush probably won’t be as good, but I think we will be good against the run.

I also think our LB corp will be much improved. Noa will be back and we add Booker Brown, the NC State transfer and Casey Cline to the group. The NCSU transfer had some good stats in the ACC. I’m really excited to see Cline play. His high school video was very impressive. Very athletic like LVE. I think this kid is eventually going to be an all MWC LB 

Yeah, I agree with all of this. The DE is a concern. Back 7 is set. LB depth was a concern last year, but won't be this year. Injuries on the DL are the biggest concern. I expect less production getting to the QB, but that is an area where they are always near the top in the conference, so less production should still be decent production.

17 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, I agree with all of this. The DE is a concern. Back 7 is set. LB depth was a concern last year, but won't be this year. Injuries on the DL are the biggest concern. I expect less production getting to the QB, but that is an area where they are always near the top in the conference, so less production should still be decent production.

The only position that will see less pass rush is stud.  Every othet position on the line is an upgrade is pass rush.  And Dimitri is a double digit sack guy as a starter.

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The only position that will see less pass rush is stud.  Every othet position on the line is an upgrade is pass rush.  And Dimitri is a double digit sack guy as a starter.

I don't know about DE. Putting Dimitri over there sometimes will help, but no one else recorded a D1 stat over on that side. 

On 4/4/2020 at 12:24 PM, kingpotato said:

Did you just start watching college sports? It is a monumentally HORRIBLE practice to take kids off scholarship because they didn't develop like you'd hoped. Good luck signing anyone in the future when you have a reputation for kicking off kids that underperform. Besides, Kole Bailey was the 3rd highest rated recruit in that class and the 13th highest rated recruit in the MW. He wasn't some local shlub that was thrown a bone. Sometimes recruits don't pan out. It happens every year. 

Did you just crawl out from under a rock?  Players are taken off of scholarship on EVERY football team EVERY year.   Boise State has at LEAST three such players EVERY year.   Good lord - if you can't comprehend that then there is seriously no point in hearing anything you have to say ever again.  You are the very definition of CLUELESS.  Maybe you should change your name here to King Clueless.  It would at least be much more accurate.

1 hour ago, Bronco7454 said:

Did you just crawl out from under a rock?  Players are taken off of scholarship on EVERY football team EVERY year.   Boise State has at LEAST three such players EVERY year.   Good lord - if you can't comprehend that then there is seriously no point in hearing anything you have to say ever again.  You are the very definition of CLUELESS.  Maybe you should change your name here to King Clueless.  It would at least be much more accurate.

Name them. How about three names for each of the last three years... since it happens every year. I can only think of one. Will Heffner who was a walk on who was put on a one year conditional scholarship. It wasn't renewed and even though it was explained when he was put on scholarship, it was still a big deal with multiple articles written about it and Boise had a little egg on their face.