Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Productive shit you are doing while social distancing thread.

1 hour ago, 406bleedsblue said:

I actually wish I was more handy with wood working, dry wall etc but I've been building towers for the last 25yrs (since I was 18). My hobbies are building race cars, sand rails and the likes. I can literally build you a 2000' tower or put roll cage in a car but getting an angle cut right on a 2x4 is beyond me. 

You should have thrown some red arn in then. Thatd be awesome

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

2 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

You should have thrown some red arn in then. Thatd be awesome

One way to make it need less supports :D

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

13 hours ago, happycamper said:

One way to make it need less supports :D

If I was a arnwerkr I'd use red iron to build the entire structure of my house.Then just fill it in with steel studs. think of all the cool shlt that could be done with 800+ sqft of wide open space per floor

Welp, so much for getting work done. Just got informed that I am being furloughed for two months. Looks like I'll be diving more into educating myself, and probably cleaning the house like a madman so I don't go crazy from boredom.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

54 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

If I was a arnwerkr I'd use red iron to build the entire structure of my house.Then just fill it in with steel studs. think of all the cool shlt that could be done with 800+ sqft of wide open space per floor

You can get pre manufactured metal buildings pretty competitive. Just get a 60'x40' one and there you go, 2400 SF of open space. They even come with wall girts. You need a good concrete guy running the slab and the templates or yer +++++ed though. 

Just now, AndroidAggie said:

i just learned 'arn' is maynard's way of saying the word 'iron'

i thought he meant amazon resource names.  i was like "damn, maynard.  cloud engineering is awesome.  high five."

It's how everyone on the job site says "iron". I have no idea why. arn workers, red arn, angle arn. 

17 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

I actually wish I was more handy with wood working, dry wall etc but I've been building towers for the last 25yrs (since I was 18). My hobbies are building race cars, sand rails and the likes. I can literally build you a 2000' tower or put roll cage in a car but getting an angle cut right on a 2x4 is beyond me. 

I mean if you have access to cheap HSS or pipe sections you could just weld threaded rod to the sides to attach 2x nailers for the panel attachment and build the whole thing out of steel

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

It's how everyone on the job site says "iron". I have no idea why. arn workers, red arn, angle arn. 

but you're not south of the mason dixon line.  that's very weird.

it took me an entire day to realize my 9th grade algebra teacher in east texas meant "FOIL" when she said the word "full". 

her: "Expand the polynomial with the full method."  

me: "As opposed to like half of the method?"

her: "Don't smart mouth to me, AA."

me: "Ma'am, what is the 'full' method?"

her: "It's the one I'm showing you!"

me: "I thought it was first outer inner last.  Foi-yull."

her: "Yes, that's what I've been saying.  Full."

me: ...

it took me an entire day to realize my 9th grade algebra teacher in east texas meant "FOIL" when she said the word "full". 

People here don't make flat "a"s. They say "beg" when they are talking about "bags". I don't think they hear it. That's not the only word but it's the easiest to point out. They don't just do a short "e" either, they do a little dipthong eh-eee (ei in Spanish orthography). beh-eeg. It's odd. 

Just now, happycamper said:

People here don't make flat "a"s. They say "beg" when they are talking about "bags". I don't think they hear it. That's not the only word but it's the easiest to point out. They don't just do a short "e" either, they do a little dipthong eh-eee (ei in Spanish orthography). beh-eeg. It's odd. 

that is.

is it the same thing as 'pellow' and 'melk' that i heard in utah?

that is.

is it the same thing as 'pellow' and 'melk' that i heard in utah?

Probably but just... more. I lived in Utah a few summers and just thought "oh their western accent is significantly less redneck), here it seems more regional. 

24 minutes ago, happycamper said:

You can get pre manufactured metal buildings pretty competitive. Just get a 60'x40' one and there you go, 2400 SF of open space. They even come with wall girts. You need a good concrete guy running the slab and the templates or yer +++++ed though. 

I mean if you have access to cheap HSS or pipe sections you could just weld threaded rod to the sides to attach 2x nailers for the panel attachment and build the whole thing out of steel

Nah, just install iron beams at same height as code calls for subfloor, then throw pandecking on top. that way you don't have to rely on some woodpecker for level on the rest of the house. 

Re: Iron v. Arn

Arnwerkers build stuff when they're not in prison, and live behind iron bars the rest of the time

20 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

My grandmother who is from Oklahoma says "full" compared to "foil" and she says "warsh" to "wash". 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

2 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

saying 'warsh' is fun tho

I always laugh when the old timers in Montana refer to "Washington" as "Warshington"

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Crick is always a good one too.

It really is. That might even be better than "Warshington" honestly. 

On 3/29/2020 at 10:27 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

Been putting together a play set in the backyard... and teaching my kids a few new words in the process. That corkscrew slide can go +++++ itself straight to hell 

Well that took longer than I would've liked... finally convinced the supplier to ship a replacement for a slide section that refused to align with the rest of it. Was pretty close to just tearing it all down and having a bonfire!!

20200429_185705.jpg.dd7c2cfdb1a8dfde47059c793f73a528.jpg