Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Have you or a family member been laid off due to Coronavirus world situation?

Have you or a family member been laid off due to Coronavirus world situation?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Have you or a family member been laid off due to Coronavirus world situation?

• YES. I have been laid off.
    • NO. I have not been laid off, BUT, I am on a mandatory furlough, WITHOUT pay.
    • I haven't been laid off, but my direct family member has.
    • No one in my direct family has been laid off. But extended family member has been laid off.
    • NO. I have not been affected.
    • I haven't lost my job, but I have lost income from other sources....
    • Other. (share or don't share below)

Niece was working as a server and the restaurant has closed temporarily, although I have a feeling it may not re-open. Her stepdad (is that my brother in law too?) has had his hours reduced to zero. His sister was laid off, and her husband has had his hours cut to zero. My other niece and her boyfriend have both been laid off. 

57 minutes ago, mugtang said:

As I mentioned in the other thread mwcboard revenue has collapsed because of this.  But I’m really happy to still have a job.  

My nephew owns a gym and it’s closed. 

In all honesty, the gym being closed is my biggest negative right now.  I am fortunate that that is the case for my household.

7 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

In all honesty, the gym being closed is my biggest negative right now.  I am fortunate that that is the case for my household.

I hate the gym being closed.  I get the why but I hate it.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

long story but my wife’s part-time job has been reduced to about five hours per week. we were banking her income so it’s not hurting us too bad but we went a long time with basically no savings and I am very afraid of that happening again. 

I work in the ski industry. I lost about a 1/3 of my seasonal income. Things not looking bright for summer seasonal work as well.

I feel bad for the seasonal employees that got forced out of their housing and have no jobs to go to.

I saw an article where SDSU students have been forced out of student housing, but are still on the hook to pay their rent through Jume.

But hey, as long as the billionaires get through this, all will be well.

:thumbsup:

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

My cousin is a college baseball assistant coach and co-owner of a gym and he is thanking his lucky stars that he married his wife who is a school nurse. She's considered an essential worker as she rides around on the bus to help deliver food to Special Ed. Children. If it wasn't for her job they would be homeless right now. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

Tax season for me is still rolling forward, though not quite as fast since they extended the deadline. My wife is a high school teacher and she is getting paid to self isolate at home right now. Our careers are pretty recession proof thankfully. 

My fiancee's boss called her at 7:30 this morning to tell her she was being laid off. She asked of she would be placed on furlough for job security and he tap danced around it giving her the "well we would love to have you back" speech without giving her a straight answer. She then asked if she could get help from their legal person to walk her through the unemployment process so that it doesn't get declined and all he said was "when they call we will give it the okay". He then told her good luck and hung up. +++++ing asshole. 

25 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

My fiancee's boss called her at 7:30 this morning to tell her she was being laid off. She asked of she would be placed on furlough for job security and he tap danced around it giving her the "well we would love to have you back" speech without giving her a straight answer. She then asked if she could get help from their legal person to walk her through the unemployment process so that it doesn't get declined and all he said was "when they call we will give it the okay". He then told her good luck and hung up. +++++ing asshole. 

Truly typical of what will be going down over the next several weeks. The billionaires will take theirs to cover themselves and their businesses. 

The rest of us will get laid off with a shoulder shrug and a heartfelt sorry and "Our thoughts and prayers are with you."

Americans Mayor

35 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

Laid off should not be an be issue for her UI. It won't even trigger the review process. 

I'm sorry that happened, your whole life has been turned upside down by this.

One of the Final Five..........

8 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Truly typical of what will be going down over the next several weeks. The billionaires will take theirs to cover themselves and their businesses. 

The rest of us will get laid off with a shoulder shrug and a heartfelt sorry and "Our thoughts and prayers are with you."

8 hours ago, mysfit said:

Laid off should not be an be issue for her UI. It won't even trigger the review process. 

I'm sorry that happened, your whole life has been turned upside down by this.

Thank you, she works as a physical therapist assistant at a small private practice. It's run by a husband and wife team, but they should have been closed last week when the stay at home order went into effect. The husband has been trying to justify his practice as essential, but patients are still cancelling. She got her hours cut substantially and got a call this morning saying she was being laid off. She asked if he would bring her back and he said "well hopefully our patients will start coming back". The patients are going because their health insurance is paying for it so OBVIOUSLY they will be coming back. This guy has a medical license, but he's a phucking moron. He still has his 2 BMW's and just purchased a new Corvette last month so he's got that going for him. 🙄

We have 50+ people in my org that travel internationally. The deployed staff, those in the field who remain in the field, rotate locations every 90 days between 7 sites in 5 countries in SW Asia and the ME.  We are well and truly fvcked at the moment.  Total freeze on travel. That means people that have been at their site for 90 days can't get out to see their families or to their next assignment and guys stateside can't get to their assigned location and start getting paid again.

Personally, I was supposed to be in Bahrain and Saudi this month. That's not happening. Scheduled to be in UAE next month. That's TBD at this point.  Revised schedule has me in Saudi in freakin' August! Thanks China!

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I'm luckily working from home, as I have asthma and my doc ordered me to stay home.  We have been fighting SS for my husband's disability, as he has not worked in over a year and probably never will again.  So this just slows down the disability even slower.  My fear is if the economy continues to be shut down, that eventually there will be lay offs.  We are a garden & pet company.  Amazon sent a push email saying they are just focusing on household essentials and will not be purchasing from us for a least a couple of months.  One of our products that they buy from us is dog/cat food and I'm thinking people aren't going to stop buying dog/cat food.  Most people I know, sadly, would feed their pet before themselves - of course I'm one of them....

down in a hole.jpg

11 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

I'm luckily working from home, as I have asthma and my doc ordered me to stay home.  We have been fighting SS for my husband's disability, as he has not worked in over a year and probably never will again.  So this just slows down the disability even slower.  My fear is if the economy continues to be shut down, that eventually there will be lay offs.  We are a garden & pet company.  Amazon sent a push email saying they are just focusing on household essentials and will not be purchasing from us for a least a couple of months.  One of our products that they buy from us is dog/cat food and I'm thinking people aren't going to stop buying dog/cat food.  Most people I know, sadly, would feed their pet before themselves - of course I'm one of them....

Garden seed as well.

Americans Mayor

38 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Garden seed as well.

Funny our seed company is based in Georgia but we grow our lawn seeds in Oregon.

down in a hole.jpg

2 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

Try Etsy?

I buy through chewy.com and they are way backed up with orders so people are also stocking up on pet food 

One of the Final Five..........

1 minute ago, mysfit said:

Try Etsy?

I buy through chewy.com and they are way backed up with orders so people are also stocking up on pet food 

Chewy is also one of our customers, as well as Petco, PetSmart, Walmart, Home Depot & Lowes.  

down in a hole.jpg