Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Productive shit you are doing while social distancing thread.

Working my pizza making technique. The family loves pizza. And we're ordering out once a week only. And it's not always pizza. So I've been making pizza at home. I have had a hard time getting the dough to stretch out in a nice, not perfect, but nice circle. Nailed it today. Nice and round. Not oval. 

P.S.

Did not use the pin today to stretch the dough. Hand stretched. Will try it again without it.

My phuckin lawn mower won't start. I figure it's because of old gas, so I'm going to siphon it out with a pump, mix the gas with brand new gas and see how that goes.

Then we'll be in business I hope.

1 hour ago, CV147 said:

My phuckin lawn mower won't start. I figure it's because of old gas, so I'm going to siphon it out with a pump, mix the gas with brand new gas and see how that goes.

Then we'll be in business I hope.

Try putting some gas on the sparkplug.  If that doesn't work get a new sparkplug.  If that doesn't work clean the filter.  If that doesn't work get a new filter.  If that doesn't work get a new lawnmower.

Mowed my lawn short to get rid of the old stuff and fertilized my lawn before it rained in SE Wyoming...  Want to till my garden but I don't think it's ready.  Need to go to my neighbors house and get a trailer of composted sheep shit for my garden and trees.  Trying not to lose my damn mind

38 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Do you have any blueprints/building plans for it? I’d like to build one out here.

I wish. I've been winging it and have cost myself extra money because of that. If I knew more about framing, it probably wouldn't be so bad. You can buy all of the material from your local Home Depot or Lowes.

I’m curious about those of you (@Wyoguns, @halfmanhalfbronco) still turning/tilling your gardens. I can understand if you’re turning last season’s dead crop debris into the soil and maybe if you only use fertilizer rather than compost and other mulches, but the labor savings of no till are just the tip of the iceberg, and that alone is huge.

I went no till about five years ago. I raked it in with a bow rake for the first two or three years just to get it in the top 2-3” of soil and even everything out, but I don’t even do that now. Just top dress with compost and/or manure, spread it evenly and you’re ready to plant. My results are at least as good as when I turned the soil, but that’s a purely anecdotal observation. My back is much happier too. 

1 minute ago, Posturedoc said:

I’m curious about those of you (@Wyoguns, @halfmanhalfbronco) still turning/tilling your gardens. I can understand if you’re turning last season’s dead crop debris into the soil and maybe if you only use fertilizer rather than compost and other mulches, but the labor savings of no till are just the tip of the iceberg, and that alone is huge.

I went no till about five years ago. I raked it in with a bow rake for the first two or three years just to get it in the top 2-3” of soil and even everything out, but I don’t even do that now. Just top dress with compost and/or manure, spread it evenly and you’re ready to plant. My results are at least as good as when I turned the soil, but that’s a purely anecdotal observation. My back is much happier too. 

My soil has some clay in it and it gets hard as a rock if I don't till...plus as of now I enjoy being out and working the soil.  I have a decent tiller and it takes me about 2 hours to till it all.  My garden is approximately 25 x 20 yards.  They do some no till on farms around here and have great results though.

1 hour ago, Posturedoc said:

I turned it with my compost.

I just planted a bunch of tomato and cucumber seeds for the first time (usually just buy starts in April/May).

Bought a new house over winter so going to have to start 100% from scratch this year.  Lots of trees so we’ll see if I can get enough sun. 

2 hours ago, Wyoguns said:

My soil has some clay in it and it gets hard as a rock if I don't till...plus as of now I enjoy being out and working the soil.  I have a decent tiller and it takes me about 2 hours to till it all.  My garden is approximately 25 x 20 yards.  They do some no till on farms around here and have great results though.

A nice layer of compost followed by a reasonably thick layer of straw and your hard clay will turn to friable loam in no time. The trick is not having it all blow off. If you can’t keep those layers in place, you’ve got to till. 

I'm doing video conference office hours twice a week with students. Other than that I've been catching up on my shows, playing Resident Evil 2 Remake, and cleaning out the garage. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

8 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

Building the wife a greenhouse. I'm an iron worker and hate working with wood.

20200323_114726.jpg

What siding are you using? I'm looking at doing something similar and would appreciate any input.

One of the Final Five..........

I'm working my way up to being productive. I need to get the backyard ready for a garden but it's going to be slow going with a bad back.  After this year I'd like to go no till, put some cover crops in this winter.

I am however excelling at the insomnia.

One of the Final Five..........

Finished testing and got my commercial license permit just before DMV went to appt only.

DMV stopped the driving portion of the tests for now but that's ok I still have a couple few weeks of training to do anyway.

7 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

A nice layer of compost followed by a reasonably thick layer of straw and your hard clay will turn to friable loam in no time. The trick is not having it all blow off. If you can’t keep those layers in place, you’ve got to till. 

I run my mower over my garden after I harvest everything in the fall and then till it all back in.  It helps but we get a LOT or wind here especially in the winter and this spring has been bad also.  

13 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Been working more hours at home than I ever did in the office.

The rest of the time I thank my lucky stars I’m a monogamous introvert 

Yes. This.

Jerking off with the MWBoard.

It's been to cold and rainy to get the garden going. Hopefully things dry out this week.

The spank material here is getting old.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor