Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

The First Domino Has Fallen

Canada has pulled out of the 2020 Olympic games due to health concerns. Expect other countries to follow. 

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/03/22/canada-pulls-out-of-olympics-as-ioc-set-deadline/?fbclid=IwAR3SNvK20WWIaeA0fVL3qpQw-gknLNv8Kd9Iyymei8UtMCehYTaAZUhBeo0

Big challenge for Japan.i was on a cruise last august and we tied up right at the Olympic village. All of those building and housing are planned to be occupied after the games. Delay is major but also very necessary. This pandemic will take months to wind down.

This thing was going to be postponed. Everyone has know it for a month or so but they couldn’t admit it. Now that it has come time for countries and athletes to start mobilizing the decision has come to a head. It’ll be indefinitely postponed be Friday.

Are the olympics so important that they can't be cancelled?  Why delay a year, just cancel, regardless of the issues that it causes Japan.  Just push the host cities back with Japan getting the next summer games which I think would be 2024.

Veteran International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told USA TODAY Sports Monday afternoon that the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are going to be postponed, likely to 2021, with the details to be worked out in the next four weeks.

“On the basis of the information the IOC has, postponement has been decided,” Pound said in a phone interview. “The parameters going forward have not been determined, but the Games are not going to start on July 24, that much I know.”

Pound, a Canadian who has been one of the most influential members of the IOC for decades, said he believes the IOC will announce its next steps soon.

“It will come in stages,” he said. “We will postpone this and begin to deal with all the ramifications of moving this, which are immense.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2020/03/23/olympics-2020-ioc-member-tokyo-games-postponed-dick-pound-coronavirus/2899848001/

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

36 minutes ago, unionman said:

Are the olympics so important that they can't be cancelled?  Why delay a year, just cancel, regardless of the issues that it causes Japan.  Just push the host cities back with Japan getting the next summer games which I think would be 2024.

If the Olympics can’t be held in summer a year from now, we are going to have a lot bigger problems than athletic competition. 

20 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

If the Olympics can’t be held in summer a year from now, we are going to have a lot bigger problems than athletic competition. 

Venues and athletic housing are major issues.  Some good chance it could be canceled all together. 

20 hours ago, RSF said:

Veteran International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told USA TODAY Sports Monday afternoon that the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are going to be postponed, likely to 2021, with the details to be worked out in the next four weeks.

“On the basis of the information the IOC has, postponement has been decided,” Pound said in a phone interview. “The parameters going forward have not been determined, but the Games are not going to start on July 24, that much I know.”

Pound, a Canadian who has been one of the most influential members of the IOC for decades, said he believes the IOC will announce its next steps soon.

“It will come in stages,” he said. “We will postpone this and begin to deal with all the ramifications of moving this, which are immense.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2020/03/23/olympics-2020-ioc-member-tokyo-games-postponed-dick-pound-coronavirus/2899848001/

Made official today.  One year delay.  No need to cancel it unless we're in the same boat a year from now...and as soupslam said if we are the Olympics are the least of our concerns.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

21 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

I'd go by Richard

7-beavis_and_butthead_headbanging-142308

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

A showcase for Globalitst tyrrants and thugs is in danger of being postponed or cancelled. 

The profits from that showcase go to the most corrupt organization that exists outside the framework of the U.N.

And that cancellation is somehow supposed to be a negative? Cancel 'em all AFAIC.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

Image result for dominos falling.gif

Bummer...we need some entertainment while we're all stuck at home.

At least they're delaying it and not cancelling. I don't know specifics with Japan, but I'd imagine they've dumped billions into infrastructure, would be pretty shitty for them if it was all for nothing.

10 minutes ago, bigd said:

Bummer...we need some entertainment while we're all stuck at home.

At least they're delaying it and not cancelling. I don't know specifics with Japan, but I'd imagine they've dumped billions into infrastructure, would be pretty shitty for them if it was all for nothing.

I'm bummed too. I like rugby and was looking forward to the Sevens competition. And Track & Field is my favorite Olympics event. Oh well, postponed sure beats cancelling.

26 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Need to wait one more year now for Fazekas to make his Olympics appearance suiting up for Japan.

I forgot about that, it's really too bad. He isn't getting any younger, but Rui should only get better with another year in the NBA.