Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brew_Poke

Highlights: Wyoming vs. UCLA (1987 NCAA Tourney)

10 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

Leckner and Dembo plus Brandenburg...nice.

I was there in the Pit to see the win against Gonzaga in 2002. Different group, but talented.

Didn't see the 1943 championship. :)

Wasn’t that Wyoming team highly ranked like top ten in the country? Who did they eventually lose to? 

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Wasn’t that Wyoming team highly ranked like top ten in the country? Who did they eventually lose to? 

Not sure of their ranking, but they lost their next game in the Pit against Arizona.

1 hour ago, LoboSage said:

Not sure of their ranking, but they lost their next game in the Pit against Arizona.

Pokes were an 11 seed when they beat the zags and later lost to Arizona.

I was in Salt Lake and seen them beat UCLA, what an atmosphere that was to be at. They lost to UNLV in Seattle in the sweet sixteen.

8 hours ago, wyo 1 said:

Pokes were an 11 seed when they beat the zags and later lost to Arizona.

I was in Salt Lake and seen them beat UCLA, what an atmosphere that was to be at. They lost to UNLV in Seattle in the sweet sixteen.

That was a really good UNLV team on its way to the Final Four. In fact, it was UNLV’s best team, at least until LJ showed up. They would lose in the FF in a great game to Steve Alford’s eventual national champion Indiana team. 

Pokes had a great run with two big upsets, but we wanted that game against UCLA bad.  When the 87 brackets were revealed there was quite a bit of excitement over the potential of finally playing UCLA.  I remember Jack Haley talking some trash after the pairings were announced saying how the Bruins would love to run into UNLV.  Following their loss to Wyoming and the Rebels beating Kansas State, Eldridge Hudson said, “we held up our end of the bargain.”

My family and I had a deal, if they went to a post-season game, I would stay and watch the family business. If I went, they would stay and watch the business. They really wanted to go to the WAC Tournament that year, so I deferred. When they came back and asked me if I wanted to go to the first rounds of the NCAA Tournament, I said I'd let them go, but I was going to Seattle. They laughed their way to SLC and I laughed all the way to Seattle...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

On 3/26/2020 at 9:51 PM, LoboSage said:

Leckner and Dembo plus Brandenburg...nice.

I was there in the Pit to see the win against Gonzaga in 2002. Different group, but talented.

Didn't see the 1943 championship. :)

Yeah.  When you get there do something.  Dont just piddle down your leg.  People want awards for making the tournament now.  I guess you can have a heck of a program now just by showing up there.  Orange slices for all I guess.