Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I hear a WOOSH?

Highest revenue college football teams FY 2018

3 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

A2D86A8E-D354-4FD0-92C0-CF97C44A8444.png.44b547b3f112659197124a97fcf0b30b.png

MW is well represented in the top 15 list...good to see Wyoming hanging in there as well.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see them move up in the next list with the success of last season.  Surprised by CSU, guess it partially explains why they come up on some people’s short lists in realignment talk.

Actually, CSU making that much shows how pathetic they are that they can’t accomplish anything when they have plenty enough money to do it. 

kat.jpg

11 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Actually, CSU making that much shows how pathetic they are that they can’t accomplish anything when they have plenty enough money to do it. 

Yeah I can see that, but it also could show upside.  If they can draw this kind of revenue when down, what can they do when up? Get the right AD in there and it could change their prospects overnight.

11 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

A lot of that has to do with all of the presold high end seating of the new stadium. They also have a massive debt service because of it. They aren't pocketing all of that... in fact probably not much of it. 

7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

A lot of that has to do with all of the presold high end seating of the new stadium. They also have a massive debt service because of it. They aren't pocketing all of that... in fact probably not much of it. 

So do you think it’s a temporary jump in revenue?  Typically more revenue =more debt.  I don’t think that’s a bad thing in a vacuum.  

24 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

When the debt is paid off then the high end seating revenue input can be spent on anything they want instead of debt service. The only money of value is that which can be used to service the program directly.

It'll be a very, very long time until the debt is paid off.  I agree that a huge part of the revenue is stadium related, but there's no way to know exactly how much or from which sources.  College athletic departments tend to obfuscate their budgets a bit.  The stadium debt was always intended to be an investment more than a liability.  While we're holding our own right now, we really need that investment to start paying off.  Anybody with a TV set can see that we've made a hell of a lot more money on opening day than in those final games of every lost season since Canvas opened.  There's cautious optimism that the new staff will correct that.  We can fill Canvas if we're a mere 6-5 going into the final home game, regardless of weather.  4-7 with an 8PM start and a snowstorm will always result in about 15K and cost us more than we make just opening the gates.

5 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

So do you think it’s a temporary jump in revenue?  Typically more revenue =more debt.  I don’t think that’s a bad thing in a vacuum.  

It's a good long term investment, but the financial spoils won't be realized for years. They do get the facilities benefits immediately. They did the right thing.