Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

Projected O-line for Boise State for next fall

According to Boise State's offensive line coach (Brad Bedell) in his interview this week - as interpreted by Tom Scott and ME.  Returning Starters in BOLD print

LT    Ojukwu, John - RS Junior - 6-6 - 311 lbs - 11 games - 11 Starts at RT last fall
OT    Crabtree, Nick     - RS Senior -  6-7 - 307 lbs - 14 games - 0 Starts
OT    Dooley, Ben - RS Freshman - 6-5 - 310 lbs - 0 games - 0 Starts
OT    Golden, Jacob - RS Freshman - 6-5 - 300 lbs - 0 games - 0 Starts

LG     Curran, Garrett - RS Sophomore - 6-5 - 305 lbs - 11 games - 1 Start last fall
OG     Holliday, Dallas - RS Sophomore -  6-3 - 305 lbs - 12 games - 0 Starts

C     Holomalia-Gonzalez, Kekaniokoa - RS Sophomore - 6-2 - 305 lbs - 2 games - 1 Start at LG last fall
C    Harrington, Donte - RS Senior -6-2 - 300 lbs - 0 games - 0 Starts - He played in 6 games and Started 4 games in 2018 - Missed all of 2019 season due to injury

RG    Stetz, Jake - RS Senior - 6-2- 301 lbs -  14 games - 5 Starts at OG last fall
RG    Harrington, Donte - RS Senior -6-2 - 300 lbs - 0 games - 0 Starts - He played in 6 games and Started 4 games in 2018 - Missed all of 2019 season due to injury

RT    Crabtree, Nick     - RS Senior -  6-7 - 307 lbs - 14 games - 0 Starts OR Dooley, Ben - RS Freshman - 6-5 - 310 lbs - 0 games - 0 Starts

This has got to be one of the least experienced Olines since Boise State went D-1. Very scary.  Bachmeier better learn to use the short passing game and dump offs. If he holds the ball like last year he won’t make it past game three. 

Projected O-line all fb squads next year:

RT -

RG -

C

LG -

LT -

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

This has got to be one of the least experienced Olines since Boise State went D-1. Very scary.  Bachmeier better learn to use the short passing game and dump offs. If he holds the ball like last year he won’t make it past game three. 

Not true. Three years ago (Brett's JR year), they started the season with only one returning starter and three of the new starters hadn't played a down of college football. They did struggle early, but that team did go on to win the MW. It certainly is a question mark, but at least they do have some starting experience at every position. That OL a few years was almost all FR and SO. This OL will likely have two rsSRs (Harrington and Stetz) starting along with a rsJR (Ojukwu). So, my point is that they have definitely returned less experience and were still successful. 

2 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

According to Boise State's offensive line coach (Brad Bedell) in his interview this week - as interpreted by Tom Scott and ME.  Returning Starters in BOLD print

LT    Ojukwu, John - RS Junior - 6-6 - 311 lbs - 11 games - 11 Starts at RT last fall
OT    Crabtree, Nick     - RS Senior -  6-7 - 307 lbs - 14 games - 0 Starts
OT    Dooley, Ben - RS Freshman - 6-5 - 310 lbs - 0 games - 0 Starts

LG     Curran, Garrett - RS Sophomore - 6-5 - 305 lbs - 11 games - 1 Start last fall
OG     Holliday, Dallas - RS Sophomore -  6-3 - 305 lbs - 12 games - 0 Starts

C     Holomalia-Gonzalez, Kekaniokoa - RS Sophomore - 6-2 - 305 lbs - 2 games - 1 Start at LG last fall
C    Harrington, Donte - RS Senior -6-2 - 300 lbs - 0 games - 0 Starts - He played in 6 games and Started 4 games in 2018 - Missed all of 2019 season due to injury

RG    Stetz, Jake - RS Senior - 6-2- 301 lbs -  14 games - 5 Starts at OG last fall
RG    Harrington, Donte - RS Senior -6-2 - 300 lbs - 0 games - 0 Starts - He played in 6 games and Started 4 games in 2018 - Missed all of 2019 season due to injury

RT    Crabtree, Nick     - RS Senior -  6-7 - 307 lbs - 14 games - 0 Starts OR Dooley, Ben - RS Freshman - 6-5 - 310 lbs - 0 games - 0 Starts

Braydin Shipp returns from his mission, as well.

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

How returning production in four offensive stats correlates with changes in Offensive S&P+ ratings:

Returning experience on the offensive line doesn’t have nearly the statistical impact that we expect. But with more data in the bank — and a new set of tweaks to S&P+ that I’ve been unveiling at Football Study Hall — we can see there’s a little correlation.

The higher the number, the more likely returning production in these areas is to coincide with strong offense:

• Receiving yards correlation: 0.324
  • Passing yards correlation: 0.234
  • Rushing yards correlation: 0.168
  • Offensive line starts correlation: 0.153

With more data, the offensive line correlations have begun to grow stronger, which makes sense, but the conclusion remains: continuity in the passing game matters a hell of a lot, and continuity in the run game doesn’t have as strong an impact.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/9/4/9254347/a-better-way-to-measure-returning-experience

OL Starts don't matter as much as thought.  Boise will have the best OL in the league.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

:blink:

Bold 

It is a very talented, large and athletic group.  For example I had heard Larsen was the third best center on the team.  He kept his starting position due to Harrington being injured and Gonzalez being hampered the year prior slowing development.  Larsen and Q were both toss ups at their respective positions, getting the nod due to seniority.  Another year of strength work with the boys and I expect Stetz, Harrington, Curran, Gonzalez and Holliday to make up a combination that will be our best interior lineup in a decade.  Those guys are mean, nasty hombres.  They all have a higher ceiling than the interior guys they are replacing.  At tackle Ezra was playing hobbled for mos5 the year.  Even a hobbled Cleavland was dominant so I expect some drop off.  But there were games you could see moving laterally was hurting and hampering him.  Molchon was a good player but Curran and Holliday both have higher upside.  

This is a very deep and talented bunch.

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

:blink:

Bold 

If you allow run-only teams like AFA/Wyo/SDSU in the conversation than maybe not, but all around?  I think Boise will be the best.

Also don't think we're done recruiting.  Could be a surprise grad-transfer.

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

If you allow run-only teams like AFA/Wyo/SDSU in the conversation than maybe not, but all around?  I think Boise will be the best.

Also don't think we're done recruiting.  Could be a surprise grad-transfer.

IDK, Wyoming returning all 5 starters from a team that averaged almost 5 ypc might have something to say about that. And they don't always have a high ypc. Two years ago they were last in the league in that category. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they brought in a grad transfer. I'm also hoping Riden Leong can make an impact. He has a huge frame. Problem is, Boise seems to always whiff at the OL when it comes to JC guys. Klayton Adams was a good one 15 years ago. Has there been any good ones since then? 

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It is a very talented, large and athletic group.  For example I had heard Larsen was the third best center on the team.  He kept his starting position due to Harrington being injured and Gonzalez being hampered the year prior slowing development.  Larsen and Q were both toss ups at their respective positions, getting the nod due to seniority.  Another year of strength work with the boys and I expect Stetz, Harrington, Curran, Gonzalez and Holliday to make up a combination that will be our best interior lineup in a decade.  Those guys are mean, nasty hombres.  They all have a higher ceiling than the interior guys they are replacing.  At tackle Ezra was playing hobbled for mos5 the year.  Even a hobbled Cleavland was dominant so I expect some drop off.  But there were games you could see moving laterally was hurting and hampering him.  Molchon was a good player but Curran and Holliday both have higher upside.  

This is a very deep and talented bunch.

Yeah, I think they'll eventually be a decent group. Problem is, the OL has started slow every year since Bedell arrived. I'm guessing that will probably happen again this year. 

4 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

IDK, Wyoming returning all 5 starters from a team that averaged almost 5 ypc might have something to say about that. And they don't always have a high ypc. Two years ago they were last in the league in that category.

Sean Chambers was 6.3 ypc.and the key to making the OL look good. After he got hurt the team average went down to about 3.5 ypc.

They gave up a sack every 11 pass attempts, as opposed to Boise's once every 17 .

6 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Not true. Three years ago (Brett's JR year), they started the season with only one returning starter and three of the new starters hadn't played a down of college football. They did struggle early, but that team did go on to win the MW. It certainly is a question mark, but at least they do have some starting experience at every position. That OL a few years was almost all FR and SO. This OL will likely have two rsSRs (Harrington and Stetz) starting along with a rsJR (Ojukwu). So, my point is that they have definitely returned less experience and were still successful. 

I hope you're right but that's anecdotal and obviously a different squad. I'm more worried about our defense getting through the first few weeks without being decimated with injury.

But I don't think this season will happen anyhow.

I think, therefore I'm.

9 hours ago, kingpotato said:

That doesn’t sound right. Who were the five starters? If they are the same guys that started this year, they didn’t make much progress, other than Cleveland. 

9 hours ago, Ibanez said:

And we are favored over Florida State and BYU. Yeah, I don't think so. We are looking at 8-4 and a second place finish behind Wyoming in the Mountain.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic, but I’m seeing the same thing as you. 

4 hours ago, ClevelandBrown said:

I hope you're right but that's anecdotal and obviously a different squad. I'm more worried about our defense getting through the first few weeks without being decimated with injury.

But I don't think this season will happen anyhow.

It's possible it won't happen. 

The back 7 looks rock solid. DL is obviously a concern and will likely take a step back. I like the starting DL outside of the DE position. STUD position has a ton of depth, but yeah, the depth at the other positions could be in trouble if they have injuries there. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

That doesn’t sound right. Who were the five starters? If they are the same guys that started this year, they didn’t make much progress, other than Cleveland. 

I don't understand what you are asking. Could you rephrase that? 

45 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

It's possible it won't happen. 

The back 7 looks rock solid. DL is obviously a concern and will likely take a step back. I like the starting DL outside of the DE position. STUD position has a ton of depth, but yeah, the depth at the other positions could be in trouble if they have injuries there. 

I trust you know more than I do, I'm just worried about the two option offenses we open up with before we battle a southern powerhouse who wants revenge. We may have a good or great defense but that's as rough a schedule as it gets for any defensive unit in the country the first 3 weeks.

I think, therefore I'm.