Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalapeno

Stadium Article on 2020 Football Season

https://watchstadium.com/will-there-be-college-football-in-2020-athletic-directors-weigh-in-03-30-2020/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

G5 programs and below would be screwed if there is no football season.

It amazes me there has been no realignment threads on boards including this one.

17 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

https://watchstadium.com/will-there-be-college-football-in-2020-athletic-directors-weigh-in-03-30-2020/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

G5 programs and below would be screwed if there is no football season.

It amazes me there has been no realignment threads on boards including this one.

I don't think it will be just G5 that is screwed if there's no season.  The big-time programs are even more dependent on football money than G5 schools.

I'm pretty optimistic that things will be stable enough by then to play the game.  Stable enough to put 30K in a stadium to watch?  I'm not so optimistic about that.

UNM just dropped some sports in the last year.  If no football is played they might be hit the hardest.

Everybody is going to suffer. Even the Top revenue programs. Everybody is in debt up to their eyeballs and cutting the revenue stream won't help. How many programs are in huge debt for payouts to fired coaches ?

Will banks come in and start repossessing weight room equipment ? How about high end training and therapy eqpt ?

This could get ugly for the smaller programs.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

12 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

UNM just dropped some sports in the last year.  If no football is played they might be hit the hardest.

Football loses money every year. Basketball carries all the other sports, so a loss of BB would be devastating.

That’s just crazy. We’ll be laughing that we really thought the season couldn’t be played when August comes around.

The 1st wave will be totally over. We will have identified a few different treatments to keep people from getting seriously ill. The tiny second wave will hit as the season ends. Attendance will be down some, especially as we get to colder weather. Some of the elderly fans and other high risk people might watch games on TV and stay away from crowds until a vaccine is ready. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Season is gonna be played. If some schools don't participate (If that happens it will be P5 schools in large population pockets) then I can see the conferences replacing those teams on the schedules with conference teams.

Looking at Boise States schedule: Let's say Florida State doesn't play their season. The MWC will just replace FSU with Nevada or Fresno. But that will count as a non-conference game in the standings. Or let's say San Jose State doesn't play their season. Again, Boise State will just play Nevada or Fresno.

But I'm pretty sure everyone will participate. It will be interesting to see if any traditional powers struggle. I'd like to see an Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson come out of the gate and just get the sh!t kicked out of them. Of course by the end of the season the playoff committee and ESPN would say those games don't count because of circumstances but...

So how does that work with scheduling?  What if a Nevada already has a game schedule that week?  Do they schedule games on Monday mornings based on who is playing this year?

It SUCKS to be a CSU Ram!

On 4/1/2020 at 10:05 AM, Spaztecs said:

Everybody is going to suffer. Even the Top revenue programs. Everybody is in debt up to their eyeballs and cutting the revenue stream won't help. How many programs are in huge debt for payouts to fired coaches ?

Will banks come in and start repossessing weight room equipment ? How about high end training and therapy eqpt ?

This could get ugly for the smaller programs.

It’s going to be just as ugly if not worse for the big boys. We get $4-6 M for TV revenue. They get $30-40M. 

17 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

It’s going to be just as ugly if not worse for the big boys. We get $4-6 M for TV revenue. They get $30-40M. 

I think the P5s are much better situated to lose $30-$40M than the G5s are to lose $4-6M.

I've given a lot of thought to how no SDSU football season would affect me and here's where I am right now. I paid for my season tickets early on in order to get the 10% discount the school always offers. If there's no season and SDSU offers to refund my money, I'm inclined to tell them to just apply it to season seats for 2021 because I can afford to do that.

If the season is canceled, hundreds of thousands of college football fans will undoubtedly be given the same opportunity and the percentage of G5 fans who will ask for a refund is going to be vastly higher than for P5 schools. The most significant reason is that fans of big boy schools have considerably higher incomes on average. Then I would envision all schools reaching out to fans a year from now to up their donations to help recoup lost income and the big boys will be yugely more successful at that than the G5s.

Boom goes the dynamite.

23 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Don't know. I'd imagine if teams are gonna pass on playing the season all of the games will be scheduled before the season starts. The reason I think conferences will rely on themselves to schedule games is because I doubt P5 teams will do an away game against a G5, schools may not be able to afford to take another away game against a G5, and a school like Cal or UCLA may not wanna play a Wyoming or Nevada because there is a good chance they lose. Plus, if a few OOC games fall through for Wyoming, do you think they are gonna go play an away game @ Toledo or Georgia State? Probably not. They are gonna play a P5 team powerhouse away and get paid or they will just play another MWC team.

If a fair number of schools pass on playing, while others play...it will be an exhibition season.  I think P5 teams will just be happy to get a game and the whole P5/G5 thing will be minimized for a year.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

I think the P5s are much better situated to lose $30-$40M than the G5s are to lose $4-6M.

I've given a lot of thought to how no SDSU football season would affect me and here's where I am right now. I paid for my season tickets early on in order to get the 10% discount the school always offers. If there's no season and SDSU offers to refund my money, I'm inclined to tell them to just apply it to season seats for 2021 because I can afford to do that.

If the season is canceled, hundreds of thousands of college football fans will undoubtedly be given the same opportunity and the percentage of G5 fans who will ask for a refund is going to be vastly higher than for P5 schools. The most significant reason is that fans of big boy schools have considerably higher incomes on average. Then I would envision all schools reaching out to fans a year from now to up their donations to help recoup lost income and the big boys will be yugely more successful at that than the G5s.

Does their average fan actually make more money?  Or do they just have so many more fans that they have more wealthy fans?

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

There are a lot of P5 programs that run defecits, with their 30 mil+ in TV revenue.  Up to debt to their eyes.  It will hit programs like Cal and Wazzu harder than any G5 by far.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Does their average fan actually make more money?  Or do they just have so many more fans that they have more wealthy fans?

Well, their average alumni certainly make a lot more than the average alumni of SDSU. Maybe CSU has a law school and medical school but SDSU doesn't.

No better example of my point than Cal State Northridge. CSUN has long been known for not only being inexpensive, it has good liberal arts programs that provide a very good foundation for law school. My Matador alum buddy sent me an article a few years back which detailed what a large number of CSUN grads go on to become attorneys at USC and P12 schools, particularly UCLA. I'll bet virtually every one of those lawyers who are sports fans financially supports the school they studied law at rather than CSUN.

Boom goes the dynamite.

31 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Well, their average alumni certainly make a lot more than the average alumni of SDSU. Maybe CSU has a law school and medical school but SDSU doesn't.

No better example of my point than Cal State Northridge. CSUN has long been known for not only being inexpensive, it has good liberal arts programs that provide a very good foundation for law school. My Matador alum buddy sent me an article a few years back which detailed what a large number of CSUN grads go on to become attorneys at USC and P12 schools, particularly UCLA. I'll bet virtually every one of those lawyers who are sports fans financially supports the school they studied law at rather than CSUN.

A fair point and I won't argue it.  I still maintain though that most of the P5's enjoy better alumni support than the G5's due more to just plain having more fans.  It's easy to lose touch with your alma mater's athletics when they're relatively small time.  Definitely easier to stay on the bandwagon at Ohio State than the University of Ohio.