Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akkula

Anti-Maskers

6 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Hell if I know. I posted an article that was contradictory to one of Halfman's theory. We get new info sometimes and it means what we thought we knew was wrong.  I thought for sure we'd have a spike from the protests myself but it looks like, for whatever reason, we're not finding evidence of that at this time. So be it. Let's be good little scientists and find out why.

I guess I was ranting more at the article than you. The public health establishment is trying itself Into pretzels trying to make sure they condemn people who break their recommended prohibitions on human contact, commerce and travel while also suggesting that it's ok to go to a protest. I'm fine with them saying its ok to protest, but they should say it's ok to go to a funeral too.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

40 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

A better read for what though?

It still doesn't support that the theory that the protests are causing the significant increases we're seeing. At best it says it's hard to separate the protests from the re openings, however the Washington study did just that through contact tracing. 

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

A better read for what though?

It still doesn't support that the theory that the protests are causing the significant increases we're seeing. At best it says it's hard to separate the protests from the re openings, however the Washington study did just that through contact tracing. 

The logic in it really shows how horrible the earlier article about the Washington events is.  I get it. You think everything every organization in the world has learned about COVID is somehow false.  Or...

"the protesters are generally young. And that means that many of them won't have symptoms, or will have symptoms that are mild enough that they don't go to a health care facility, so then [the cases wouldn’t be recorded]. The people who are being hospitalized and dying of COVID are elderly people and those with comorbidities. So the impact of the protests—or of any of these gatherings, whether it's Memorial Day weekend or just reopening—it might take a little while to reach the people who will show up at the hospital who are elderly and otherwise unhealthy populations."

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The logic in it really shows how horrible the earlier article about the Washington events is.  I get it. You think everything every organization in the world has learned about COVID is somehow false.  Or...

"the protesters are generally young. And that means that many of them won't have symptoms, or will have symptoms that are mild enough that they don't go to a health care facility, so then [the cases wouldn’t be recorded]. The people who are being hospitalized and dying of COVID are elderly people and those with comorbidities. So the impact of the protests—or of any of these gatherings, whether it's Memorial Day weekend or just reopening—it might take a little while to reach the people who will show up at the hospital who are elderly and otherwise unhealthy populations."

My only dog on this fight is for science. If additional information and contact tracing in the future shows the protests to have caused massive spiking, then so be it. But please do not assign false binary choices to me, just like blues always used to. 

5 hours ago, BYUcougfan said:

There is so much incredible harping on masks that I wonder what will happen when we are all wearing masks and the virus is still spreading.  Masks help, but the impact of them is overblown relative to the shrillness of the clarion call to masks.

We all aren’t going to wear masks, so we will never know how much everybody wearing a mask would have slowed down the spread. It will forever be a “what it?”.  

14 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

I feel like people are harping a mask now because they've given up on closing things down indefinitely.  So the masks are a compromise so to speak.

This is basically where I am at. I see people now are pulling out this, “well social distancing is REALLY what’s effective” talking point; and to that I say, yea. You’re right. But a large segment of the population doesn't want to comply with that, so can we just put on some damn masks when we are around people in public? If just wearing a mask and making NO OTHER changes to our lifestyles “only” saves a few thousand people... is that not worth it? 

4 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

This is basically where I am at. I see people now are pulling out this, “well social distancing is REALLY what’s effective” talking point; and to that I say, yea. You’re right. But a large segment of the population doesn't want to comply with that, so can we just put on some damn masks when we are around people in public? If just wearing a mask and making NO OTHER changes to our lifestyles “only” saves a few thousand people... is that not worth it? 

But masks are tyranny or something.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

23 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

I was actually curious if this happened with seat belts too and looks like it did:

https://www.businessinsider.com/when-americans-went-to-war-against-seat-belts-2020-5

We are just a hard society to change. Many people's first thoughts go to "tyranny"

I don't know if you smoke or not. I would equate wearing a mask in public to smoking in bars and restaurants. People were saying the same shit. My body government is taking my civil liberties away blah blah blah. All that hand wringing has gone away. 

I wonder what would  happen if smokers decided to say FU, if you're not going to wear masks then I'm lighting up in here?

2 minutes ago, rudolro said:

I don't know if you smoke or not. I would equate wearing a mask in public to smoking in bars and restaurants. People were saying the same shit. My body government is taking my civil liberties away blah blah blah. All that hand wringing has gone away. 

I wonder what would  happen if smokers decided to say FU, if you're not going to wear masks then I'm lighting up in here?

How do you smoke with a mask on?

I get your point though.  If you are choosing to go out and do you, a mask is a small ask.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

How do you smoke with a mask on?

I get your point though.  If you are choosing to go out and do you, a mask is a small ask.

Well if you're seated at a restaurant or bar your mask is off. 

22 minutes ago, rudolro said:

Well if you're seated at a restaurant or bar your mask is off. 

Which is why I agree bars should be closed and restaurants social distanced.

We need to stop people under 30 (AKA democrats) from spreading this virus so we can get back to "normal" sometime in 2020.

21 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

It's unfortunate that masks have become the symbol for it, but what would people suggest be the preferred method for people who are rightfully frustrated with their local or state governments' approach to this when that approach is simultaneously overbearing and incompetent. Chain up the swings, but keep Carl's Jr. open. Vocally support massive protests but functionally prohibit collective mourning. And that's not even the policy nightmare that is my workplace/place of learning where they are demanding diametrically opposed mandates (total suppression of any virus spread AND effective teaching). It's driving me bonkers and really pissing people off. I'm wearing my mask when required as a courtesy to other people, but people have a reason to be pushing against this stuff. 

Edit: and by "this stuff" I just mean the kafkaesque dictates out there, not masks specifically. 

You must be quite the swinger but apparently, not into chains.

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

But masks are tyranny or something.  

I agree that people should be wearing masks. I wear a mask whenever I go out in public. But I question Joe Biden’s push for federal legislation that would bound an offender in chains for a minimum of 30 years at a federal maximum security prison. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

37 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I agree that people should be wearing masks. I wear a mask whenever I go out in public. But I question Joe Biden’s push for federal legislation that would bound an offender in chains for a minimum of 30 years at a federal maximum security prison. 

Did he say this?  I guess he's making a case that if you know that you have virus and intentionally spread it you can receive that type of sentence. 

Federal mandate...30 years in prison...same thing...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.