Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Productive shit you are doing while social distancing thread.

27 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Ha, well I have 2 things going for me

• I'm a structural engineer
  • My neighbor in Casper had almost exactly this set up and I watched it get demolished by wind and re-built, conservatively, 37 times. I saw every which way it wouldn't work. The wind was high but it's not like the design wind speed in Casper is way higher than other places, we just saw ~70% of the max ALL THE TIME instead of sparingly. 

Hmm

We get nasty gusts here. I am repurposing the frame from my Halloween crypt. I'll have to work on some reinforcement. It's more of an A frame roof which I will need to secure.

One of the Final Five..........

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

I dig this I'm a big tough football guy look at my lovely plants thread.

72729703_a_p.jpg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

4 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Pick up a can of Sea Foam at your local auto supply place and put some in the gas tank. That shit de-gummifies everything. Once you get it running it will smoke like a mofo for a few minutes then it will purr like a kitten.

Next time fill your tank all the way and add some stabilizer after your last mow of the year.

This is solid advice, but I would add that I've also had good results with:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mechanic-in-a-Bottle-4-oz-Synthetic-Fuel-Additive-2-004-1/202580655

Assuming you don't have something else going on either will probably work out well.

Two pickup loads of sheep shit on the garden...used my 1947 Ford tractor to spread it out...going out to till it in now.  About 3 weeks till it again and start planting my root crops...beets, carrots, potatoes, parsnips...

1 hour ago, tailingpermit said:

Cleaning out the bourbon collection by starting an infinity bottle. 

Add one or two ounces to a decanter of all the almost finished bottles...

Buffalo Trace makes a pretty good old fashioned, especially for the price.

6 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Cleaning out the bourbon collection by starting an infinity bottle. 

Add one or two ounces to a decanter of all the almost finished bottles...

E653A45F-EBD3-4079-BA7C-819D246DD6DD.jpeg

Aka a suicide when done with soda pop.

As.a bourbon fan, I feel like this is a bad idea. But part of me thinks it could work. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

10 hours ago, happycamper said:

If it's windy that will blow right over. Osb sheathing acts as the lateral resisting force for a light framed structure. You'll want diagonal braces between studs if you don't want sheathing. Alternatively you could go post and beam and used pt posts embedded ~3ft in to concrete. If you guys want plans let me know and I could sketch something up.

Could I get something from you? I live in a really windy place. Thanks in advance!

23 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Aka a suicide when done with soda pop.

As.a bourbon fan, I feel like this is a bad idea. But part of me thinks it could work. 

I belong to a bunch of different bourbon groups on Facebook, that’s where I got the idea - have heard amazing things about infinity bottles. 

Of course I won’t be mixing the expensive stash, just my everyday sippers.  

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Could I get something from you? I live in a really windy place. Thanks in advance!

For a greenhouse? Absolutely. How big were you thinking and just a box with a flat roof? Or a bit of a slope? How snowy is where you live?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

9 hours ago, happycamper said:

For a greenhouse? Absolutely. How big were you thinking and just a box with a flat roof? Or a bit of a slope? How snowy is where you live?

I was thinking a bit of a slope. We don't get a ton of snow throughout the year, but when we do, it comes in bunches. 

For size, probably 8' wide by 10' long?

Really appreciate it Happy. 

14 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

I was thinking a bit of a slope. We don't get a ton of snow throughout the year, but when we do, it comes in bunches. 

Absolutely. It will take me a little while to do it but when I get it done I'll just post it here (that way other people can look at it too). I'll go with post and beam because that's probably the easiest way to do it - the posts will essentially just be fence posts. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

So much for being productive right now though. I've spent all morning getting my kids doing their school work. Probably won't be done until 3-4pm at this rate. Then I need to go on my walk, and then it'll be time to cook dinner. 

I'm going to get a load of mulch delivered sometime this week though so I can get all of my front flower beds mulched out. I'll also probably spend some time reorganizing my home office to be a little more functional, and get some art and stuff hung that I've been meaning to do for months. 

9 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Absolutely. It will take me a little while to do it but when I get it done I'll just post it here (that way other people can look at it too). I'll go with post and beam because that's probably the easiest way to do it - the posts will essentially just be fence posts. 

After that, can you come to my house and build it?

This month we received 3 inches of rain so my back yard exploded with weeds. I took two days off last week to get rid of them. Fun times!  I have dogs so the wife doesn’t let me use chemicals to kill them, so it’s a shovel and rake for me. My back doesn’t like me very much right now.

31 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

The one that I'm building is 11x16 and now that the framing is done it seems small. Depending on how much you plan on putting in it, you may want to go bigger.

I've been fixing a hole where the rain gets in, that stops my mind from wandering. 

No really, I've been doing a lot of gardening too. Planted 3 citrus trees last week, raked about an acre of leaves up. Probably will get into something else later this week.