Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffkills

Will We Have CFB This Year?

Due to our Current State of Emergency, will we have CFB in 2020??  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Will we have CFB in 2020??

• Yes - Praise the Lord..
    • No - God help us...

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I mean you guys will be far less talented than Boise but with some luck you could win 20 games.

Not even close.  I wouldn’t brag about talent bc Boise State will never field a roster like what Dave Rice could.

On 4/2/2020 at 2:43 PM, Headbutt said:

Did you read that an unnamed AD wants to cancel the season in the fall, and play it in the spring?  As crazy as that sounds, it might be a possibility.  Logistical issues for sure, but might be an option.

Well if I am not mistaken unless there is a vaccine or cure we might not have a year of sports.

Here we are in Spring and we are dealing with this virus. I don’t think next year will be different ..

I’m prepared for there to be no college football. Campuses are likely to remain shut down, and few schools if any have the means to survive a season with no gate revenue.

The nfl is a different animal. Teams could conceivably perform daily testing, travel on sterilized busses, and play in empty stadiums so long as the tv revenue keeps rolling in. Nfl teams are wealthy enterprises that could survive a year of being less profitable. 

If we're smart we can do mass testing (like a million or so tests per day) and just lockdown specific areas of the country while everyone else is normalish at a certain point. That'd lead to a semi-normal college football season though select individual games may still not be held.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

According to the minions on "NancyMesa" no, hence always safe to take the opposite of that boards opinion for reality.

14 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Not even close.  I wouldn’t brag about talent bc Boise State will never field a roster like what Dave Rice could.

To be fair not many MW teams could put a team out there like Davey could.   Rice was a solid recruiter and a good coach.  Administration got in his way.   But we have been down this path already.  I like the new ball coach.  Thought Menzies was a disaster  

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Some are discussing potentially moving the football season to spring of 2021. Why not, although it would run up against basketball and baseball. 

Could be done, but far from ideal.

"Spring camp" could easily be moved till fall, but that month before the opener (February) would be a son-of-a-bitch in the Rockies as well as the Northeast.  I'd hate to have a zero week game.  The March 6th opener in Laramie would make November look like a sauna.

I can only see two positives to this plan.  1. It beats not playing the season at all.  2. Theoretically, bowl season would end about late June and we'd only have to deal with about a 60 day off-season.

So many logistical issues with athletic departments, scholarships, bowl games, rescheduling venues, it would be a nightmare.  But...see #1 above.

18 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I like this idea best.

I like a 9/5/20 opener the best.

That's looking pretty grim, but not ruled out just yet.

No chance of college football this coming fall. 

Spring 2021?  That is interesting.  That might be doable as that is a year away.  But talk about a crammed TV schedule.  College football, college basketball, NBA, NHL, MLB.

41 minutes ago, namssa said:

Spring 2021?  That is interesting.  That might be doable as that is a year away.  But talk about a crammed TV schedule.  College football, college basketball, NBA, NHL, MLB.

After doing without sports for a year we would be entitled to binge watch. 

15 hours ago, namssa said:

We will have college football this fall.  Everything will be open by the first Monday in June at the latest.  The cure is becoming worse than the illness.

Doom and Gloom me: No season for the next 2 to 3 years. CV/19 becomes a seasonal thing like the flu. Vaccine rolls out in about 18 months.

Optimist in me: Yes to football but only half a season. A miracle drug will be found to treat (not cure) this thing with-in a couple months.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

20 hours ago, namssa said:

Could you conceivably switch football and basketball seasons?

The problem with football is that gathering of 30k people might be too much.  But if things are starting to level off/spike, smaller gatherings would probably be ok.  You could still play basketball in mostly empty arenas (say no more than 500 people) and that's still a made for TV sport anyway--so you have the NCAA tourney in December in front of an emptier arena.

21 hours ago, namssa said:

Yeah, I'm leaning that way but not waiting until spring.

1. Start in the dead of winter, say immediately after the first of the year, and we will not only have full drive-up testing, COVID-19 will be largely dormant. Play just one OOC "warm-up" game and then 9 conference games with zero bye weeks and then one Saturday afternoon of conference title games followed by a long weekend of bowl games and then two weekends of playoffs with no time in between and the entire season other than the title game could be played before the 2021 MLB season begins.

2. Why would they do that? Two reasons. One, because by the time it started, fans would be starved for college football and therefore more willing to sit out in the cold for five home games than would otherwise be the case. And two, money. Not only will the conferences lose a bunch if they don't play, the G5s will be desperate to recoup some of the revenue lost from no 2020 NCAA hoops tournament and can they actually afford to fund football player scholarships too without the guys playing?

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, Warbow said:

Doom and Gloom me: No season for the next 2 to 3 years. CV/19 becomes a seasonal thing like the flu. Vaccine rolls out in about 18 months.

Optimist in me: Yes to football but only half a season. A miracle drug will be found to treat (not cure) this thing with-in a couple months.

I think spring football is more realistic, which would be fine with me.  But it's too early to make those decisions.  The other option would be games with no fans in the fall...booooo.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 hours ago, Warbow said:

super doom and gloom: after we relax social distancing for the summer, covid roars back, infects 70% of americans, and kills a milly and a half. 

But in 2021 we have football again cause of herd immunity!!!!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.