Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Actual sports talk (Boise State Basketball)

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Also three additional scholarships available for even more transfer help.

I really hope BSU doesn't go full Nevada from two years ago and have 10-11 xfers on the roster. Better to bring in 1 or 2 developmental freshman or just sit on those schollies than have essentially an entire team of transfers without enough minutes to go around.

12 minutes ago, KingBronco said:

I really hope BSU doesn't go full Nevada from two years ago and have 10-11 xfers on the roster. Better to bring in 1 or 2 developmental freshman or just sit on those schollies than have essentially an entire team of transfers without enough minutes to go around.

I mean, if it brings us one year where we get a NCAAT win, I will take it and live with the repercussions in the later seasons.

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I mean, if it brings us one year where we get a NCAAT win, I will take it and live with the repercussions in the later seasons.

It appears transfers particularly for G5 schools are becoming a big part of recruiting. It’s understandable as we are getting some kids that wouldn’t look at us as true freshmen and are coming in with some experience as compared to true freshmen recruits. 

On 3/26/2020 at 5:48 AM, Ibanez said:

Seriously? Boise State has been one of the better basketball schools in the Mountain West since they joined. That's like asking SDSU why they aren't serious about football.

Suds is serious about football. They just aren’t very good at it. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

18 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Yes. Three MWC titles, a few wins in the NCAA and Nevada dropped to second this year behind a stacked SDSU team. The horror of it all. 

22 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

As expected.  Entering his name but keeping eligibility if he wants to return. Combine is May 21-25th (have to be invited).  Prospects must withdraw by May 29th in order to return to college.

Don't think he's going anywhere.

18 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Don't think he's going anywhere.

He sure isn’t NBA material right now, but that hasn’t stopped a lot of similar skilled guys from leaving school early. I think his dad who was a former NBA player will be a big influence. I’ve seen him on a recent mock draft list which surprised me. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

He sure isn’t NBA material right now, but that hasn’t stopped a lot of similar skilled guys from leaving school early. I think his dad who was a former NBA player will be a big influence. I’ve seen him on a recent mock draft list which surprised me. 

He needs to large size his fast food orders. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

He needs to large size his fast food orders. 

He has been at Boise State three years and although he claims he has gained 40 pounds he doesn’t look any different than when he got here. Every adult wishes they had his metabolism. At his current weight he will get broken like a match stick in the NBA which is the biggest reason he probably will not be drafted. 

15 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

He didn't mention Mladen Armus either. This is be a new look team for sure. 

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1275869855376461829?s=19

How would you rank the players as of now in terms of overall impact?  I saw some of the transfers play at a scrimmage before last season - but mostly am ill-informed besides a highlight video here and there.

I would say (ranked in terms of who I think will play the most minutes per game):

1. Alston (17 ppg, 5 rpg, 3 apg)

2. Shaver (15 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg)

3. Kigab (11 ppg, 4 rpg, 1 apg)

4. Akot (some said best player on team last year?)

5. Armus (8 ppg, 8 rpg, at 6'-10, 230 he's a strong inside presence)

6. Doutrive (6 ppg, 3 rpg at Arizona)

7. Dennis (4 ppg, 2 rpg, 2 apg)

8. Rice (3 ppg, 1 rpg, 1 apg, coaches kid has to get playing time though)

9 Lukas Milner (at 6'-10, could see quite a bit of game action any time Armus gets foul trouble (12 ppg 10 rpg in Juco)

10 Naje Smith (23 ppg, 9 rpg, 2 apg in Juco, plus shot 38% from three at 6'-7", appears to be able to defend inside like RJ, so might see more playing time than I'm predicting this year.  There are a lot of talented wing players on this years team though.)

11 Pryor (probably red shirts but should have a bright future)

12. Ivory (walk on transfer)

13. Burke Smith (6'-11, but probably needs a red shirt to develop strength to play inside defense at this level)

14. Kuzmanovic (Serbian shooter - hardly any film on this kid and I think he red shirts)

15. Berry (walk on transfer)

---

Alston, Kigab, and Berry are the only Seniors this year.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

How would you rank the players as of now in terms of overall impact?  I saw some of the transfers play at a scrimmage before last season - but mostly am ill-informed besides a highlight video here and there.

I would say (ranked in terms of who I think will play the most minutes per game):

1. Alston (17 ppg, 5 rpg, 3 apg)

2. Shaver (15 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg)

3. Kigab (11 ppg, 4 rpg, 1 apg)

4. Akot (some said best player on team last year?)

5. Armus (8 ppg, 8 rpg, at 6'-10, 230 he's a strong inside presence)

6. Doutrive (6 ppg, 3 rpg at Arizona)

7. Dennis (4 ppg, 2 rpg, 2 apg)

8. Rice (3 ppg, 1 rpg, 1 apg, coaches kid has to get playing time though)

9 Lukas Milner (at 6'-10, could see quite a bit of game action any time Armus gets foul trouble (12 ppg 10 rpg in Juco)

10 Naje Smith (23 ppg, 9 rpg, 2 apg in Juco, plus shot 38% from three at 6'-7", appears to be able to defend inside like RJ, so might see more playing time than I'm predicting this year.  There are a lot of talented wing players on this years team though.)

11 Pryor (probably red shirts but should have a bright future)

12. Ivory (walk on transfer)

13. Burke Smith (6'-11, but probably needs a red shirt to develop strength to play inside defense at this level)

14. Kuzmanovic (Serbian shooter - hardly any film on this kid and I think he red shirts)

15. Berry (walk on transfer)

---

Alston, Kigab, and Berry are the only Seniors this year.

My guess is that Shaver, Rice, and Dennis will get less than your prediction and Akot, Doutrive, Milner and Naje will be higher. 

Akot, he was said to be the best player on the team last year. Rice said he made the biggest one year improvement of any player he's ever coached (coach speak, for sure, but it isn't all hyperbole. There is truth to it). Especially considering Alston made the biggest one year improvement of anyone in the country two years ago and Hutch went from 6 ppg to 18 ppg in one year. I really think he, Alston, and Doutrive will be 1, 2, 3 in minutes played. 

Doutrive, by most outlets, he was considered the best "get" of the transfers. Kigab was considered the weakest and he came in and averaged double digits right out of the gate. I think that him being able to play both the 1 and 2 will keep him on the floor a lot more. Thats also why I see Dennis and Rice's minutes dipping. 

Naje, he's the biggest wildcard. He's the first JC 1st team All American Boise has ever landed. But he also has a body type and skill set of several other players on the team. He should get minutes off the bench, but could provide a lot more if Rice decides he can rotate into the 5 spot like he did with RJ last year. He does have a solid low post game. 

Milner, he is a high upside guy but low on experience. He should get 10-15 minutes spelling for Armus, that is unless they choose to go small ball. They do have the overall length and size to probably make that work. 

Kuzmanovic, I'm not sure what to think of him. They really could use another shooter, but I'm not sure who's minutes he would take. There is already not much to go around. 

On 3/26/2020 at 5:37 PM, Wyobraska said:

Bob is that you back in 2010?  We're in 2020.  You should join us.  

Bob's favorite team, Air Force, probably doesn't have many transfers in or out, so we should take it easy on Bob not being familiar with the current landscape of the sport.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:37 PM, Wyobraska said:

Bob is that you back in 2010?  We're in 2020.  You should join us.  

I don't know why  Bob's statement is controversial.  Transfers are hit and miss. A little less so than HS recruits but they're far from sure things.

I have a lot of respect for Leon.  IMO he's one of the top 3-4 coaches and probably the best situational coach in the conference and I'm sure he's done his homework BUT one of his transfers was dismissed from his last squad. Akot, arguably under-performed and one is a JC guy.  JC guys are fools gold so often it's hard to predict how they'll perform at the next level.  Pulliam, a JC guy we brought in last year is an example. We basically got nothing from him as a Junior. We're hoping against hope we'll get something from him as a senior otherwise we'll be freshman heavy at guard.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

7 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I don't know why  Bob's statement is controversial.  Transfers are hit and miss. A little less so than HS recruits but they're far from sure things.

I have a lot of respect for Leon.  IMO he's one of the top 3-4 coaches and probably the best situational coach in the conference and I'm sure he's done his homework BUT one of his transfers was dismissed from his last squad. Akot, arguably under-performed and one is a JC guy.  JC guys are fools gold so often it's hard to predict how they'll perform at the next level.  Pulliam, a JC guy we brought in last year is an example. We basically got nothing from him as a Junior. We're hoping against hope we'll get something from him as a senior otherwise we'll be freshman heavy at guard.

Akot did underperform.  That said, I'd lean towards him enjoying some success in Boise for two reasons.  The pressure at Boise is much less than at Arizona. And having redshirted means he's now with his "true class" as Akot originally enrolled in college a year early.