Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Productive shit you are doing while social distancing thread.

Since every library and archive in the state is closed, I'm doing a thorough canvassing of my notes, files and data collected thus far for dissertation research. This should take a few weeks and will ultimately be helpful in the long run and shorten the time it takes to write the thing.

As for home, I've just been spending time with my boy a lot..I plan this week to build two planters for the back yard so we can put in some flowers and veggies. Oh, and there's this small oak volunterr that sprung up a while back in the front yard but is in a real bad spot. Im gonna try to transplant it to a better spot. I've heard this is very difficult, so I dont expect success. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

14 hours ago, CV147 said:

My phuckin lawn mower won't start. I figure it's because of old gas, so I'm going to siphon it out with a pump, mix the gas with brand new gas and see how that goes.

Then we'll be in business I hope.

i had to take apart the fuel injector thingy -- some rotating spray nozzle that got gummed up with all the ethanol nonsense they put in there.  i used needles to scrape the ooze material out.  it worked again until the fuel lines also got gummed up.  if yours is in the same shape, i wish you luck.

12 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

I’m curious about those of you (@Wyoguns, @halfmanhalfbronco) still turning/tilling your gardens. I can understand if you’re turning last season’s dead crop debris into the soil and maybe if you only use fertilizer rather than compost and other mulches, but the labor savings of no till are just the tip of the iceberg, and that alone is huge.

I went no till about five years ago. I raked it in with a bow rake for the first two or three years just to get it in the top 2-3” of soil and even everything out, but I don’t even do that now. Just top dress with compost and/or manure, spread it evenly and you’re ready to plant. My results are at least as good as when I turned the soil, but that’s a purely anecdotal observation. My back is much happier too. 

i like the look of fresh soil.  and my back is still young enough to not whinge.  i'll be tilling this saturday.  i'm in the northern virginia area, so things are still pretty muddy but finally warm enough.

i'm still working on that "where are my fans?" map.  the gear report game we play. 

i'm also really interested in learning some more AI stuff.  i've been doing some computer vision at work, and i want to learn more about genetic algorithms, the kind of stuff that can play video games

Picked up acoustic guitar for 1st time in about 8 years.  It is now tuned, fingers have to harden. 

Been running the loop at Rancho San Rafael park,  trying to get my lungs back.  It sucks right now, will take 10-15 more runs to kick down. I don't smoke. 

cerified_Subarus.jpg

15 hours ago, CV147 said:

My phuckin lawn mower won't start. I figure it's because of old gas, so I'm going to siphon it out with a pump, mix the gas with brand new gas and see how that goes.

Then we'll be in business I hope.

Pick up a can of Sea Foam at your local auto supply place and put some in the gas tank. That shit de-gummifies everything. Once you get it running it will smoke like a mofo for a few minutes then it will purr like a kitten.

Next time fill your tank all the way and add some stabilizer after your last mow of the year.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

I’ve started building veggie garden (will plant in a few weeks) in the back yard and exercising every day. Time to get healthier. I’ve lost 11 lbs since March 1st. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

10 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

In little cups inside the house in a spot that gets lots of sun.

#MeToo

A6253A5F-8307-4001-9398-4151FC1F341A.jpeg.07e00749860f4c9a51ff594c3bf6c7e8.jpeg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

12 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

In little cups inside the house in a spot that gets lots of sun.

Nice!

I was walking down the Farmer’s Union canal yesterday and was very surprised to see some people planting (I assume) vegetables in newly built planter boxes.

They’re gonna have a bad time.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

15 hours ago, 406bleedsblue said:

I wish. I've been winging it and have cost myself extra money because of that. If I knew more about framing, it probably wouldn't be so bad. You can buy all of the material from your local Home Depot or Lowes.

If it's windy that will blow right over. Osb sheathing acts as the lateral resisting force for a light framed structure. You'll want diagonal braces between studs if you don't want sheathing. Alternatively you could go post and beam and used pt posts embedded ~3ft in to concrete. If you guys want plans let me know and I could sketch something up.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

37 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Nice!

I was walking down the Farmer’s Union canal yesterday and was very surprised to see some people planting (I assume) vegetables in newly built planter boxes.

Wait until the snow is off the butte.  Damn transplants.

Rolled my ankle pretty badly this morning so... not running any more:shots:starting a garden as well,  mostly potatoes, so so far it's been "how out some rows" and "put potatoes in the sun waiting for eyes to grow". Almost there...

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Nice!

Cold weather salad greens—lettuce, spinach, mustard greens, arugula, etc—are fine to plant now, and you can sow seeds of many root crops. They’d need to protect most of the other crops home gardeners typically grow with walls-O-water or something similarly heat retentive. 

10 hours ago, mysfit said:

What siding are you using? I'm looking at doing something similar and would appreciate any input.

I'm using the corrugated stuff from Home Depot. Sounds like happycamper knows waaaaay more about building this stuff than I do. He'd be the one to ask about it.

Just now, 406bleedsblue said:

I'm using the corrugated stuff from Home Depot. Sounds like happycamper knows waaaaay more about building this stuff than I do. He'd be the one to ask about it.

Ha, well I have 2 things going for me

• I'm a structural engineer
  • My neighbor in Casper had almost exactly this set up and I watched it get demolished by wind and re-built, conservatively, 37 times. I saw every which way it wouldn't work. The wind was high but it's not like the design wind speed in Casper is way higher than other places, we just saw ~70% of the max ALL THE TIME instead of sparingly. 

53 minutes ago, happycamper said:

If it's windy that will blow right over. Osb sheathing acts as the lateral resisting force for a light framed structure. You'll want diagonal braces between studs if you don't want sheathing. Alternatively you could go post and beam and used pt posts embedded ~3ft in to concrete. If you guys want plans let me know and I could sketch something up.

Thank you for the advice. I'm almost done building it now. We do have strong winds out here but it's attached to the shop and I'm going to put rock anchors in it.