Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NevadaFan

Sandoval UNR President

1 hour ago, Posturedoc said:

Please elaborate as to why you feel this way. 

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2011/feb/04/higher-education-officials-say-sandoval-budget-cut/

Using terms such as “doomsday” and “death sentence” to describe the impact of Gov. Brian Sandoval’s budget on higher education, the Board of Regents voted 13-0 Thursday to oppose the proposal.

At the same time, however, they directed university officials to prepare more detailed plans about how they would cope with such cuts.

Regent Ron Knecht, chairman of the finance committee, even raised the prospect of “financial exigency,” similar to a private company declaring bankruptcy. The action would allow the universities to break labor and other contracts while it reorganizes its finances.

Robert Blakely, another regent, discussed consolidating popular nursing programs.

The Legislature convenes Monday and has until June 7 to review and amend the Sandoval budget.

The prospect of academic bankruptcy and consolidating programs captured the severe tone of the presentation of university officials to the board.

Daniel Klaich, chancellor of the Nevada System of Higher Education, and other senior officials disclosed more details about the impact of the proposed budget. “Tuition (increases) cannot fill this hole. It’s too large,” he said.

UNLV President Neal Smatresk said the school is “taking on water,” and his counterpart at UNR, President Milton Glick, said the campus would become a “Cal State Minus,” a reference to California state colleges without graduate programs.

Klaich said if the university system addressed the proposed $162 million in budget cuts with only layoffs, 1,850 faculty and staff would lose their jobs.

To cover it with a tuition increase — Sandoval suggests giving schools more flexibility to raise fees — the cost would be several thousand dollars per student over two years, he said.

Tuition for a typical UNLV graduate program, for example, would jump from $6,574 to $10,744, an increase of more than 60 percent.

52 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

You quoted an article about Sandoval that included Milton Glick — who was President at UNR in 2011. He died that same year. How about you find one after Sandoval helped guide Nevada out of the Great Recession?

Better yet, wait until Sisolak has to start making these same decisions. 

1 hour ago, Rebels2k3 said:

This is from the nadir of the Great Recession. It doesn’t represent Sandoval’s position on higher ed funding in a reasonable economy. Look to the education budgets he signed in his last couple of legislative sessions, which earmarked greater increases for K-12 than for higher ed, but were still nice bumps by recent Nevada funding standards. Finally, budget proposals are starting points to negotiation, not end points. That proposal for higher ed was to get the attention of the U of N system about the need to continue cutting budgets in the face of a very slow recovery (not sure that had even started in Nevada at that point) in the worst hit state in the US.

You will get no argument from me that Nevada has historically done a poor job funding and prioritizing education, both primary and higher ed. That seems to be changing, though the current crisis is sure to set back any plans to continue that trajectory in the near term. Sandoval will do fine as a university president, probably much better than fine. 

2 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

This is from the nadir of the Great Recession. It doesn’t represent Sandoval’s position on higher ed funding in a reasonable economy. Look to the education budgets he signed in his last couple of legislative sessions, which earmarked greater increases for K-12 than for higher ed, but were still nice bumps by recent Nevada funding standards. Finally, budget proposals are starting points to negotiation, not end points. That proposal for higher ed was to get the attention of the U of N system about the need to continue cutting budgets in the face of a very slow recovery (not sure that had even started in Nevada at that point) in the worst hit state in the US.

You will get no argument from me that Nevada has historically done a poor job funding and prioritizing education, both primary and higher ed. That seems to be changing, though the current crisis is sure to set back any plans to continue that trajectory in the near term. Sandoval will do fine as a university president, probably much better than fine. 

And so it begins. 

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/sisolak-asks-state-agencies-to-prepare-for-up-to-687-million-in-budget-cuts

3 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

Oh what do you know? Psht. 

On 4/3/2020 at 3:10 PM, Posturedoc said:

I’m curious where the “$5-8 million for FB and BB” comes from if “the same booster money comes in.” Are we talking reallocation of money out of academic donations to athletics (won’t happen)? If not, how does “the same booster money” equate to $5-8 million more? 

While I’m certain Sandoval will be a friendlier president toward athletics than Johnson (not difficult), I would be very surprised if he arrived and quickly erased the AD’s debts while simultaneously substantially increasing the AD budget. That might be possible if he arrived with promises of large and enduring donations to athletics in excess of current donation levels while maintaining/increasing academic and facilities donations, but definitely not at their expense.

The above would probably be difficult enough to accomplish across two or three years of our formerly fairly rosy economic projections, but not with the current deteriorating economic forecast. Given the ugly funding reality (read: budget cuts) facing the next president, Sandoval would need every bit of the political savvy he has been deservedly credited with in this thread to pull that off. My expectations will be scaled back quite a bit. I hope he gets the job and surpasses my expectations. 

As usual, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Look at what our budget is now, and then look at what the MWC ave is and subtract the two. Even a Posterdick should be able to do that. Then semi-proportionally give every sport an increase from the extra revenue. And there’s your answer. That was my quick math of what it would be roughly, but only a hack like you would expect me to show my calculations and prove my numbers when I never claimed they would be perfect. When I have more time, I’ll take a closer look. What you need to do come up with a number yourself if you’re going to be a hack. Let’s see your numbers, stud. 🤠👍

kat.jpg

34 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

As usual, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Look at what our budget is now, and then look at what the MWC ave is and subtract the two. Even a Posterdick should be able to do that. Then semi-proportionally give every sport an increase from the extra revenue. And there’s your answer. That was my quick math of what it would be roughly, but only a hack like you would expect me to show my calculations and prove my numbers when I never claimed they would be perfect. When I have more time, I’ll take a closer look. What you need to do come up with a number yourself if you’re going to be a hack. Let’s see your numbers, stud. 🤠👍

Of ALL the people posting in the MWCBoard, Posture would be the only one of us to have an informed opinion of this situation! And yet you come in guns a blazing without the slightest clue, calling him names and just generally unaware. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Of ALL the people posting in the MWCBoard, Posture would be the only one of us to have an informed opinion of this situation! And yet you come in guns a blazing without the slightest clue, calling him names and just generally unaware. 

There are probably other forum members with informed opinions on this. Captain Mind Reader is not one of them. Your second sentence encapsulates his posting style since, I imagine, he logged onto the internets. He reminds us daily that you can’t fix willful stupidity. 

Posturedoc and I have butted heads over the years but he really does know what he is talking about here.

While I am a huge college sports fan I hope the new president, no matter who that might be, will be a tireless advocate for Academics/Research, fiscal responsibility, student housing, student life and community citizenship.

Sports plays a large role but there is a whole lot of things university presidents have to take on.  It is not an easy gig.  

6 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Your posts are consistently full of stupid but this rant is near top ten material. 

I do like this following claim though.

"When I have more time, I'll take a closer look."

Have you ever considered bookmarking statements like this so you...ummmm...don't forget?

I’m not sure why I am bothering to answer your post, because it will doubtlessly provoke from you yet another defensive post comprised of a many more words than necessary that don’t flow in a logical manner and don’t answer simple questions. Even so, I managed to tease out a few conclusions from your last word jumble.

1. You don’t know where all this new money will come from, you simply did a little subtraction, manufactured a number range that will get Nevada’s budget near the MWC average, and are certain it will quickly and annually drop from the sky if Sandoval becomes president. Plus, he’ll deliver a one-time gift of ~$4 million to bail out the AD debt (which seems the most likely occurrence in your fantasy funding scenario, although president Johnson in 2019 absorbed more than $8 million in historical AD debt, so I’m not sure another bail out is a practical expectation in the near term).

2. You assume budgets as usual in your projections. They won’t be usual because we’re headed for another recession. As with the budget cuts last decade, athletics is, IMO, likely to be hit harder than the rest of the university. Since Nevada is again very likely to be among the hardest hit states by the coming recession, it’s logical to assume university budgets will be also suffer more in comparison to those of our fellow MWC institutions, making the athletics money gap that much more difficult to bridge. Maybe athletics will be able to narrow that gap with fund raising, but that appears unlikely until the economy recovers.

48 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

I’m not sure why I am bothering to answer your post, because it will doubtlessly provoke from you yet another defensive post comprised of a many more words than necessary that don’t flow in a logical manner and don’t answer simple questions. Even so, I managed to tease out a few conclusions from your last word jumble.

1. You don’t know where all this new money will come from, you simply did a little subtraction, manufactured a number range that will get Nevada’s budget near the MWC average, and are certain it will quickly and annually drop from the sky if Sandoval becomes president. Plus, he’ll deliver a one-time gift of ~$4 million to bail out the AD debt (which seems the most likely occurrence in your fantasy funding scenario, although president Johnson in 2019 absorbed more than $8 million in historical AD debt, so I’m not sure another bail out is a practical expectation in the near term).

2. You assume budgets as usual in your projections. They won’t be usual because we’re headed for another recession. As with the budget cuts last decade, athletics is, IMO, likely to be hit harder than the rest of the university. Since Nevada is again very likely to be among the hardest hit states by the coming recession, it’s logical to assume university budgets will be also suffer more in comparison to those of our fellow MWC institutions, making the athletics money gap that much more difficult to bridge. Maybe athletics will be able to narrow that gap with fund raising, but that appears unlikely until the economy recovers.

How dare you use common sense, logic and an understanding of the time we're in!

It’s really cute to see you @Posturedoc and DickNation @PackNation, your texting buddy, support each other. You have Dick that thinks he’s a stud stalker with killer put downs that just decimate me, and then there’s you, with the elitist snob mentality where you think you’re more intelligent than everyone else. Not to mention you’re ridiculously judgmental about everything, including a lot of shit that no one cares about. And anyone that’s hardcore judgmental has to have some of that insecure high school mentality to overcompensate for, and you certainly do.

I’ll read your post later after I take care of some other things that rank higher in importance, such as sweeping the ant shit off my driveway.

kat.jpg

It’s really cute to see you @Posturedoc and DickNation @PackNation, your texting buddy, support each other. You have Dick that thinks he’s a stud stalker with killer put downs that just decimate me, and then there’s you, with the elitist snob mentality where you think you’re more intelligent than everyone else. Not to mention you’re ridiculously judgmental about everything, including a lot of shit that no one cares about. And anyone that’s hardcore judgmental has to have some of that insecure high school mentality to overcompensate for, and you certainly do.

I’ll read your post later after I take care of some other things that rank higher in importance, such as sweeping the ant shit off my driveway.

Gawd damn but you're soft.

Same old convert:

Write something stupid. Double down on stupid. Gets worked over. Respond with a Jr High level tantrum. Promises to respond later...when he has time. Disappears from thread.

Don't  ever change, cupcake.

On 4/1/2020 at 11:55 AM, mugtang said:

If I had to guess this is done already. 

@mugtang did you see this part: 

“Having accomplished my goals at MGM, I have decided to put my time, energy and public and private experience to work as an applicant to become the next president of the University of Nevada, Reno,

Anyone who calls your alma mater Univ o' Nevada-Reno HAS MY FULL SUPPORT!!!

Just now, GoState99755 said:

@mugtang did you see this part: 

“Having accomplished my goals at MGM, I have decided to put my time, energy and public and private experience to work as an applicant to become the next president of the University of Nevada, Reno,

Anyone who calls your alma mater Univ o' Nevada-Reno HAS MY FULL SUPPORT!!!

You’re dead to me. :P 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 4/5/2020 at 7:08 AM, Nevada Convert said:

11 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

It’s really cute to see you @Posturedoc and DickNation @PackNation, your texting buddy, support each other. You have Dick that thinks he’s a stud stalker with killer put downs that just decimate me, and then there’s you, with the elitist snob mentality where you think you’re more intelligent than everyone else. Not to mention you’re ridiculously judgmental about everything, including a lot of shit that no one cares about. And anyone that’s hardcore judgmental has to have some of that insecure high school mentality to overcompensate for, and you certainly do.

I don't think I've seen someone start a sentence with "And" in several months, at least.  Yet here we have @Nevada Convert showing off his command of the English language 2x in the same thread.

5 hours ago, PackNation said:

Gawd damn but you're soft.

Same old convert:

Write something stupid. Double down on stupid. Gets worked over. Respond with a Jr High level tantrum. Promises to respond later...when he has time. Disappears from thread.

Don't  ever change, cupcake.

Talk about soft, whenever I mention your wife, it’s not personal, and I don’t know a thing about her. And you know it’s meant in generic terms, and it’s never even been about me insulting the generic wife, anyway. But you still decided to cry about it out loud, get all emotional and cry to mug about it. “Convert Is hurting my feewings!!! Make him stop!” But it’s OK for you to talk about my family, especially when you make shit up about my actual sister, and not in generic reference. But I don’t care, I’m totally fine with it. I’m not a big softy pvssy crybaby like you are. 

By the way, you lliterally copy and paste your old posts, and then add/subtract a few words. Classic Dick.  🤪🤪😝😝🤣🤣😂👍

kat.jpg