Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kingpotato

Actual sports talk (Boise State Basketball)

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfsports/basketball/bring-on-the-hype-boise-state-basketball-could-have-the/article_428d2f17-d5b2-59f1-a682-642f8d67ae46.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

This is why Boise fans are so excited for next season. Easily the most talented Boise team in school history... now they just need to show they play well together. Two starters from a 20 win team will most likely be coming off the bench next season. The length and athleticism will be well above any team Boise has ever produced. 

It's about time you got serious about basketball 

Let's see if they can handle the expectations.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

11 hours ago, kingpotato said:

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfsports/basketball/bring-on-the-hype-boise-state-basketball-could-have-the/article_428d2f17-d5b2-59f1-a682-642f8d67ae46.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

This is why Boise fans are so excited for next season. Easily the most talented Boise team in school history... now they just need to show they play well together. Two starters from a 20 win team will most likely be coming off the bench next season. The length and athleticism will be well above any team Boise has ever produced. 

Is Duryea still a coach there? Is Alston coming back? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

There's a reason why transfers transfer. You guys lost a lot, I'd temper expectations. 

Modern college basketball is based on the transfer model. You can't use this reasoning.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

7 hours ago, Bob said:

There's a reason why transfers transfer. You guys lost a lot, I'd temper expectations. 

Three transfers, Caroline and the Martin twins, allowed Nevada to dominate the MWC for two years. Three transfers, Flynn, Wetzell, and Feagin transformed SDSU from an average/good team to a great team.

I’m just glad we will finally have the athletes to compete with the more athletic teams in the MWC. Rice has won twenty games in 8 of 10 seasons at Boise State with average overall team talent. I’m anxious to see what he can do with above average talent. The transfers are:

Akot-5 star SF xfer from UA

Doutrive- 4 star PG xfer from UA

Shavers- Portland U xfer PG who averaged 15 ppg in WCC

Armus- post xfer from Middle Tennessee State who averaged 10/10 ppg/rpg

Smith - PF JC recruit who averaged 23/8 ppg/rpg and was the POY in his league

Add the above guys to Dennis, Kijab and Alston who is a good bet to return, and we still have a couple of scholarships to give. 

Nevada has had great success with transfers lately and Alford has continued that recruiting along with adding a lot of freshmen.  It is like Mr Potato said in the opening post.  It comes down to chemistry and how quickly they can gel. That will be tough for all schools because there may not be a whole of, if any, summer practice.  I think Rice is a good coach so he that may not be a problem.  There is no doubt Boise has some really talented players coming on board.

4 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Nevada has had great success with transfers lately and Alford has continued that recruiting along with adding a lot of freshmen.  It is like Mr Potato said in the opening post.  It comes down to chemistry and how quickly they can gel. That will be tough for all schools because there may not be a whole of, if any, summer practice.  I think Rice is a good coach so he that may not be a problem.  There is no doubt Boise has some really talented players coming on board.

All of the above transfers except the JC recruit were with the team all of last season so lack of practice together is not an issue. 

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We win the conference in football, MBB, WBB and baseball next year.

No quidditch repeat champs? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

21 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Three transfers, Caroline and the Martin twins, allowed Nevada to dominate the MWC for two years. Three transfers, Flynn, Wetzell, and Feagin transformed SDSU from an average/good team to a great team.

I’m just glad we will finally have the athletes to compete with the more athletic teams in the MWC. Rice has won twenty games in 8 of 10 seasons at Boise State with average overall team talent. I’m anxious to see what he can do with above average talent. The transfers are:

Akot-5 star SF xfer from UA

Doutrive- 4 star PG xfer from UA

Shavers- Portland U xfer PG who averaged 15 ppg in WCC

Armus- post xfer from Middle Tennessee State who averaged 10/10 ppg/rpg

Smith - PF JC recruit who averaged 23/8 ppg/rpg and was the POY in his league

Add those guys to Dennis, Kijab and Alston who is a good bet to return, and we still have a couple of scholarships to give. 

Hopefully his attitude is not similar to that of his brother.(Vante Hendrix-UNM)

1 minute ago, stchas said:

Hopefully his attitude is not similar to that of his brother.(Vante Hendrix-UNM)

If so, he won’t last long with Rice and staff. We’ve let a number of problem kids go that would have really helped us and some that didn’t. Doutrive is the only one I’m concerned about as he had prior issues at UA. The others all seem like great kids. 

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

All of the above transfers except the JC recruit were with the team all of last season so lack of practice together is not an issue. 

It may not be an issue at all.  But that is not the chemistry I was talking about.  Will they share the ball, who are the glue guys.  Who takes the last shot.  Who takes charges.  Will guys accept different roles.  Talent really really really helps but all teams have to determine this stuff.

6 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

It may not be an issue at all.  But that is not the chemistry I was talking about.  Will they share the ball, who are the glue guys.  Who takes the last shot.  Who takes charges.  Will guys accept different roles.  Talent really really really helps but all teams have to determine this stuff.

Agreed. That and will they play defense are the keys. Still I’m glad we will finally have numerous athletic guys who can blow by guys off the dribble and create their own shot when we've only had one or two of those guys every season for years. 

11 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Seriously? Boise State has been one of the better basketball schools in the Mountain West since they joined. That's like asking SDSU why they aren't serious about football.

You could actually argue that for a lot of Long's tenure they weren't as serious as they could have been about football.  

10 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Is Duryea still a coach there? Is Alston coming back? 

Yes Duryea is still there.

Alston is assumed coming back but not certain. Covid is going to limit the amount of camps and workouts for pro scouts.  It was assumed he'd enter his name in the draft but not hire an agent.  Maybe he goes to Europe but I think he stays.

One thing in the article - it mentioned Abercrombie entering his name in the portal but thinking about returning?  Does anybody ever do that in a situation where there is no coaching change?